PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 Fuel Economy - Bad MPG?

kaillum
1st Mar 2007, 11:42
Hi Guys,

I've had a '98 5 door 1.8 Freebie with 80k on the clock for a couple of months now, and have been monitoring my fuel usage from the start (I know, geeky kinda thing to do!)

Up to last week i'd done 2778.3 miles, and used 441.76 litres of unleaded.. now according to the site http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php that gives me an average of 28.59 MPG.

Most (prolly over 80%) of my driving is my daily 85 mile commute on motorways.. Looking at the published figures for the 1.8, and even other owners reckoning they say mid to high 20's around town and 30+ on the motorway..

Am I getting a bad average? On the motorwayI seldom drive faster than 70, normally on less than 1/2 throttle, I run my tyres at 34psi and dont have a roof rack / roof bars or any abnormal loads... It just seems a little lower than I expected...

Any sugestions on how to increase it? or is it about right and i'm just paranoid?

Desert Warrior
1st Mar 2007, 11:45
Thats about right. both of my petrols did 30-32mpg.

NinoNick
1st Mar 2007, 11:55
Hi Kaillum,
You're mpg sounds pretty good.

Our 1.8 gave us at best 28 mpg. Not bad considering the engine does have to work quite hard to lug that body around and fifth on dualcarriageways/motorways feels like it could be geared higher.
Probably find that type of tyres used comes into the equation as well as weather and driving style.

Happy motoring
Nick

rickyrooo1
1st Mar 2007, 15:17
it's about fair as far as i can judge, i've had mine a few weeks now and i'm getting 29.5 mpg on my weekly commute/tatting about, i don't go over 70 and try to stick to 3000 rpm maximum i have done 1 long trip to barmouth using this rule and i got about 32-33 mpg if memory serves me right,i've just come from a td5 defender that was doing 25-27 mpg using the same rule and seeing as petol is cheaper than derv it's as much as i can hope for.

incidentally i'm running pirelli scorpions 17 inch at 30 p.s.i and i have roof bars on...

kaillum
2nd Mar 2007, 09:30
thanks for that guys...

sounds about right then.. think I was just hoping for a bit better...
my weekly commute is about 400 miles, plus pottering about at the weekend.. should have gone for the diesel! :)

Llanigraham
2nd Mar 2007, 10:40
HeHe.
Buy a diesel.
Average over the last 3 years of 38 mpg!
Best of 45 mpg between fills, but that was when the fuel problems were on.

rickyrooo1
2nd Mar 2007, 14:26
HeHe.
Buy a diesel.
i did my research when i bought the freebie faced with the fact you had to spend at least 1500 quid more to get a diesel and maybe a fraction more if you didn't want starship mileage not to mention diesel is around 8p a litre more i worked out it would take a good 3 years to even make up the difference in price so i opted for the petrol one.its taken some getting used to after 20 years of diesel owning but apart from the lack of engine braking and low end tourqe (have to use the gearlever more now lol) it's not too bad.

doobreydog
2nd Mar 2007, 22:46
Tyres can make a difference of about 5mpg....LPG eqivalent £ for £ I get 40mpg on MTs compared to 45mpg+ on ATs.

nomoreleafs
3rd Mar 2007, 21:01
Hi Guys,

I've had a '98 5 door 1.8 Freebie with 80k on the clock for a couple of months now, and have been monitoring my fuel usage from the start (I know, geeky kinda thing to do!)

I dont see anything geeky about clocking your MPG.Fuel is such a rip off these days it is too expensive to waste.

kaillum
5th Mar 2007, 13:31
HeHe.
Buy a diesel.

nah.. glad I bought a Petrol...

I did all the sums before buying, and even with my 18k mileage a year commuting, i'd still need to own the car for 2 years to get any benefit from a diesel.. And that was based on actual cost of ownership, including servicing and petrol and depreciation.. the diesel worked out about £300 a year better off.. but the purchase price was so much more!

thanks for that doobreydog.. its something I didnt think of considering! I'm looking at replacing the tyres in the near future.. so i'll bear that in mind when i'm choosing them.. I've currently got Federal Maha Steels on!!! They've got about as much grip as a wet fish sliding down an Water shoot!

i'm doing a full service this weekend, so after a set of new plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, filters and oil i'll reset my spreadsheet and start the calculations again.. :)

kaillum
9th Mar 2007, 12:33
Well, still got to do the service this weekend, but last Saturday I put some Redex Injector Cleaner in with a full tank, and have filled up again on Tuesday and put some more Redex in, and the last tankful has given me 30.49mpg! already, with just 2 tankfuls or injector cleaner nearly 2mpg more!

The only change thats been made has been the Redex. Exactly the same driving style motorway miles and journey times...

I'll be doing the new plugs, leads, dizzy cap rotor arm and oil & filters this weekend and see what difference that makes!

Told you I was a bit geeky :D

nomoreleafs
10th Mar 2007, 10:18
I understand looking at it long term,but the way I look at it is week to week running.We all have a time when money is short and saving ten or twenty quid a week on fuel could make all the difference.

LCW11
10th Mar 2007, 20:22
Tyres can make a difference of about 5mpg....LPG eqivalent £ for £ I get 40mpg on MTs compared to 45mpg+ on ATs.

I am reading right?? youve Gas'ed your freelander, how have you found it , did you have it done or was it done when you had it.

Cheers Lee

doobreydog
11th Mar 2007, 01:23
yes its gassed.2001 FL V6...72 ltr underslung tank giving approx 60ltrs of usable gaswhich gives 200-240 miles per tank...Was initially converted from new but when I bought it original system was playing up a bit and I had it replaced with a much more up to date system....I personally cant fault it....Fires up on regular unleaded (all systems do) then switches itself over after 1-2min to run on gas....get equivalent of 40-45mpg £for£ compared to petrol price and a few more compared to diesel.

No noticable difference between petrol & gas apart from cost of running:)

alec hafele
11th Mar 2007, 12:00
Your fuel consumption is about right. I have a LHD '99 Freebie I bought new in Syria. It is diffrent spec to Western Europe models as it has a low compression version of the 1.8 K series and an Australia/New Zealand EMU, designed to accommodate the lower 92 RON petrol available downunder. I have covered about 75000 miles since new on mainly long runs all over Europe and the near east. It depends on the quality of the petrol to some extent but in W. Europe I log a little better than you have and I put this down to the engine spec:)
Alec

alec hafele
12th Mar 2007, 18:35
Using Redex is not Geeky neither is a gas conversion if you can do it, its all down to pounds and pence in the end. The worst thing that happened to my Freebie was when some horrible little person filled my Freebie with leaded petrol from a pump marked unleaded when I was in Romania. the car coped but I did not find out until months later when it failed the emissions bit of the good old MOT. The new Cat cost me very, very dear, something like 500 pounds if I remember correctly! The problem with owning a diesel overseas is that the fuel quality can be awful! I am currently working in Bosnia where diesel is king but even the locals will tell you the fuel is universally dirty. A colleague has a oil burning Freebie and she is forever having to get the injectors cleaned and in the winter its a nightmare as the fuel freezes all the time (locals don't turn off trucks and busses at night, they're left idling and empty at the kerb because of this). Petrol mat cost more but running overseas its the best bet
Cheers, Alec

kaillum
12th Mar 2007, 19:08
WooHoo!

Just done another tank ful, and without Redex, and with the service bits on got 338.2 miles for 47.09litres...

Giving me a whopping 32.65mpg!

But.. This has been running in 2 wheel drive! the slack VCU barely putting any drive to the rear wheels.. I've just had this fixed, so will have to see what damage it does to the MPG..