PDA

View Full Version : Air Rifle Choice for a poor beginner

se7enup
19th Jun 2007, 21:10
I want to buy an air rifle and learn how to use it (everyone has to start somewhere:rolleyes: )
I guess it will be mainly used for target practice but I would like to have a go at pest control later on, once I've learned to actually hit things!
Idealy I'd like a rifle with a scope and possibly a silencer.
My budget for the rifle, scope, sling and silencer is a pityful 150 - 200 (absolute max)

I'd consider a secondhand rifle if the price/condition was OK

I really haven't got a clue what to go for.
Some websites have some great looking rifles and they come in at under 80. This is great (suits my meager budget) but I have a feeling that the rifles will turn out to be a pile if poo!

Anyone got any recommendations (either for a decent air rifle or somewhere to buy one from)

And Airbrush....it's all your fault :D

Alane
19th Jun 2007, 21:13
If you can get hold of 1 for that price a Rapid 7 is a great bit of kit. I had one for years and had no problems at all with it. You can pick up a good 3-9 x 40 scope for peanuts now.
Ade

Airbrush
19th Jun 2007, 21:31
Come over for a plink with mine.I'll point you in the right direction.;)Agree with Ade about Rapids,will be a bit pricey for a beginner though.

Andy.

uponblocks
19th Jun 2007, 21:36
I used to have a welranch 2.2, great range and even better with a telescopic sight. it cost me 200 but that was 10 years ago :D

mistericeman
19th Jun 2007, 21:52
how bout one of these ,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/CrosmanKingRatcatcher.html

cheap ish ,available in versions to take co2 capsules or larger co2 canisters ,accurate ,and enough power for pest control

Deliverer
19th Jun 2007, 21:59
If you wait and save a little more and you won't be disappointed in buying one of best springer rifles in an Air Arms TX200. Coming in just under 300.00 with gunbag, silencer, 500 AAfield pellets, another 40.00 gets you an adequate Hawke scope.

Ramsbottom (http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/jsr.cgi/home?a=1&b=0&z=0&aP=0) is a good online store which I have used, delivered with 2 days and was cheapest in UK.

Rifles under 80.00 are cheap Chinese crap - beware.

Check your local gun dealers they will often have 2nd hand ones for sale and might get you a TX200 in your price range. Also check the shooters forums. Look for brands like Air Arms and Weihrauch.

If I had the money to blow I would leave the springer tech behind and go for an Air Arms S410 PCP rifle with the air tank and/or pump. Failing that, instead of buying my new TX200 Hunter Carbine MKIII I was considering buying a 2nd hand AirArms S200 with 10 shot conversion which would have worked out about same price.

se7enup
19th Jun 2007, 22:00
how bout one of these ,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/CrosmanKingRatcatcher.html

cheap ish ,available in versions to take co2 capsules or larger co2 canisters ,accurate ,and enough power for pest control

I was just looking at one of these:
http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/CrosmanRabbitstopper.html

Airbrush
19th Jun 2007, 22:02
I was just looking at one of these:
http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/CrosmanRabbitstopper.html

Save your money Steve.;)

Andy.

Dave-H
19th Jun 2007, 22:16
As Andy says, dont waste your money on one, or any weapon that takes co2 capsules, they are just not powerful enough for humane pest control.

Dont believe everything you read on sales sites, remember they want your money! :rolleyes:

Stick with Air Arms as a starter, good quality rifles at fair prices.

Alane
19th Jun 2007, 22:20
Weihrauch's another excellent make, and a good HW77 or HW35 should be very cheap nowadays

Backs4more
20th Jun 2007, 14:52
I would also recommend an Air Arms TX 200. I have the carbine version. There are a few comming up secondhand now for around the 200 mark.

I use mine for rabbits and pidgeon and I think it is a great, reliable rifle. With a half decent scope its easy to drop a rabbit and I have taken around a dozen pheasants to with a single shot to the head.

If you are target shooting, then a 177 is best, vermin, 22.

