Thread: TD5 Door Lock Problem

Default TD5 Door Lock Problem

Hi All,
    I have a 2000 Discovery TD5 which has developed a fault with the drivers door lock and I was just wondering if any of you have experienced something simlar, or have any ideas.

It will lock fine, however when you unlock the car using the remote on the key on the first press, when normally the drivers door opens, you can hear the other doors "click" as usual. I presume the deadlocks are disengaging, but nothing from the drivers door.

The only way to open the door is to open all other doors using the remote (two presses) and then manually open the drivers door with the key.

Opening all doors with the key works fine, but the alarm sounds on opening a door.

Plus, If I buy a new key fob do I have to get it coded or can it be done manually?

Many thanks for your help

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: TD5 Door Lock Problem

Its not a key problem, its is worn door-lock mechanism. I've had one door done, a rear passenger door which cost a lot as the door couldn't be opened. A new lock is about 30 (well, nearly new). Now my front passenger door is doing the same, mine is a 99 Td5, seems like a common problem (another one)!!!!
    Kevin

Hi Kevmogs

Thanks for reply, oh well another job for the weekend.

I knew it wasn't a key problem but my spare key fob isn't working which is why I asked - If I buy a new key fob do I have to get it coded or can it be done manually? Any ideas?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi guys, can you change the door lock mechanism yourself, is it that easy or a pain in the butt to do? The reason I ask is that ive had some immobiliser problems lately where if I leave the car for a couple of days the immobiliser wont switch off when I unlock the doors and I then have to close the doors and go through the whole emergency key access rigmarole. My local spanner monkey reckons its the switch in the drivers door causing the agro.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You do have to have your new key/fob coded with the vehicles ID. LR dealer with testbook or similar will do it for you when you buy it.

I understand that second hand ones cannot be re-programmed unless it also has the a barcode giving the key/fobs own ID.
    1997 Discovery ES V8 auto.
    Previously for 10 years: 1987 Range Rover Vogue Efi auto.
    Previously for 2 years 1985 TVR 350i manual.

USE LOGIC ON DIFFICULT JOBS - Get someone else to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevmogs View Post
    Now my front passenger door is doing the same, mine is a 99 Td5, seems like a common problem (another one)!!!!
    Kevin
    *Raises hand*

Mine too. Are these mechanisms easy to source new, I doubt getting a second hand one is much use?

Thread Information