Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dim Headlights.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Dim Headlights.

When i switch on my headlights they don't come on - the sidelights do, but when i push the switch forward to put the main lights on nothing happens - they are reall dull.

I checked the fuses/bulbs, and tried a new switch, but to no avail - any ideas as i'm stumped!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Dim Headlights.

Hi

It sounds to me like a bad earth somewhere.

Maybe start with the black earth wires in the wiring loom around the side/headlights.

Failing that with the earths it could be a wire trapped and shorting somewhere.

(I know a company that had a new 2007 110 hi-cap pickup and kept having a dead starter.
    It turned out a month or so later that a trapped wire in the bulkhead was the cause when built at the factory.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Tried it - put new switch on, new dim switch relay, checked battery with multi meter, checked output on alternater - reading a healthy 13.5 - 14 v.

What i do want to know is; what is the black relay that is screwed to the bulkhead next to the heater box. This clicks when you turn the key, and then clicks when you put the lights on (only they don't come on - well they do but very dim!)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ferrit View Post
    What i do want to know is; what is the black relay that is screwed to the bulkhead next to the heater box. This clicks when you turn the key, and then clicks when you put the lights on (only they don't come on - well they do but very dim!)
    If the relay has PRC6913 written on it, it's the Glow Plug Relay mounted to the bulk head. Assume everything else works all bar the lights. Sorry but I don't know why your lights would be dim.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yes everything else works fine. - Bloody electrics! May have to bite the bullet and take it to a landrover garage. Don't want to as i can fix just about anything else.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Land Rover electrics are the bane of my life.

If it's only the headlights affected then I doubt it's the main earthing for the lighting which are bulkhead mounted and 2 cables fixed to the side of gearbox under drivers seat ish. The spots on mine are earthed to the side of the passenger wing that affected full beam until I redid the wiring to them. The rear lights have a earth block but I don't thing the headlights do.

I have read that dim lights would be related to a low alternator/battery charge rate but yours would appear normal. Assume you have checked bulbs, holders, connectors and followed the wiring looking for possible damage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I had this problem intermittently.

Cured by removing the dim-dip relay and bypassing it by connecting two of the terminals together (sorry, cant remember the colours, but beware the haynes wiring diagram is wrong)

No headlights work perfectly, and dip is brighter than it ever was, just no dim-dip but you dont need it anyway.
    1992 110 County 200tdi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You need to find the earth for the bulbs and check that. Remember, you can have 12 - 14 V but very little current. And its all about the current. High resistance on an earth will mean that the current is wasting its energy returning to earth rather than lighting up the bulbs!!!!!!

Creator of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club, just ask me,

WOOF, WOOF WOOF WOOF, I'm hungry.

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I suggest tht you throw away the Land Rover headlight wiring and re-wire with a good size of cable and relays. There's a post in the maintance section of mine that shews how I did mine. That will then give you bright headlights.

HTH

Nr Shaftesbury but in Wiltshire not Dorset. UK
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

90% of electrical faults are down to poor earth, check them all!

I had one on offside front side light only just would not work, check every thing feeds both pos and neg, even replaced earth right back to baulkhead. Only way to get it to work was run a second earth to the chassis!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Smith View Post
    I had this problem intermittently.

Cured by removing the dim-dip relay and bypassing it by connecting two of the terminals together (sorry, cant remember the colours, but beware the haynes wiring diagram is wrong)

No headlights work perfectly, and dip is brighter than it ever was, just no dim-dip but you dont need it anyway.
    Hi Simon, where is the dim dip relay situated? Got a problem with my defender the dim dip stays on constantly!! Even when lights and ignition is switched off. Please Help !!!

Cheers Andy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Birchdown View Post
    Hi Simon, where is the dim dip relay situated? Got a problem with my defender the dim dip stays on constantly!! Even when lights and ignition is switched off. Please Help !!!

Cheers Andy
    According to my book it says to the right hand side of the fascia. You might get to it if you have a speaker to the right of you steering wheel failing that remove the dash trim holding the gauges.

Matt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Right - i took it to my local Landrover garage, they tested it and coudn't find any fault with the wiring - the only thing they said was that it had non standard headlights fitted which may be the cause of the problem. i explained that it was fine for the last 3 years. They didn't have any std ones in to try on it so i paid 92, and drove away non the wiser!

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ferrit View Post
    Right - i took it to my local Landrover garage, they tested it and coudn't find any fault with the wiring - the only thing they said was that it had non standard headlights fitted which may be the cause of the problem. i explained that it was fine for the last 3 years. They didn't have any std ones in to try on it so i paid 92, and drove away non the wiser!
    Whast a load of rubbish. How will nonstandard headlights stop the lights working.

You have a PM

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I know - i had another look on friday - when i disconnect one headlight the other goes brighter untill i plug it back in again! I can only find one earth wire on the baulkhead in the middle and two going to the gearbox one from battery and one on the side of the gearbox, under the drivers seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information