Thread: Series 3 109 Rear crankshaft oil seal / clutch

Default Series 3 109 Rear crankshaft oil seal / clutch

Hi,

Having suffered a juddering clutch for the past two year I decided it was time to replace and investigate. Out with the gear box and low and behold the clutch and bell housing literally dripping with oil. Off with the fly wheel and fly wheel housing, all covered in filthy oil and cack. A gallon or so of white spirrit later and all shiny and clean. The engine is 5 bearing so does not have the older oil seal carrier but an O ring to the engine block and an orange rubber oil seal pressed into the fly wheel housing. Now the good book simply states "remove the oil seal" ............fine, but the rubber has perished and is stuck fast. As the housing is aloy I don`t want to use a knife. I have tried a hot air gun but it is leaving a film of rubber around the the rim. Any suggestions gratefully received.

The fact that the drain plug is missing I doubt is co-incidental. This I suggest was lef off on purpose (not just forgoten after wading).

Thanks

Mike R

Default Re: Series 3 109 Rear crankshaft oil seal / clutch

Hi, I did one of these a year or so back, You just hit the seal out.

Mind you, putting the new one back in is another matter. If you are not exceedingly carefull the seal will distort.
    Normally with seals people use a large socket etc as a driver for the seal, this one is too big for a socket so you need to press in carefully. I was lucky and made a tool in work. Otherwise you can put the casing in the oven and get good and hot , smear some oil on the outer face of the seal and " assemble " . Don't worry about the heat too much on the seal it'l be ok, we do 8 " seals in work this way sometimes.

The drain plug is meant to be " out " unless wading of course. When wading is finished the plug must be removed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Drill a small hole if the outer face of the seal, screw a self-tapping screw in the hole, then use a claw hammer/pair of pliers to pull the seal out like this -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Guys,

Having posted the question I went back into the garage and removed the seal with a square block of wood.; amazing what a cup of tea and a roll up can produce! I note the idea about the oven; good tip.

With the rear O ring, can I hold it in place with Hylomar or is this a complete no - no?

Mike R

Thread Information