Thread: Discovery 3 fuel consumption

Default Discovery 3 fuel consumption

Hi, I am thinking of changing my 2004 TD5 es premium auto for a disco 3 HSE 2.7 auto and wondered if it is going to be any better on fuel that the td5, I average around 21mpg. I was reluctant to go down the auto route until I had it and now find I would not be without it.

Regards John

Default Re: Discovery 3 fuel consumption

A friend swapped a D2 Td5 for a TDV6 D3, he says it generally does better mpg but you can get it to do worse.

I've used another friends TDV6 D3 and despite the fact that with gave it a damn good hiding the trip was still says 27.7mpg average. I think that's pretty good for a vehicle weighing 2.7 tonnes.

I might get flamed for this.

I do really like the D3 and in many ways would like one. However it might be worth considering the new Jeep Wrangler as an alternative. You can get a 2007 model for the same price as a high miler 2005 D3.

You get a 2.8 CRD diesel engine, auto or 6 speed manual and very similar mpg.

The main difference is the Jeep is more back to basics, it has more in common with a D1 in terms of what it is. It probably isn't as accomplished on the road in the same car like way a D3 is, but its arguably more fun and organic. You can even take the roof off in the summer (remove the doors and fold the windscreen down too if it takes your fancy).

Sadly I'm not currently in a position to be buying a new car (almost was, but change of circumstances).

And the two on my list were D3 TDV6 and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

In the UK the Jeep seems to get overlooked (not really sure why), but it is the father of the Land Rover and a very good vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.5 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (17.1 KB, 11 views)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post
    A friend swapped a D2 Td5 for a TDV6 D3, he says it generally does better mpg but you can get it to do worse.

I've used another friends TDV6 D3 and despite the fact that with gave it a damn good hiding the trip was still says 27.7mpg average. I think that's pretty good for a vehicle weighing 2.7 tonnes.

I might get flamed for this.

I do really like the D3 and in many ways would like one. However it might be worth considering the new Jeep Wrangler as an alternative. You can get a 2007 model for the same price as a high miler 2005 D3.

You get a 2.8 CRD diesel engine, auto or 6 speed manual and very similar mpg.

The main difference is the Jeep is more back to basics, it has more in common with a D1 in terms of what it is. It probably isn't as accomplished on the road in the same car like way a D3 is, but its arguably more fun and organic. You can even take the roof off in the summer (remove the doors and fold the windscreen down too if it takes your fancy).

Sadly I'm not currently in a position to be buying a new car (almost was, but change of circumstances).

And the two on my list were D3 TDV6 and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

In the UK the Jeep seems to get overlooked (not really sure why), but it is the father of the Land Rover and a very good vehicle.

Grant

2004 Discovery II Td5 GS manual with cold pack and some extras...
    Now with: EGR removal kit, Non Cat SS Freeflow exhaust, Td5Alive chip download, Diff Guards, Cooper ST 255/70/16, Wind Guards, Drilled brake discs,

Have Had:
    1991 Discovery 200Tdi (traded in for above!)
    90Tdi
    Range Rover Classic V8
    Series IIA SWB
    Series IIA LWB
    plus assorted other cars (and a few bikes!) over the years!

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I regularly drive a 57 plate TDV6 at work which has currently got over 105k on the clock. I've just been out to the garage and at the moment it's quoting 29.4 on average fuel consumption. Ours has got the six speed auto box and is incrediably smooth and surprisingly agile. it can also be used in manual "tiptronic' mode which we do quite often especially in heavy traffic. We also constantly run these pretty much fully laden in the back (almost up to the max axle weight) so I think near on 30mpg is pretty good in the circumstances. They're a pleasure to drive and I regularly spend 8 hour days in them with no complaint at all. If I had the money I'd happily have one on my drive!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My first 2006 Auto D3 was a bit miserable on MPG - running around 23mpg - was at least in part down to the Cooper ST's and Expedition Rack though. My new one is a 2008 model - still Auto, but with the Euro4 engine and its returning around 30mpg consistently
    Steve N - 2008 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Auto in Zermatt Silver

Thread Information