Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Suspension Discovery Td5

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Air Suspension Discovery Td5

hi my discovery went down on the back end the other morning drove it to work it rose to normal again left all day seemed to be alright went to it in the next morning again and same thing had happened would this be the air bags as i cant hear anything when i stop the engine to listen for air escaping if not what else could it be thanks if you can suggest anything to check other than the air bags
    Darren............. freelander di 2.0

Default Re: Air Suspension Discovery Td5

yep air bag leaking.

mine stays up for days then for no reason it begins to drop, may be ok overnight then swmbo goes to her mothers and it will sink after about 1/2 hour.

mine been like it for weeks but i am going to change it when the weather gets warmer.

Daz
    2001 Discovery 2 td5
    1987 Landrover 90 with a 2.3 (11H) petrol powerplant

1991 honda vfr750 (red)
    2000 Honda vfr800 (blue)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Daz800 View Post
    yep air bag leaking.

mine stays up for days then for no reason it begins to drop, may be ok overnight then swmbo goes to her mothers and it will sink after about 1/2 hour.

mine been like it for weeks but i am going to change it when the weather gets warmer.

Daz
    From bitter experience, I would change it quick. Otherwise the compressor will wear out and your simple, and relatively cheap problem, will become much more expensive.
    There are no facts, only opinions.

N/A D90
    300Tdi Disco
    Td5 Disco

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by NomadABC View Post
    From bitter experience, I would change it quick. Otherwise the compressor will wear out and your simple, and relatively cheap problem, will become much more expensive.
    are they quite easy to change do i need any special tools to do this

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Just changed one on mine last week.
    They're supprisingly easy to change - the bag is only held in with 2small clips at the top and hooked on at bottom(just turn 90degrees to release).
    Get 2 new clips when you buy the new airbag.

Paddocks are selling airbags at around 80 each
    On the surface I'm really deep but deep down I'm really shallow

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Disco69 View Post
    Just changed one on mine last week.
    They're supprisingly easy to change - the bag is only held in with 2small clips at the top and hooked on at bottom(just turn 90degrees to release).
    Get 2 new clips when you buy the new airbag.

Paddocks are selling airbags at around 80 each
    do you have to jack the back end up off the floor to change is it better to change when its at normal road height or when they are deflated thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I jacked the back of the vehicle up by the towbar til the wheels were just off the floor, put axle stands under the chassis, removed the wheel to give easy access to the airbag, slowly undid the airpipe from the top of the airbag (bit tricky to get spanner on but its possible) allowing the pressure to drop, removed the two clips with a screw driver, then turn the airbag and remove it.
    Fitting new one is reverse of removing old one except new airbag had slightly different pipe fitting but instructions were in the box and easy to follow. Basically I just had to cut the old end off the pipe and push it into the hole on the new airbag - easy.
    On the surface I'm really deep but deep down I'm really shallow

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I jacked the back of the vehicle up by the towbar til the wheels were just off the floor, put axle stands under the chassis, removed the wheel to give easy access to the airbag, slowly undid the airpipe from the top of the airbag (bit tricky to get spanner on but its possible) allowing the pressure to drop, removed the two clips with a screw driver, then turn the airbag and remove it.
    Fitting new one is reverse of removing old one except new airbag had slightly different pipe fitting but instructions were in the box and easy to follow. Basically I just had to cut the old end off the pipe and push it into the hole on the new airbag - easy.

thanks for the information will have ago when i get my new airbags

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Are you sure this is an airbig problem?

Why would both sides suddenly go down. Surely it is unlikely that both airbags go at the same time?

Could it be ride height sensors or a bad earth somewhere?

I have the same, but if you raise the suspension, then it will stay like that - no problem.

When you drop it to normal height, it will drop onto the bump stops over night.
    Defender 90, 2000, 2.8i

mine is a air bag leak, sometimes you can here it. i know after 94,000 miles it would be best to replace it.

Daz
    2001 Discovery 2 td5

1991 honda vfr750 (red)
    2000 Honda vfr800 (blue)

Talking Re: Air Suspension Discovery Td5

i done mine today, very easy but please buy the new clips like i did
    i done mine the same as above but i found it was easier to open the cover to the air pump (2 screws) and undo the pipe. with the air out of the bag i undone the clips then pulled the bag down then undone the air fitting (lot easier than trying to undo the nut with the bag in seat).
    just make sure you know which bag you have as the updated ones require the pipe to be cut (just above the brass olive) .
    first time i have done this in a car (done a few coaches so had a rought idea) and the total time must have been about 40 mins. Next one i think should take about 20.

Daz
    2001 Discovery 2 td5

1991 honda vfr750 (red)
    2000 Honda vfr800 (blue)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Are you sure this is an airbig problem?

Why would both sides suddenly go down. Surely it is unlikely that both airbags go at the same time?

Could it be ride height sensors or a bad earth somewhere?

I have the same, but if you raise the suspension, then it will stay like that - no problem.

When you drop it to normal height, it will drop onto the bump stops over night.
    Both airbags are linked. If the air goes from one, it eventually goes from the other as well. If the leak is small then usually one side falls first, followed by the other. Leave it long enough and it will drop to the stops on both sides.
    There are no facts, only opinions.

N/A D90
    300Tdi Disco
    Td5 Disco

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Aaaahhhh - that clears it up a bit. Makes sense.

Thanks
    Defender 90, 2000, 2.8i

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I changed the n/s air bag/spring eventually. 1st replacement was faulty, rubber at top of spring not seated underneath the metal band correctly and air leaked out like money through northern rock fingers. Put back on the old air bag/spring and discovered that i'd inadvertently cured (partially) my fault. The pipe at the top cannot have been seated correctly and was leaking with weight in rear of vehicle. After dumping air and generally spoiling my day, a short period (circa 30 mins) the compressor would kick back in and 'pump up the jam' until such a time as i put weight in rear again. Could work out why it never sagged overnight and could hear no air leaking or see it with the aid of Monsieur Fairy Liquide. Couple of pence, well maybe a few and i'll be the proud owner of a self sealing coupling and viola a perfectly usable air bag/spring.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Another question:

My disco displays all the symptoms of a leaking airbag, but ....

If I raise the suspension to the offroad height (max) then it stays there without sinking over the last 3 days... no problem. Surely a leaking airbag would deflate even quicker when on the higher setting?

Any ideas?
    Defender 90, 2000, 2.8i

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information