Thread: Another water leak / sunroof question

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Another water leak / sunroof question

We had torrential rain last night. I got into my TD5 Discovery and heard dripping from the boot area...

The rear load cover was covered in water - I could hear water dripping onto it when the car was in motion. As soon as I stopped to see where it was coming from the dripping stopped. If I set off again, drip drip drip, but it was too dark to see in the rear view mirror where it was bloody coming from!

Anyways, more heavy rain today. The car was parked up so I got in to see if I could see any evidence in the daylight. Water was dripping in from the an area to the top right of the tail gate, as you look from within the car.

It looks to be leaking between the rubber seal and the door. The headlining is bone dry all over and neither of the sunroofs show any sign of ingress.

I always assumed that any water leak from above would be sunroof related. Would that necessarily mean a wet headlining?

Anyone had a similar leak from the top corner of the tailgate area?
    Freelander 2 TD_4 GS
    Discovery TD5 Millennium - Gone

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Another water leak / sunroof question

Oh yes, all of my Discoveries have leaked, my current TD5 through the roof lining (Sun roofs I gues), the passenger door seal into the footwell and the rear door near the top right corner as is yours... I can't for the life of me understand why Landrover hve failed to identify and correct these leaks which seem apparent on most vehichles, I guess its why we have virtually no motor industry left... Its sad but true... all land r(i)vers leak
    Have Fun

AndyT

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I had a leak in my d1 for ages,sealed my alpine windows many times,boot windows the same. Then I came across a thread on here where Simeon suggested the guttering that runs the length of the disco. I put some sealer in there & bobs your uncle,dry as a bone. Mine was dripping onto the load liner. Theres hair line cracks that open up when your driving .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Wow. I'll try that - thanks. Where did the water appear inside the car in order to drip onto the load liner?
    Freelander 2 TD_4 GS

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by thomo View Post
    I...I came across a thread on here where Simeon suggested the guttering that runs the length of the disco. I put some sealer in there & bobs your uncle,dry as a bone. Mine was dripping onto the load liner. Theres hair line cracks that open up when your driving .
    You don't by chance have a link to that thread do you

Andy
    Have Fun

AndyT

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

mine does the same.......depends on which way i park it, my drive is sloping downhill - if i reverse on i get a wet load cover, if idrive on it's dry, that's what makes me think it's not the sunroof - luckily i don't sit in the back lol. besides, i had a defender and my right leg was always soaked when i got to work from the water leak in the top of the door so this is nothing hahahaha!
    Previously owned... contact me if you have one now.
    FVL 508T series 3 diesel swb - scrapped.
    M805 LOX 300 tdi disco.
    G902 SNN 200 tdi disco.
    RPY 393G 2A diesel swb.
    H804 DEG 110 defender 200 tdi.
    DX52 SPZ 110 defender td5.
    SW51 CZX 1.8i freelander braemar.
    Currently driving - 2000 Td5 Disco, looking for a nickname for it..."the money pit" is hot favourite.

Landrovers...the only constant thing in my life .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My bet is 99% the sun roof is the culprit, my 97 Tdi was soaking inside the first winter I had it. Some water gets in around the rubber seal between sunroof and glass- most of the water gets in between the sunroof unit and the roof panel. The Cure is to do as I have done with my tdi and the td5 and remove the head lining, remove the sunroof units and seal them to the roof panel with black "Sika Flex 291" polyurethane sealant. Silicone is no good as it will not tolerate the amount of movement required- think how much a panel as large as the roof expands and contracts between frosty in the winter and the backing hot sun in the summer!
    Sealed to the roof and fitted new rubber seals found on Ebay- silicone grease is a tip for keeping the rubbers watertight.
    I did my Tdi back in November 07 and it is still perfectly water tight now!
    http://www.muckytruckin.co.uk/pages/.../discoroof.asp
    This link explains all, I can do this in about 5hours.
    Hope this is of some help to you all.
    Tom