What you have to decide on is whether you want a break barrel, under lever or pre-charged. All have there ups and downs. The TX is under lever and the pellet is placed in the barrel half way along the rifle. A pre-charge is normally heavier, and you have to spend a bit of money on the filling equipment, but I do like the idea of bolt action and magazine as sometimes wiht the TX I may have several rabbits infront and by the time I drop the first one and reload the others are long gone.

Basically, any rifle by Air Arms, Theoben, Logan (mmmm, S-16..nice!), Weihrauch and even Webley are going to be good, but you need to work out what you want the rifle to do the most.

Be warned though..it can be an expensive hobby if the shooting bug gets to you!!

I would HIGHLY recommend these guys for buying a rifle from...credit terms and FREE servicing for life.

http://www.theairguncentre.com/mainframe.asp

Airbrush
20th Jun 2007, 15:48
I would also recommend an Air Arms TX 200. I have the carbine version. There are a few comming up secondhand now for around the 200 mark.

I use mine for rabbits and pidgeon and I think it is a great, reliable rifle. With a half decent scope its easy to drop a rabbit and I have taken around a dozen pheasants to with a single shot to the head.

If you are target shooting, then a 177 is best, vermin, 22.

What you have to decide on is whether you want a break barrel, under lever or pre-charged. All have there ups and downs. The TX is under lever and the pellet is placed in the barrel half way along the rifle. A pre-charge is normally heavier, and you have to spend a bit of money on the filling equipment, but I do like the idea of bolt action and magazine as sometimes wiht the TX I may have several rabbits infront and by the time I drop the first one and reload the others are long gone.

Basically, any rifle by Air Arms, Theoben, Logan (mmmm, S-16..nice!), Weihrauch and even Webley are going to be good, but you need to work out what you want the rifle to do the most.

Be warned though..it can be an expensive hobby if the shooting bug gets to you!!

I would HIGHLY recommend these guys for buying a rifle from...credit terms and FREE servicing for life.

http://www.theairguncentre.com/mainframe.asp

Agree with most of the above,but the .177 for targets & .22 for vermin statement is an out dated view.

With the flatter trajectory it's easier to put a pellet in the kill zone.;)

This is age old argument about which calibre is best is pretty well over in air rifle circles.The .177 is a superior calibre.

We could debate this forever on here but it would probably be easier to direct any one who is interested to a shooting forum that Dave H & I also use.:)

Andy.

uponblocks
20th Jun 2007, 15:53
Weihrauch's another excellent make, and a good HW77 or HW35 should be very cheap nowadays
oops that's who I meant:D

Deliverer
20th Jun 2007, 16:24
I would also recommend an Air Arms TX 200. I have the carbine version.

I have the TX200 MKIII hunter carbine also.
I kind of wish now that I had gone for the full length version of the TX200.
The carbine is way too loud for hunting without a silencer so I have an external silencer on full time so that loses any benefit of the being shorter rifle in first place. The TX200 barrel has an internal moderator unlike the Carbine, I would like to now how effective that is on its own.
Do you find the TX200 heavy? I find it a pig to carry and shoot standing for any length of time, I look forward to when warranty is up so I can fit a sling to the stock.
Other than that I do think the rifle is great, well made, looks good with consistent groupings when using .22 AA fields (what pellet you use?).

se7enup
20th Jun 2007, 18:41
We could debate this forever on here but it would probably be easier to direct any one who is interested to a shooting forum that Dave H & I also use

Andy, any chance you can pm the "url"

Keg
21st Jun 2007, 14:52
I also have a TX200- no complaints at all, squirells and rabbits & crows are all grist to its mill.

steve@offroadin
23rd Jun 2007, 09:40
http://airarmsclub.21.forumer.com/index.php
Air arms owners club.

have a tx200 for 170 at the mo http://airarmsclub.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=620

For your 200 you won't get a PCP (which are much easier to shoot and are lighter than springers) but IMHO the tx200 is the best spring rifle you can buy (I have a ,22 carbine one)

AJC
23rd Jun 2007, 11:24
IMHO the tx200 is the best spring rifle you can buy (I have a ,22 carbine one)I considered the AA TX200 after it was recommended to me but went for the AA Pro Sport instead. Having had it for about a year now and having used the TX200 on several occasions I much prefer the Pro Sport purely for the balance. It looks great too. ;)

AJ

BerlinBloc
23rd Jun 2007, 14:19
AA Pro Sport instead.

