Thread: Dash board removal to get to heater matrix

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Question Dash board removal to get to heater matrix

My good old Freelander has decided to throw me another challenge..! Last one was the rear subframe mounting in the body shell fracturing. Have rewelded all this and it now works fine.
    BUT....
    Have been noticing that I've been loosing coolant over the last month or so. Also car steams up quite badly. The front carpet is a bit damp and sticky but doesn't smell noticably of coolant.
    But possibly jumping to conclusions I'm sort of expecting this has to be the heater matrix. I'm going to have a nose around today and check for no other obvious leaks but the coincidence of loosing coolant and the carpets being wet appears a bit too strong.
    If required.. Would ideally like to be able to remove the heater matrix without taking the dashboard out completely. There must be a way to just remove the bolts holding it and raise out of the way to gain access to the heater unit and matrix.
    Anybody got any ideas...?
    Nervous about airbag module disconnection

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Dash board removal to get to heater matrix

SURELY there must be a company out there that does a UV dye that you can stick in your coolant so you can find leaks? How cool would that be?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

There is, we use it. Same supplier who we get our UV Aircon dye from.

You need the UV torch though, but they are only a few pounds now.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Unhappy Re: Dash board removal to get to heater matrix

The dye sounds like a good idea. Have just spent a hour or so having a first look at what is involved and or what the problem may be. From the water marks there's no doubt its coming out of the heater casing. So the disgnosis of a failed heater matrix is looking more likely.
    I'm now investigating if I can get the matrix out of the heater casing without removing the dash board. The matrix has two pipes that go through the bulkhead into the engine bay. I'm sure I've read somewhere that a possible solution was to reduce the length of these pipes, thus allowing the matrix to be extracted without major dashboard surgery.
    Stage one is to go and get a fan heater to dry the carpet, and stop me freezing on the job. Can't get car in garage with doors wide open .
    Surely nothing else can go wrong...!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The centre console and the dash board must be fully removed then undo the bolts securing the heater box and pull it out enough to get the matrix out.Easy job just takes a bit of time. Lawson
    Volkswagen Golf Diesel!! 1st car!
    Land Rover Disco 2 TD5 2nd!

A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

I'm now a mobile mechanic based around Carlisle in Cumbria. Worked in an LR dealer for 9years, very competitive rates discount for forum members. If you want something serviced or repaired please PM me for contact info to discuss requirements.

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I'm geussing I need to remove all those bits I'd prefer to leave alone, such as the passenger airbag connections and the steering wheel...?
    I've just removed all the centre console bits and now I'm certain the water is coming from the lower back edge of the heater box.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yeah you have to remove the steering wheel and both air bags. if you dont put the ignition on no faults will be logged. When you remove the steering wheel mark the splines with tip-ex so you put it on the same place.Lawson
    Volkswagen Golf Diesel!! 1st car!
    Land Rover Disco 2 TD5 2nd!

A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

I'm now a mobile mechanic based around Carlisle in Cumbria. Worked in an LR dealer for 9years, very competitive rates discount for forum members. If you want something serviced or repaired please PM me for contact info to discuss requirements.

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Got the dash board out and the heater matrix on the bench. Thankfully the leak was from the heater matrix but the question now is where to source a GOOD cheap replacement part. The main dealer gave me a few moments entertainment by quoting a price of £223 ex VAT. Cheapest I've found so far is demisterman.co.uk at £64 all in. It appears to be the correct part number but I'm concerned that a technical bulletin I've read talks about an uprated part to prevent future leaks. Can't find this bulletine anymore.
    Does anyone now the correct replacement part number and or a good source to buy from

Thread Information