Thread: td5-what should i look for before buying

Default td5-what should i look for before buying

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a td5 disco, 2001 reg, diesel, etc. At the moment i have a 300 old N reg, and i know of the many faults i've gone through with it, the spider etc. So can anyone tell me what the common faults are on the td5 and what i should look for before i buy it, as i made the mistake of not finding this sorta thing out my 300. The bloke wants 6000 for it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: td5-what should i look for before buying

Hi

Here's a few pointers in this write up...

http://www.lro.com/buyingguide.php?sid=9&page=1

There 's also recents posts on this form on this topic so a quick search could turn up some stuff.

The price sounds on the high side as prices have plummeted. You could get a year 2000 car in excellent nick for 3.5k so 6K sounds like alot to me.

Bear in mind that post March 2001 cars will be paying the guts of 500 a year car tax when the new rules come in soon.

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by andymach23; 20th Nov 2008 at 20:24. Reason: Spelling
    2000 TD5 GS 145K Miles (sold)
    1999 300 Tdi Safari Manual 137K
    2001 BMW E39 525i Sport

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

One thing you should find out is if the ecu is free of oil , usually detected at the plug. I have just bought one and it is a known fact this was a problem up to at least 04,s and Now I am still in the middle of a claim back from the garage I bought it from.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Oil in the ECU and plug is a fair point and very common on the TD5. Any car of a certain age and mileage will suffer from this. It's usually easy and cheap to fix though. A new injector harness is about 35 and there are decent instructions available on the web for replacing it. It takes about 1 hour. My 2000 TD5 has this issue. I changed the loom a few months ago and having checked today still have some oil getting to the ECU but hopefully it's just old oil that was in the loom already.

Oil in the wiring loom and on the red plug in the ECU, and maybe in the ECU itself can cause all sorts of running issues but thankfully it's easy to solve.

A good bet would be to get a car that has this documented in the service history.

The ideal scenario would be to get someone used to the TD5 to drive and inspect a car for you. I bought mine blind and did not realise it had a few niggly issues and was down on power. Maybe hard to organise though.

What would definitely help would be to test drive a few to get a general feel of the car. Why not go to the Main Stealer and test drive a late low mileage car that you have no intention of buying. That would hopefullly give you an idea of what a decent car should feel like.

Cheers

Andy
    2000 TD5 GS 145K Miles (sold)
    1999 300 Tdi Safari Manual 137K
    2001 BMW E39 525i Sport

ok thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Thread Information