Didn't know you could still buy the AA pro sport new but I now see you can.

Does look nice http://www.air-arms.co.uk/PROSPORT.htm

but then again, all the AA have got a nice look and finish to them IMHO except maybe the EV2.

steve@offroadin
24th Jun 2007, 10:08
Prosports are really nice, not kean on the cocking lever though. Wouldn't mind a TX200 SR though, shame they dont still make them

Backs4more
26th Jun 2007, 08:33
[quote=Airbrush;870108]Agree with most of the above,but the .177 for targets & .22 for vermin statement is an out dated view.
[quote]

Thats a fair comment :) Comming from a military background I always liked the bigger calibre for dropping targets. A 7.62 will always drop something when a 5.56 needs a few more rounds with it to be as effective ;)

Purely on a humane note I would chose the 22 over a 177, but point taken :D

Backs4more
26th Jun 2007, 08:36
I have the TX200 MKIII hunter carbine also.
I kind of wish now that I had gone for the full length version of the TX200.
The carbine is way too loud for hunting without a silencer so I have an external silencer on full time so that loses any benefit of the being shorter rifle in first place. The TX200 barrel has an internal moderator unlike the Carbine, I would like to now how effective that is on its own.
Do you find the TX200 heavy? I find it a pig to carry and shoot standing for any length of time, I look forward to when warranty is up so I can fit a sling to the stock.
Other than that I do think the rifle is great, well made, looks good with consistent groupings when using .22 AA fields (what pellet you use?).

Agreed on the noise issue. As for weight, yip, its a heavy rifle, but I like that. My favourite riflr of all time is the old 303 Lee Enfield, so I feel at home :D

Pellet wise I use Accupells. With a head shot they drop a rabbit instantly.

tinyone
28th Jun 2007, 11:59
dave what do you mean by "or any weapon that takes co2 capsules, they are just not powerful enough for humane pest control."

this statement is not true:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox: i hate it when people assume this!!!:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:,

i have a modified co2 crosman 2260 rabbitstopper ok it is not as powerful as a full blown pcp logun so you have to get closer to bunnies than with a logun, and it has only 10-15 full power shots,
but it is completely capable of being humane you can have a legal limit air rifle and still not be humane as some people are inexperianced as fist thing they do is go out hunting and are a very poor shot but in the right hands a co2 (.22) air rifle is a good shooter,

i often go out and taking pigeons in barns 10-15m away with accurate and deep penetrating shots and i can take bunnies out to 30m,

the amount of full power shots can be increased with a paintball gun reservoir instead of small cartridges then 100+ shots can be achieved,

def110300tdi
1st Jul 2007, 17:11
BSA Lighting XL is a very good weapon, about 200 I think.

I bought this one and it does me fine with target and vermin, with targets at 30 yards I can get a grouping with 10 pellet within a 5 pence piece.

But this is one of those questions where you ask a question and get 1000 answers. Get in touch with a good gun shop that has its own range and ask to try before you buy.

se7enup
2nd Jul 2007, 19:25
I'm aiming (sic) to get round Airbrush's for a chat and a few shots of his rifle.
At the moment an Air Arms TX200 is top of my list.
Problem is I'm left handed, so finding a decent one may prove difficult.

The alternative is to buy a new one but that means the prices are going to get scary.

(Not that I've got the bug yet but.....) The Air Arms PCP rifles are nice:D
All I need is a divers bottle, some air and some money:rolleyes:

AJC
2nd Jul 2007, 19:36
Just for info, AA don't supply the Pro Sport in a LH stock although I'm sure there'll be an aftermarket one available.

