Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery 2 Inhibitor Xyz Switch Replacement S + M Lights

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Smile Discovery 2 Inhibitor Xyz Switch Replacement S + M Lights

Has anyone changed one of these XYZ switches???? Is there anything I need to be aware of when doing it.

It is a 2004 D2 Auto with 30k, S+M lights start flashing if the car is put into reverse before being put into a forward gear after starting, once switched off and restarted it's fine again so long as a forward gear is selected. It has been doing this for a while now but does seem to be getting progressivly worse occasionaly doing it in other gears.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

Diagnostic Expert
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Discovery 2 Inhibitor Xyz Switch Replacement S + M Lights

The WXYZ switch is bolted on via an adjustable slot,so it may be worth trying a small adjustment.Trouble is they usually fault when the switch is failing and the EAT ecu receives an invalid signal(Rather than poor adjustment).The exhaust is very close which makes access difficult,other than that its just a 10mm 1/4" drive socket and undo the multiplug.When you fit the new one look at the markes on the old one where it is clean under the bolt heads,use this to give you an idea of where to start on adjusting the new one.Hope this makes sense.Cheers Jon.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jon v8 View Post
    The WXYZ switch is bolted on via an adjustable slot,so it may be worth trying a small adjustment.Trouble is they usually fault when the switch is failing and the EAT ecu receives an invalid signal(Rather than poor adjustment).The exhaust is very close which makes access difficult,other than that its just a 10mm 1/4" drive socket and undo the multiplug.When you fit the new one look at the markes on the old one where it is clean under the bolt heads,use this to give you an idea of where to start on adjusting the new one.Hope this makes sense.Cheers Jon.
    Thanks at least I know where to start, I've had a quote of 86 ordered in for next day but will give the adjustment a try first as I forgot to mention this fault has happened before about a year ago while still under warranty so it went back to the main dealer who supposedly replaced the switch, all was good for about 6 months before the fault returned.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

In my case I found a perished drain hose was causing dripping of water directly down into the XY switch cable entry point, causing it to fail.
    Fitment of a new switch is easy but quite cramped, requires patience. Dont move the gear shift lever until the new switch is installed. Key the new one same as the removed unit before fitting. I found by gently moving the switch around its slot with the 2 bolts semi tight the correct lever position can then be displayed for every gear, if this isnt done the mechanical and electrical position signals dont correspond and the S+M lamps will flash.
    Its never over in a Rover

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yes, a well designed air con drain is directly above the switch.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The car in question does always have the Air-Con on rain or shine, I am gonna double check the adjustment first tho as I've checked with old man and he said it has been temprementel ever since L/R supposedly replaced it.

He said that every time he goes for reverse from "D" or "P" the fault occurs so he has to bring the lever all the way back to "1" then forwards to reverse then it'll be fine.

Does anyone know if this is a common fault on the Series II Disco? My days TD5 04 plate, 50k miles has developed this. Landrover in Truro moved the switch away from the aircon drain and say they have resealed it but on cold starts or short journeys its still just as bad.

Its seems rediculous that they should fit the switch below the drain and then not replace the part and move it, in or out of warranty?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quite common, the switch corrodes. Move the aircon drain pipe and fit a new switch.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ouch, I picked up a new switch today it was 121 from main dealer but they had it on the shelf so they must sell a few.

I wonder if they actually moved the drain pipe on ones they changed under warranty knowing the price they fetch after the warrany expires.

87 Defender 90 200tdi lifted, 35" Muds, Snorkel,Winch&Bumper
    99 Discovery TD5 Stage 1 Remap, 22" Stormers, 4 DVDs
    2000 Freelander Xedi Millenium ltd (gone)
    96 Discovery V8i ES Auto Lpg(Gone)
    92 Suzuki Samurai Sport (Offroader)(Gone)
    97 Suzuki GSXR750 (Gone)
    94 Discovery 200 Tdi S Auto (gone)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Its very common for the drain tubes to drip onto the switch its best to lengthen the drain tube past the switch and put some vasline into and around the plug to stop the water.Lawson
    Volkswagen Golf Diesel!! 1st car!
    Land Rover Disco 2 TD5 2nd!

A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

I'm now a mobile mechanic based around Carlisle in Cumbria. Worked in an LR dealer for 9years, very competitive rates discount for forum members. If you want something serviced or repaired please PM me for contact info to discuss requirements.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I've changed the switch, it was easier than I was expecting but I couldn't find an easy way to extend the drain as it was a dump valve type like the drain fitted to the bottom of an Air filter so I completely sealed the wiring/switch with RTV sealent before I fitted it. It wasn't the multiplug end of the wiring as I expected that is high and dry it was where the wiring goes into the switch itself a very poor design as it wouldn't have took much to have the wiring entering through the side rather than the top then the water wouldn't get in.

87 Defender 90 200tdi lifted, 35" Muds, Snorkel,Winch&Bumper
    99 Discovery TD5 Stage 1 Remap, 22" Stormers, 4 DVDs
    2000 Freelander Xedi Millenium ltd (gone)
    96 Discovery V8i ES Auto Lpg(Gone)
    92 Suzuki Samurai Sport (Offroader)(Gone)
    97 Suzuki GSXR750 (Gone)
    94 Discovery 200 Tdi S Auto (gone)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I've just replaced this switch bit fidly but ok for information you need to start the engine to clear the M & S lights then all good
    One World One Promise
    "Bump" 1972 series 3 6cyl 109
    "Evey" Disco 11 TD5

So if mine does this when I drive thriugh a puddle would it be the same problem? It also happened recently in freezing fog.

What I did notice is that one of my rear fog lights is cracked and had water in it which when I emptied and dried out registered the same fault.

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 1craigyboy View Post
    So if mine does this when I drive thriugh a puddle would it be the same problem? It also happened recently in freezing fog.

What I did notice is that one of my rear fog lights is cracked and had water in it which when I emptied and dried out registered the same fault.

One of the Other main causes IIRC for the S&M Lights to come on is low voltage across the ECU circuit (since it uses that as a control) . So a short such as what may have resulted from water in your lamp may be more likely causee . Ditto on the watness elsewhere , but dont rule out that in wet and foggy conditions you have loads of voltage load with all the extra lights , de-misters , heated screens and wipers == i.e high voltage consumption which may be doing above too . So worth checking your battery and charging is good.
    Graham

Discovery II TD5 Auto

• Millennium Edition + Cold Pack
    • AlliSport Intercooler
    • JanSpeed Exhaust
    • EBC Brakes
    • Koni Heavy Track Shocks
    • Pipercross Filter
    • EGR Less

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Wot he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can be a sign of a failing battery...........

............................. www.discovery2.co.uk ................................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information