Thread: How to recode you key fobs.

Default How to recode you key fobs.

I thought Members might be interested in how to recode or reprogram key fobs (also known a plips). At least, this is the procedure for my series 1 Discovery TDI 2.5 Diesel. (My big black baby and I love her deeply, hopelessly...no stop it!).
    I got the procedure from Land Rover and confirmed it on www.programyourkeys.com
    This assumes you have one or two of the correct fobs with good working batteries (Batteries CR2016 3volts).
    Ideally, you need three persons for this. One in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition; one at the driver's door with spare keys in the door lock and one at the front of the car to work the bonnet switch.
    Start with the ignition off and bonnet open with the bonnet switch pressed down.
    Then you have to complete the following sequence within eight seconds:-
    1. Ignition on - ignition off.
    2. Lock doors - unlock doors.
    3. Release bonnet switch.
    4. Ignition on - ignition off.
    Then, if alarm is set the horn will sound and the LED light on dash (in the middle of the dash under the radio compartment) will light.
    Now, the programming of the fob or fobs can begin.
    Press and hold down the button on the fob until the red LED flashes fast.
    Then repeat for the second fob.
    When finished wait for the LED to stop flashing or the alarm will go off. (This advice courtesy of Member Grantc).
    The dash LED will go out if both fobs have been programmed successfully.
    If the second fob does not work, you have to do the first fob again and then the second fob again as part of the same sequence. In other words, if you want two working fobs you must program them together.
    I had some worries about what would happen if the coding procedure was unsuccessful and if it would cause any permanent problems but I have had some advice from other members of the forum and have been told it is OK to simply go on trying until successful. In addition, I have today spoken to a Land Rover Dealer (through Land Rover UK) and have been told it is OK to go on trying until successful but to wait 20 minutes or so before trying again.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Elwyn.

Overseer of the Sacred Charity.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: How to recode you key fobs.

Well done!

Do you have to recode the 2 people helping you afterwards
    If so, how?

saltireblue.

Dear malc.

Thank you. Yes, the other two helpers need to be recoded afterwards and you buy them a few beers or some sticky buns-silly, and this usually leads to a full recovery.

Best wishes.

Elwyn.

Overseer of the Sacred Charity.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Dear Elwyn,

I would like to congratulate you on an operation well done, and at the same time commend you for the extremely polite manner of your posts.
    One finds it is condusive to encourage one to encloth oneself with a similar outlook.
    One is encouraged to enquire if ones helpers would be prepared to accept sticky beers, as one finds oneself temporarily bequeth of buns, sticky, helpers for the consumption of.

Yours faithfully,

Blue, saltire neance.

saltireblue.

Dear Malc.

Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

I have had some difficulty in following your second and third sentences because, of course, I do not speak Norwegian. However, I think I get your drift. You appear to be saying that my politeness encourages you to be polite yourself (and you are) and you ask if one's helpers would accept sticky beers, and I have to say probably not, and that you are without buns albeit on a temporary basis. I do hope I have interpreted yor message correctly. I suspect that there are lots of buns in Norway, but that they are far too expensive to buy. I also suspect that you get buns sent to you from the UK. I know these things because I too am a sleeper or prophet, as I prefer to say, in a foreign land since I live in Spain.

I must not try the patience of the moderators any longer, so I thank you again and hope to hear from you further regarding the bun situation in Norway.

Best wishes.

Elwyn.

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by elwyn View Post
    ]
    ]I have had some difficulty in following your second and third sentences because, of course, I do not speak Norwegian.
    It may come as a surprise to you Elwyn, but Malc is no Norwegian....He is a Scot expatriated in the constitutional monarchy in northern Europe on the western side of the Scandinavian Peninsula. His words are not Norwegian, but Scots...

And, ineffably polite too, I must say.
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Big Sandy.

Thanks for your post. I know that Malc is a Scot and that his words were in English, although some were somewhat ancient.

I was simply trying to have some fun and hope that is not against the rules.

Thanks again.

Elwyn.

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

No worries Elwyn...

I must say, you are emphatically concupiscent when it comes to key fob reprogramming!

(don't mind me...just a bit of paronomasia...)
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elwyn View Post
    Big Sandy.

Thanks for your post. I know that Malc is a Scot and that his words were in English, although some were somewhat ancient.

I was simply trying to have some fun and hope that is not against the rules.

Thanks again.

Elwyn.
    They all speak funny up in the highlands, they even have special dictionaries for us in the lowlands so we can understand them...
    90 TDI
    1952 S1
    "honest! it just fell off"

Support your own FREE online magazine, Landywave, come on, write an article for it!!

Don't forget the LRUK SHOP

I have just ordered a 2 button fob and have a couple of questions. What does it mean by hold bonnet switch down? For the two buttons, do you know which button I hold down for programming?

Cheers

Kingy1

1. Holding down the bonnet switch. Under the bonnet, on the driver's side i.e. on the left hand side of the engine compartment when viewed from the front of the car, there is a small rubber covered telescopic switch which springs up when the bonnet is opened and is pressed down when the bonnet is closed. This is what you hold down.

2. Which of the two buttons to hold down when programming. I have only one button so I do not know for sure but surely it will depend on the function of the two buttons. If one button is to open the doors and turn off the alarm and the other button is to lock the doors and set the alarm, then you would need to hold down both buttons at the same time, otherwise you would be able to either lock or unlock the doors but not both. I am guessing and perhaps someone else will know for sure.

I hope this helps.

Incidentally, I got a new fob and managed to program it on the second attempt. I have now ordered another new fob and when it arrives I will program both fobs together.

You may find it helpful to know that once you get through the initial "panic" to get through the programming sequence within 8 seconds, you will have more time to get the fob or fobs programmed from the red LED light. I did not time it but it seemed to last about one minute. I would say that the red light flashes for about 30 seconds which is more than enough time to get one or two fobs programmed. What happens is that the red light comes on but does not begin to flash until you press the fob button. Then, as I have said, you have about 30 seconds to program the fob or fobs.

Best wishes.

Elwyn.

when you say press down and hold the button on the fob until the red led flashes fast are you talking about the red lied on the fob or the red led in the car.
    I have to ask this as I seem to have one working one and two duff ones at the moment, I purchased one from e bay after one failed whilst changing the battery, before I have always just put new batteries in and pressed the button 3 times, then it works.
    Land rover electrics seem very poor quality, I wonder if newer cars will ever make it to vintage status, I have a very old mgb and everything works on that with minimal electronics.
    regards
    jk

Thread Information