Thread: Fog Light

Default Fog Light

My fog light stopped working today on my 1993 Defender, but the fog light warning light on the dash was working.

While checking the bulb I think I shorted the dash light....because it does not light anymore. I have checked the dash light bulb and the fuse, they are both working....what is the problem????
    Can anyone shed any light on this.....

I am not having much luck today.......Last night some low life broke into my garage (where I also keep the Defender) and nicked my new push bike and box of new padlocks I am now very worried that they might be ack for the Defender......

thanks

Consultant
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Fog Light

Quote Originally Posted by Volkan View Post
    My fog light stopped working today on my 1993 Defender, but the fog light warning light on the dash was working.

While checking the bulb I think I shorted the dash light....because it does not light anymore. I have checked the dash light bulb and the fuse, they are both working....what is the problem???
    1993, that's tdi300 era IIRC - ie before the fancy electronic switches of the td5.

You can't "short the dashboard light" while fiddling at the back.

Did you blow the fuse ?

As a quick check, if you connect a 12V supply to pin 2 of your trailer socket (assuming you have one), then you should get the rear fog light AND the dash indicator on.

After that, recheck the fuse (try another one) and check it's actually tight in the terminals. Then check the switch - if it's the same as the older models then it's a bit prone to dirty contacts. If you take it off, IIRC you can get in to carefully clean off the terminal pads and give it a squirt of something like WD40.
    110 V8 LPG, 90 2.5 Petrol (no longer turbo diseasel )
    See my website for info on LPG conversions

Default Re: Fog Light

Quote Originally Posted by SimonHobson View Post
    1993, that's tdi300 era IIRC - ie before the fancy electronic switches of the td5.

You can't "short the dashboard light" while fiddling at the back.

Did you blow the fuse ?

As a quick check, if you connect a 12V supply to pin 2 of your trailer socket (assuming you have one), then you should get the rear fog light AND the dash indicator on.

After that, recheck the fuse (try another one) and check it's actually tight in the terminals. Then check the switch - if it's the same as the older models then it's a bit prone to dirty contacts. If you take it off, IIRC you can get in to carefully clean off the terminal pads and give it a squirt of something like WD40.
    Simon thanks for the tips...

My truck is late 200tdi I beleive...

I have been checking the wrong fuse...yes the fuse blown. I replaced it and like you sugessted the terminals at the base of the bulb were playing up. I have cleaned them and bend the positive end so the bulb sits bit tighter...all up and running again...until next time..

thanks again...

Thread Information