Thread: 300tdi timing chain?

Default 300tdi timing chain?

I recently bought a 90 for the missus and not being sure when the timing belt was changed booked it into a garage to have it changed. He just called me to say he has stripped it down ready to fit the belt he ordered only to find a chain. The LR is on a 94 plate. All I can assume is that this was an after market installation after the early problems with premature failure of the belts when this engine first came out. Any ideas, unfortunatley I wasn't able to see for my self but I'm confiddnt the mechanic knows what he's talking about. I had a quick search for similar links but didn't see anything.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: 300tdi timing chain?

I've heard of the Zeus timing gear mod (its apparently quite noisy) that is still available for the 300 but never a chain mod.

Creator of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club, just ask me,

WOOF, WOOF WOOF WOOF, I'm hungry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Neither have I, we need a picture.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Please get a picture! I am interested in seeing this!

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
    1998 Discovery 300TDI (Disco PEW) (staying with friends )
    1988 Range Rover Hybrid 3.5V8 EFI 88" (Boris)
    2001 Discovery TD5 ES (Reginald)
    1999 Renault Clio RT Auto 1.6 (for the mrs)

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

This has all the signs of a very interesting thread.

Yes early 300TD's were prone to cambelt problems but this was later cured by a factory modification and while I have seen the Zeus gear conversion I have certainly NEVER heard of a chain conversion. If someone has gone to the trouble of designing & manufacturing a conversion such as this it begs the question as to why it was never widely marketed?

I take it you are fully aware of the 300TDi engine (what it looks & performs like) and are happy that one is fitted to your particular vehicle?
    Sorry to ask such a question but I am aware of a situation where something similar happened (not cambelt related) and when the engine was looked at by someone who knew what they were looking at instantly saw that it was a completely different type of (non-LR) engine and the new owner had been conned into believing they had a standard vehicle.
    ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

That was my initial thought Litch.

If a picture is posted, someone will identify the engine.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Looks like the mechanic could have found something interesting here. I will call him in the morn and see if he will take the pics, I'm currently working 100 miles away and can't get down to it. It looks identical to pics of the 300tdi in the haynes manual. Will give an update tomorrow.

Chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Swingletree View Post
    I've heard of the Zeus timing gear mod (its apparently quite noisy) that is still available for the 300 but never a chain mod.
    The Zeus gear conversion isnt noisy as far as i,m aware, seen one in an Isuzu and it was sweet as anything, plus you never worry about snapped belts, i dont think i would fancy chain really as they wear over time and get noisy, belt is probably best option.
    Be smart, Buy british!!

110 double cab Isuzu 2.8.........soon to be V8

"sir, do you smell burning?"
    "no, thats just my Land Rover!!"

A dog is for life, Discoverys usually last me about 12 months

Well after much head banging it would appear the engine has a zues timing gear kit fitted, never mind thought there may have been an opportunity to make few quid to keep up with the cost of maintaining the old girl. As a sub note the gearbox and transfer box were replaced under warranty however on inspection there now appears to be oil leaking from the bell housing. Smells like EP90 should I be worried. small puddle the size of a jam jar lid in morning.

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shorty123 View Post
    on inspection there now appears to be oil leaking from the bell housing. Smells like EP90 should I be worried. small puddle the size of a jam jar lid in morning.
    Yes you should be worried because

1) that is quite a leak
    2) there shouldn't be ep90 in the gearbox, it takes ATF.

You sure it is coming out of the bell housing? i.e. the wading plug hole?

If it is ep90 it usually escapes from the front propshaft end of the transfer box, and that is an easy fix.
    If it is engine oil, check the breathers for the engine, or the rear crank seal has gone, buy a drip tray (shallow baking tray from wilkos) and leave it underneath where you park.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have heard of more than one instance where Zeus timing gears have failed. The resulting mess that the teeth make is worst than having a cam belt break. Last 300tdi cam belt breakage I dealt with was due to no wading plug and it not having the modified timing gear fitted. Any way damage was limited to 3 bend pushrods and one broken rocker.

Thread Information