Thread: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Hi there everybody, I need some help. I have a 1995 Discovery and have an issue with the Gear shift. Periodically I have a problem moving the gear shifter out of the 'park' position (Automatic Tranny). I press the button firmly on the gear stick and also have my foot firmly on the brake. I am thinking that the problem may be to do with the interlock on the gear shift but is it because of the brake switch not working or is it possibly an issue with the solenoid in the interlock? Has anyone out there had any experience of this in the past or any quick ways of pin pointing the issue?
    Note :- I can usually jiggle the gear shift and pump the brake and get it to move eventually but one of these days I know it won't work.

Thanks.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Hi fnscotsman,

There was someone with a similar problem a while back I believe - maybe this thread will have some useful info...

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks Bernie, checked out that thread but most seemed to be phantom problems that went away. I'll keep looking. Anyone else out there had success with a fix or diagnosis?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I used to have a TD5 Auto, preceded by a V8iES Auto Disco. The V8 never had any problems, but I experienced a similar thing with the S2 TD5 auto. Turned out to be a plastic linkage somewhere between the selector and the box had worn out. Similar problem also occurs with the TD4 Auto which has a Jatco "tiptronic" 5 speed box. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happens eventually with my RRTD6 which also has the Jatco box.
    Just arrived - 2010MY Range Rover Vogue 3.6ltr TDv8, Stornoway Grey/Ivory Hides/Privacy
    Gone but will be missed -Stornoway Grey with Ebony hides Range Rover Sport TDv8 HSE
    Gone - Giverny Green Range Rover Sport SE
    Epsom Green TDi300 Defender 90 County HT with Station wagon windows in the sides
    The Best 4x4'sxFarx2

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I've been playing with this problem each time it happens. When it sticks I first start with 'jiggling' the gear shift, this does not seem to resolve the problem. When I press the button on the gear shift stick I do feel the 'lock' disengaging and there is a little more 'play' in the gear shift.
    I then start pumping the brake pedal (at the same time as providing some latteral movement to the pedal) and it seems that this unsticks the gear shift after a few attempts. So I am now thinking that the problem is with the electrical switch on the brake pedal.
    It is taking some time to pin point due to the problem being so intermittent (and the wife's "Honey Do" list!)
    Cheers!
    (Remember.... A happy Rover is a dirty Rover!!!)

Using Awaiting Confirmation da bomb's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Mmm just had a problem with the S2 TD5 Auto at work last week, it blew all of it's transmission oil out via the oil cooler.
    Not to mention the doors dont shut properly, and on a vehicle with only 11000 miles on the clock.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Unhappy Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Well my problem is getting worse so I am finally going to have to resolve this. I have confirmed that my issue is NOT the brake switch as I did the following checks. Note the following info was obtained from Atlantic British WEB site.

Can't shift out of park - Troubleshooting
    Vehicle - Land Rover Discovery and 1995 Range Rover Classic
    Check to see if you have stoplights. No lights check:
    a. Fuse f1 in the fascia fuse box ok? (Discovery, if the fuse the blows check the terminals on the back window grids making sure they are not touching each other causing a short. They get bent easily)
    b. Inspect the brake light switch on the brake pedal (The brake light switch has four wires on it and the cruise switch has two wires and a vacuum line on it).
    If switch is intact:
    a. Jump the green/purple wire and the green/orange wire; the brake lights should come on enabling the shift out of park.
    b. Caution! The brake lights will be on all the time. Have problem repaired as soon as possible. Also you may get an ABS fault stored.
    If you have stoplights pop the top of the shift lever off and check to see if the clip on the button is intact. They have been known to come off and not lift the rod in the handle.

I jumped the wires and sure enough the brake lights work but I still could not shift out of Park. So I now believe that there is an issue with the solenoid in the gear shift that drives the Interlock or there is a mechanical issue in there. Either way I guess I will have to strip out the center console etc tonight to have a look.
    Cheers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Angry Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Well I stripped out the center console and everything so I can see the mechanics of the gear shift and guess what!!! The problem has gone away....
    Talk about frustrating!!! Anyway if it happens again at least I can see what is going on in there.
    Cheers!

Using Awaiting Confirmation
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Why not leave the car in nuetral and use the handbrake

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Unhappy Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

I did try leaving the car in Neutral, but then you can't get the key out of the ignition. So for a few days I did this and locked the vehicle with the remote. However since I couldn't get the key out of the ignition something was still draining the battery therefore after a couple of days the battery was dead. No problem, I thought, charge it and "jobs a good one", however I noticed that after running the vehicle for a day the battery was leaking (and fizzing). I also started to notice a funny 'sulphur' smell in the car. (Not good!) Oh well the battery is 'goosed' I thought so I bought a new battery (no brainer), however it too started leaking and fizzing after a journey. Not only that but the "Battery" idiot light came on and then the Rev. counter stopped working too. F@#k me I thought when is this ever going to end!!! (Excuse my french)
    As it turned out the voltage regulator was shot and was over charging the battery. So in goes a new Alternator. Luckily I picked one up for $300 that day from the local NAPA store (Rover dealer in Denver wanted $550 to $650). You pay through the nose in the USA for Rover parts!
    It didn't quite match the old one but after some slight mod's I made it work.
    So the long story short... I tried leaving the Rover in Neutral and I ended up with a bunch more problems.... Coincidence I know but had me in a foul mood all week!

PS The bloody thing is still not acting up since I removed the center console. I hate damn intermittent problems....
    Cheers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Finally the original problem happened again and I was able to see the issue inside the gear shift housing. Indeed the problem is with the Gearshift Interlock Solenoid. I could see that the solenoid did not activate when I pressed the brake pedal hence the gear shift would not move out of park. So I guess I need to replace the solenoid. (Or remove it all together).
    Cheers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thumbs up Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

I replaced the Interlock Solenoid. All seems good now however I don't think the solenoid was the issue. There is also a micro switch in the gear shift housing that disables the solenoid when the vehicleis in gear, so that each time you brake you don't activate the solenoid un-necessarily. I think over the years the tensile strength of the lever of this micro switch has lessened therefore it was not quite 'making' the circuit for the solenoid to activate when in 'park'. I bent the level on the micro switch slightly to give more pressure and I believe this was the final fix. I guess time will tell if the problem resurfaces...
    Cheers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Well, my problem with 'sticking in park' started again! I had a few weeks of flawless operation however now I have the problem again. I've ordered a new 'micro switch' from the dealer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!

So I will replace this when it arrives....
    Cheers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thumbs up Re: Gear Shift Sticking In Park (Automatic)

Micro switch arrived and I installed this the other night. So far so good. (Although I am probably tempting fate now!)
    Cheers!

Thread Information