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mepham View Post
    My bet is 99% the sun roof is the culprit, my 97 Tdi was soaking inside the first winter I had it. Some water gets in around the rubber seal between sunroof and glass- most of the water gets in between the sunroof unit and the roof panel. The Cure is to do as I have done with my tdi and the td5 and remove the head lining, remove the sunroof units and seal them to the roof panel with black "Sika Flex 291" polyurethane sealant. Silicone is no good as it will not tolerate the amount of movement required- think how much a panel as large as the roof expands and contracts between frosty in the winter and the backing hot sun in the summer!
    Sealed to the roof and fitted new rubber seals found on Ebay- silicone grease is a tip for keeping the rubbers watertight.
    I did my Tdi back in November 07 and it is still perfectly water tight now!
    http://www.muckytruckin.co.uk/pages/.../discoroof.asp
    This link explains all, I can do this in about 5hours.
    Hope this is of some help to you all.
    Tom
    You will need these to clean the excess sealant from the paintwork on the roof.
    http://www.bigwipes.com/industrial-p...s-overview.htm
    I get them at Brewers and Plumbase
    Tom

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by le bouch View Post
    Wow. I'll try that - thanks. Where did the water appear inside the car in order to drip onto the load liner?
    It was dripping from the alpine window plastic trim,then dripping onto the load liner. What I used which was recommended by another landy driver was creeping crack cure,its a liquid that gets into any cracks & seals it. I got it off ebay. Good luck

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ydna-renrut View Post
    You don't by chance have a link to that thread do you

Andy
    nah mate,it was a while back

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have recently purchased a 58 000 mile 03 Disco from a main dealer. Imagine my surprise to go out one morning to find the dash covered in water and the front seats soaking. The main dealer told me that this wasn't covered by my select warranty and in fact I should count my self lucky! He said that if I owned a Defender I would be up to my knees in water after all the rain we have had recently. Way to go Landrover, that's something to be proud of!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Seeing as it seems ALL Discos and Defenders eventually leak, I'm surprised no-one's developed a cottage-industry fixing them. Removing the headlining, clearing the tubes, re-sealing the cups then replacing the outer rubbers and applying heavy-duty sealant seems more labour intensive than anything else?
    What puts me off trying it is the worry that I'll remove the headlining, break some clips and not be able to put it back again!
    Freelander 2 TD_4 GS

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My 02 TD5 is parked level but we have a bit of a downhill to get out the drive, if its rained hard when you get to the bottom of the drive water pours out of both front seat belts.

I really need to find where the problem is but like you say a little worried about breaking clips etc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Headlining removal isn't that bad a job, but you do need to have two clear days of fine weather and a second pair of hands to get it out.

I think that the headlining removal documentation is on a separate website, but I cannot find it right now, something like www.disco2.com, but that isn't running.

The rear tailgate cuff seal is a place to look at for leakage, the door must shut onto the seal squarely, or you'll get water through.

Peter
    June 1999 Disco 4.0 V8 Manual GS on LPG
    email: diesel@easynet.co.uk web: http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk
    V8 Rebuild: http://tinyurl.com/2vee7vz Sunroof: http://tinyurl.com/39d9dfn R380: http://tinyurl.com/32v2r3h
    OBDII Reader: http://tinyurl.com/36r2bv5 LPG Valves http://tinyurl.com/28v943q ABS Mod 19/12/2009 99543Miles
    D1 Image Archive: http://tinyurl.com/2u2sr9d D2 Image Archive: http://tinyurl.com/3x72fd7

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The headlining is not that difficult to remove, its mainly screws that hold things together and what clips there are don't tend to break. You do have to be a little brutal with the headlining to get it out but you can bend it and it will still return to its shape.
    As I remember, from the back- remove the alpine roof light trims, just let them hang on the rear seat belts, remove load space light, remove rear sunroof trim, remove rear seating area light, grab handles above the rear door openings, alarm sensors, don't remove the door post trims- all i did was prize the top edge away enough to get the head lining out, same applies for the windscreen pillar trims. Remove front grab handles, sun visors and the big 'wing' shaped bit they fit on with the interior light. Headlining removal best achieved with two people!
    I drove my 300tdi without the headlining for a week to make sure it was watertight.
    I also put a 3kw electric fan heater inside it and shut all the doors for a few hours- dad opened the door and his glasses steamed up before he got his head in the door it was so damp!
    Tom

Thread Information