Thread: Has anyone bought a car without a V5?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Has anyone bought a car without a V5?

Has anyone bought a car without a V5 and successfully managed to get one from the DVLA?

I keep noticing old series Landys for sale on eBay where the seller has no documents for them - obviously the price/bidding reflects this but I was wondering what sort of level of hassle/expence one has to suffer to produce a V5? Presumably one has to produce some sort of proof that the vehicle they're applying for is now theirs? Anyone done this?

...Oh and so the thread doesn't turn into a 'buyer beware' one we'll assume the LR in question is legit, the reg number is known and the elderly farmer who owned it passed away leaving his family to dispose of the vehicle but the documents cannot be found!

Consultant
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Has anyone bought a car without a V5?

Last time I did it, it was fill in the form and pay your money. About 2 weeks later the V5 came. As long as you do the right checks it should be ok. If it has been off the road for a long time the DVLA might ask for a VIC.

Paul
    Oswestry, Shropshire.
    LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with winch mount and tyre carrier (soon).

http://www.crag-uk.org

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I've often thought the same/. Unless it was something special, say an S1 for 100(!!!) then for me, I think it would be too much hassle and too concerning. However, if you're looking to do it, good luck!

1972 Series III SWB, "Hannah Belle" Rebuild -> http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119456

"Hannah Belle", Europe trip and over the Alps -> http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...p-and-a-naming...

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Done if a few times without a problem as long as on the DVLA database.
    Check the reg on the DVLA web site under the "release fo information" section.
    If DVLA haven't got it on record then the troubles CAN start with having to get dating certificate etc,
    Having an old MOT. tax disc or insurance certificate showing reg number is a help.

Paul Humphries.

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have done it recently...bought the car from a guy who said it was in the post and should have it by the time I picked the car up. Got car, still no V5 so said I would give him half of the money until the V5 arrived. It didn't so I applied for the V5 instead - took a couple of weeks - but expect to wait for up to 6 weeks.
    www.rustyrhinos.com
    It is not often that you will find yourself driving a car, being offered a digestive biscuit and hesitatingly ask "Does it have any sand in it?". It was at this point that we realised we were in the depths of a great place.
    Drives: 1963 SWB 2.25 Petrol, Suzuki SJ 413, Celica GT4 ST205, 323BF 4X4 Turbo, Astra MK2 SRi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Agree with the above. Did this recently for a friend of Gala (Russian) who bought a Passat from a Guy who had lost the V5. Checked it out and it was legit, so simply applied in the normal way. You can either fill the form in and post, or you could go to your local DVLA office, they will be able to give you an answer there an then if it's legit and issue a Tax disc if required. They will also order a V5 and that usually only takes 7-14 days from the DVLA office.
    Land Rover Discovery TD5 GS (2004) with ES Premium Interior. Silver. AT2 255x65 R16 Tyres. Rebel Sump Guard, Other goodies waiting for good weather to add

Land Rover Discovery 300TDi 3Dr Flat black.. R91 OAB. Specially adapted Bull Bar, Lights, Snorkel,Champion 12,000Ib winch, AT2 255x65 R16 Tyres with 30mm spacers, Rebel Sump guard, Decat and no middle box, Heavy Duty rear springs. Fuel and Turbo tweak(More to be added)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for all the replies people! It seems this is something worth considering (at least not ruling out) when these vehicles crop up then.

Incidentaly I happened upon another way to check whether a vehicle is registered with the DVLA the other day - if you hit the 'sell' button on eBay then start a vehicle advert it asks you to input the registration number, if when you do the vehicle details appear - it's on the DVLA database! It'll also tell you how many owners it's had etc. Obviously you then just cancel the advert writing process once you've found what you needed. Sly eh?

Milton keeeeynes ,land of roundabouts 'n' concrete cows...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Yep , done it with my current Defender .Guy i got it from had lost the v5 (its a landy workshop , so i know him well) .Think DVLA will write to previous owner just incase you have half inched it .Took a few weeks to come through .

Mark

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Slightly off topic, but is there anything special you have to do to SORN a vehicle that hasn't been SORNed before? I've just bought a car that has been off the road for 10+ years, the DVLA class it as unlicensed.
    1994 300tdi Defender 90 Hardtop
    1968 SIIA 109" 2 1/4 Petrol
    1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_300tdi90 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but is there anything special you have to do to SORN a vehicle that hasn't been SORNed before? I've just bought a car that has been off the road for 10+ years, the DVLA class it as unlicensed.
    Do you mean unlicensed or unregistered? If it's unregistered you won't be liable for the road fund licence - if it's unlicenced just fill in the form from the PO and they'll SORN it regardless of it not being done before.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have to apply for V5 for the 110, its been sorned by previous owner but i think its probably lapsed, she had promised to find docs but has never come up with them. Its 25 to get replacement.
    I have applied for V5 in this way with a few vehicles, last 110 which is now spares, I had off a mate who never had docs when he had it, apparently they fined the previous owner when i applied as it wasnt sorned.
    Be smart, Buy british!!

110 double cab Isuzu 2.8.........soon to be V8

"sir, do you smell burning?"
    "no, thats just my Land Rover!!"

A dog is for life, Discoverys usually last me about 12 months

Consultant
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Don't do anything. Once you tell them it is on a SORN then you will have to keep it up to date. As it was off the road before SORNs came out that it is ok as it is.

Paul
    Oswestry, Shropshire.
    LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with winch mount and tyre carrier (soon).

http://www.crag-uk.org

Thread Information