Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Cross scam?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Question Red Cross scam?

Just had someone claiming to be from the red cross trying to sign me up to donate money each month, not a problem, but they say they are not licenced to collect cash and wanted my bank details, name, address etc.
    Is this some sort of scam or are the Red Cross sending people out door to door now? He had ID but I wouldn't know if it was fake, said thanks but no thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Red Cross scam?

Door to door calling

Yeap had this lot, seem easten european to us and is if I'am going to give my details to some stranger on the door step.

However and this was a few weeks ago later while walking the dog caught the one of them with another going though the paper recycleing bags of a neighbour, so makes you think ?.
    Member of Goldfish, piggy-back, bonnet-up, wheel both-way, and upside down clubs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Deffo of UK stock, Manchester way by the sound of it. Seemed v genuine, I just don't give my bank details out to a stranger at the door. IF it was lagit, the RC need to get a grip, ain't going to get anywhere cold calling, looks too suss

Articles Editor & Moderator Satancom's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

They do a local charity round my way. Take your bank details. They also have their cars all sign written and such, its all official but you wouldn't be blamed for thinking its a con. You could always drop the red cross a line?
    Motors : 1980 Series III 109" V8, 2004 Mazda RX-8 (it starts sometimes too)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

why would they need your bank details. If genuine they can give you a form for you to send to your bank for standing order.
    1989 200TDI Rangie 205k
    1997 300TDI 110 shed 93k

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries

I would contact the Red Cross, if it is a scam it could be confirmed and the Police can get involved to try and catch them before they take some poor pensioner to the cleaners for example.

If it isn't a scam, then it may just highlight to them that this method is not appropriate.

Alternative, get in touch with Watchdog on BBC, they would very quickly work it out because if it is a scam it is the sort of thing that would really grab headlines for them...
    90 TDI
    1952 S1
    "honest! it just fell off"

Support your own FREE online magazine, Landywave, come on, write an article for it!!

Don't forget the LRUK SHOP

Overseer of the Sacred Charity.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lighting90 View Post
    I would contact the Red Cross, if it is a scam it could be confirmed and the Police can get involved to try and catch them before they take some poor pensioner to the cleaners for example.

If it isn't a scam, then it may just highlight to them that this method is not appropriate.

Alternative, get in touch with Watchdog on BBC, they would very quickly work it out because if it is a scam it is the sort of thing that would really grab headlines for them...

excellent advise

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yup give red cross a call.,

i did a project where we had lads surveying private sewer as part of the gov adoption of them, they had to knock doors, and although we did a letter drop,
    i not only met the local cops, but called them every morning with lads names, vehicle reg's and the street they would be working in/knocking doors to get at manholes....

Save a whole lot of greif, and the local cops are only too happy for such comunication..

Cheers
    I once travelled far, i have the overwhelming desire to do it again.......

Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

A hound sleeps lethargically as a tiny petal is crushed by an elaborate iron arm, the hound dreams of becoming a repressive god.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

They just not interested, someone i know reported a similar scam couple months back told it was a civil case and no crimminal crime committed

Course if they were in a speeding car or even smoking in the vechcile it would be a police matter.

If you want to donate to some charity find one which exists like the lifeboat, put you cash in the little boat and it lauches itself, least you'll know it will most likly get there, theys one big building on the prom with a big blue boat in it.:biggrin:
    Member of Goldfish, piggy-back, bonnet-up, wheel both-way, and upside down clubs

Quote Originally Posted by skip2 View Post
    They just not interested, someone i know reported a similar scam couple months back
    Does your neighbour ever go on holiday or just sit in doors, watching telly, keeping himself to himself?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

They visited me for a direct debit. Wife already had the statement in her hand before I stopped her.
    Looked legit but cold calling is not the way to go about raising money especially as a lot of OAP's live in this area who may be getting into something they aren't fully aware of.
    Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skip2 View Post
    They just not interested, someone i know reported a similar scam couple months back told it was a civil case and no crimminal crime committed
    Strange, always thought fraud was illegal crime, rather than it been a civil case.

You must have a bad Police force in your area, as here, our's do get involved and do issue public warnings of any scams that might be happening.
    90 TDI
    1952 S1
    "honest! it just fell off"

Support your own FREE online magazine, Landywave, come on, write an article for it!!

Don't forget the LRUK SHOP

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball Bob View Post
    Does your neighbour ever go on holiday or just sit in doors, watching telly, keeping himself to himself?
    Never said it was a neighbour did I ?

In fact it was a club member (non 4x4) who lives close by and just happened to have joined the 9 points club

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Strange, always thought fraud was illegal crime, rather than it been a civil case.

You must have a bad Police force in your area, as here, our's do get involved and do issue public warnings of any scams that might be happening.
    Out of a local survey (1,100) 80% claim that the North Wales Police are not doing there job.

"Its not a crimminal case" is on of the common responses from control room staff even if you ring a non 999 number.

Most people just don't bother any more reporting even quite serious crimes unless its for insurance purposes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    They visited me for a direct debit. Wife already had the statement in her hand before I stopped her.
    Looked legit but cold calling is not the way to go about raising money especially as a lot of OAP's live in this area who may be getting into something they aren't fully aware of.

it also breaches the charity acts.....all chuggers do....a charity under charity commissioner rules has to disclose the collection premium/ % going to charity, ie thechuggers get a contribution for their salary....none ever tell you, so they are in breach of the rules

next time a chugger stops you , ask them why they breach charity commissioner rules
    Geoffrye formally from Markyate Hertfordshire, now in Landroverless Muswell Hill, Greater London

Series 88" 200di that seldom ventures out of its shed in Markyate (Rusty)

Rescind the 1890 Treaty of Heligoland-Zanzibar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information