AJ

spandit
5th Jul 2007, 23:10
Go for a .20 calibre, best of both worlds :)
I've got an Air Arms SE90 which came with one of the best stocks on a production rifle. I'd love a TX200HC, though, so go for one of those.

spandit
5th Jul 2007, 23:15
Just checked, you can't get a TX200 in 20 calibre... shame.
Get one in .22 then

Foxdog01
7th Jul 2007, 18:16
Have a look here http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

If you want an excellent if a little heavy spring gun then may I surgest the Wheirach HW80, Ive had one for years its been awsome at vermin.
But remember its not the gun its the feild craft of the shooter getting close to the target and then putting the slug in the right place that makes the kill.

se7enup
21st Jul 2007, 11:34
I just thought I'd post an update.

I ended up going the whole hog and bought an Air Arms S200 (.177), a 2-24/50 scope and a 7 litre divers bottle.
All in all I spent around 500:eek: (way more than I first bugeted for!)

However, even though I say it myself - it ws money extremely well spent.
I'ts a great gun, clinically accurate and it just seems to be getting better the more I use it.

Thanks to Airbrush fort letting me use his "range" and showing me how to zero the scope.
To give an example of just how good this gun is, we (Airbrush and I) had a 5 shot shoot out (40mm targets over 35yds)
Although Andy was shooting a Theoben MFR and has 20 years shooting experience, he only just won with slightly tighter grouping.

Thanks for all the advice given here, it really helped me to take the time to research my purchace and avoid any disapointment.

I just need to find a club or some land to shoot on now as since I got the gun, my back garden just got too small:D

Airbrush
21st Jul 2007, 13:36
I just thought I'd post an update.

I ended up going the whole hog and bought an Air Arms S200 (.177), a 2-24/50 scope and a 7 litre divers bottle.
All in all I spent around 500:eek: (way more than I first bugeted for!)

However, even though I say it myself - it ws money extremely well spent.
I'ts a great gun, clinically accurate and it just seems to be getting better the more I use it.

Thanks to Airbrush fort letting me use his "range" and showing me how to zero the scope.
To give an example of just how good this gun is, we (Airbrush and I) had a 5 shot shoot out (40mm targets over 35yds)
Although Andy was shooting a Theoben MFR and has 20 years shooting experience, he only just won with slightly tighter grouping.

Thanks for all the advice given here, it really helped me to take the time to research my purchace and avoid any disapointment.

I just need to find a club or some land to shoot on now as since I got the gun, my back garden just got too small:D

Yep, that was good shooting Steve, your a natural.;) They were 25mm targets though.;)

Andy.

Dave-H
21st Jul 2007, 20:42
Top choice, i use a S200 for airgun required work too ;)
Got the 10 shot conversion on mine - wel worth the extra 60 :)

se7enup
21st Jul 2007, 21:41
Dave - that's my first "upgrade" :D

200tdisthedaddy
23rd Jul 2007, 20:59
hello i shoot target air rifles but a very good starter gun is the airarms s400 cheaper than a second hand rapid plus it new so no ones messed with it

ButtonMonkey
14th Sep 2007, 17:30
Dave - that's my first "upgrade" :D

Just done it to mine and had to change the scope mounts as the ones that were upplied with the scope weren't tall enough to give clearence to get the mag in and out

mistericeman
14th Sep 2007, 17:41
hello i shoot target air rifles but a very good starter gun is the airarms s400 cheaper than a second hand rapid plus it new so no ones messed with it

makes me kick myself when i think of selling my anschutz air 2001 ,fantastic rifle ,made me shoot sooooo accurate ,all the benefits of a pre charged pneumatic ,but none of the costs .........:(

Spanner110
15th Sep 2007, 22:55
Anyone out there who would be interested in bullpup conversion kits for precharged pnuematic air rifles. Have put together a couple of prototypes which are brilliant for shooting from landrovers, and woodland hunting forays.