Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300tdi oil leak

Default 300tdi oil leak

Hi all,

I've noticed this past while a small oil leak on the left hand side of my defender's engine (300tdi), around the manifold area behind the alternator. While it's not losing oil in any quantities worth worrying about, it's still a nagging problem that I'd like rid of. All I've done so far is hose it off to try and find the source, but I can't narrow it down, and it starts returning a few days later. The Rocker Cover Gasket was replaced last january by the previous owner due to an oil leak, if that info helps any.

Any suggestions as to what it could be would be helpful, as I'd like to take a look at it over the Christmas holidays, and (hopefully) repair it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 300tdi oil leak

Very definiately a split manifold gasket which is easy to replace.

James
    Jamesms

1996 90 Tdi300

Proud Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

hi i have a 300tdi just replaced my manifold gasket last week looked same as yours,got it from paddocks gone in two places.
    check out the posts on here

Thanks guys, will be nipping out to the land rover spares store for a new gasket first thing Monday morning.

Angry Re: 300tdi oil leak

Hi Forgive me for being thick but being new to landrovers why does this manifold problem cause an oil leak (in my case seems like a fair amount of oil but in exactly this position Cheers

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ooo glad i saw this post, mines got a leak around there too, ......so how easy a fix is it?
    If at first you dont succeed........... come on here and find out how its done properly!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by richardbloke View Post
    Hi Forgive me for being thick but being new to landrovers why does this manifold problem cause an oil leak (in my case seems like a fair amount of oil but in exactly this position Cheers
    It is oil from the cyclone separator on the other side of the engine, the heavy oily bits go back to the crankcase whilst the lighter elements are piped round the back of the engine and into the main intake duct. It leaks because the manifold is pressurised by the turbo. You can lose quite a lot of turbo boost from this leak as well. At least I found the engine was noticably livelier when I replaced the gasket on mine.

It is also why you should flush out your intercooler every 50,000 miles or so

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ooo im excited now, more boost, going to have to bite the bullet and go to my local landy parts place rather than get one cheaper on line as it will definately get folded up by my postie when she rams it through the letterbox.

Mines a 1994 300tdi, looks like the gasket is a ERR3785 (might help someone out there)
    If at first you dont succeed........... come on here and find out how its done properly!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The job itself is pretty simple and should take less than an hour. It is simply a matter of loosening the joint between exhaust pipe and silencer, unfastening the manifold bots and nuts, a couple of them are quite well concealed. Pivot the manifold/turbo assembly out of the way, remove the old gasket, clean gasket faces, fit new gasket and bolt everything back up.
    Not sure if the exhaust pipe joint is the same on a 90 as a 110, but it is the first joint that needs to be slackened, the one between the down pipe and the centre box. Just enough to allow the pipes to rotate in relation to each other.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

LMAO one hour, that will be per bolt for me, if it can go wrong it will go wrong. I will have a go at it though cheers

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

^^^ GOOD quality penetrating oil is your friend!

Forget WD40, bite the bullet and get some proper penetrating oil, apply it to all of the relevant bolts/studs twice a day for a day or two before you carry out the work.
    www.barebox.co.uk
    No Nonsense Storage for Land Rovers

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

cheers, i have just the stuff, aquired from work, we use it to undo hefty nuts that are getting on 100 years old, special formulation! I will get this gasket done probably next week, getting fed up of chasing oil drips on my drive

Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

This may be what's wrong with mine. I have a rather wet looking left hand side and I can only get 50 mph after I changed my hoses to silicone and fixed my wastegate.
    I have a 1989 with a 300tdi would that be the same part number?????
    North East Defenders Scotland: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476586705901873/

1989 110 CSW 300Tdi (Big Jim) my first 110

2014 Discovery 4 HSE lux

Proud member of YCHJCYA2PDTHFH.

Bleeding Pleebs since 1994

Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yeah tjhats a silly question innit

Which is better brit part or Genuine?????

BP is half the price
    North East Defenders Scotland: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476586705901873/

1989 110 CSW 300Tdi (Big Jim) my first 110

2014 Discovery 4 HSE lux

Proud member of YCHJCYA2PDTHFH.

Bleeding Pleebs since 1994

Thanks for that, I will order the parts and hopefully sort it although the oil dripping on the exhaust doe give the car a distinctive aroma. The engine is also leaking from the back at the left hand top corner, there seems to be a load of breather pipes here has any one got any bright ideas as to which parts are likely to disintergrate when I investigate so that I can get them in anticaption of what I guess are gunked up/leaking breather pipes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information