Thread: Freelander Vibration

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Freelander Vibration

Hi all,
    Im new to this forum and 4x4...
    I am currently driving an 06 plat TD4 Freelander, love the car, but a few niggles and advice from anyone in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    I recently got my front tires changed, same size and same make as the originals (michelins ), the same day I got them fitted I developed a vibration which ended up undrivable, the long and the short of it was having to join the AA on the spot and Landrover Inverness changing the front O/S drive shaft.
    So after this very expensive few days I developed a faint vibration which I hadnt noticed before as it is at speed and because of the snow we had up north I didnt have the Freelander over 40mph.
    This vibration seems worse some days than others, its a pulsating vibration that starts to be noticed at 50mph and is worse at 60mph, then fades above 70mph.
    I am of course worried im going to damage something, but the Freelander seems to be ok otherwise.
    I have read alot online about if fitting new tires ALL 4 should be changed at the same time, or that the new ones should go to the back, I have also read that the bearings eitherside of the VC are prone to giving up, and then I have read that VC give up too along with IDR and rear diffs etc all of which I know is very expensive.
    Bearing in mind the car is an 06 plate and has only covered 42000 miles, has anyone got any ideas what is going wrong with my Freelander? I Love the car, but Im slowly getting dissappointed and seriously considering going for FL2 this summer as they are excellent, but i would like to have the option of upgrading and not being forced into it.
    Please help someone.
    Chunk.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Freelander Vibration

Hi Chunk, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately 'only' 42000 miles can be quite a high mileage for the drive train. Definitely swap the new tyres to the back, and see if the vibration goes away. The VCU problem becomes most apparent on very tight turns where the transmission can lock up. At higher speeds in a straight line vibrations could be caused by tyres or VCU bearing problems. Good luck.
    MB SLK 350 Andradite Green (6 speed manual]
    BMW K1200LT - 16 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting
    LandRover Freelander 1.8P 3DR

1974 Triumph Bonneville 750
    T140V
    My Videos

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

TYRES.
    GET YOUR NEW TYRES MOVED TO THE REAR AXLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This is probably causing the vibration and if not done can result in SERIOUS damage to the transmission system.
    You do not need to replace all 4 tyres at once; this is a myth broadcast by unscrupulous tyre dealers. On a Freelander you should replace in pairs and ALWAYS have the largest tyres on the rear axle.

VCU.
    I've had 2 Freelanders, the first did nearly 100k miles on the original VCU, and the current one has done 72k miles with no problems at all. Some go, some don't. If it feels "tight" on turns that is normal, but there are basic tests you can do to check. Personally I wouldn't worry.
    AKA : THE FAT CONTROLLER
    MSA Radio: WORCESTER 1

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the very quick reply.
    I have swapped the new tires to the back and taken it a good run, the vibration has gone, which im really happy about, the only thing is I now have a very quiet and very slight whine coming from the rear of the car now but only between 65mph and 75 mph, below this it runs smooth and above this it runs smooth, even between these speeds it is running smooth but just a slight whine.
    I will need to change the tires that are now on the front soon and was wondering if this will stop this slight whine?
    It is quite frustrating that Land Rover didnt advise me on this when the car went in for the driveshaft as I told them that the tires had been changed a few days before hand.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Chunk.

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

One other thing, when I was changing the wheels around I ducked under to check the VCU bearings for play and they seem fine, as for the VCU itself I did the hard lock test both ways and it seems fine too.
    Cheers.

Thread Information