Thread: Td5 Mass Air Flow Meter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Td5 Mass Air Flow Meter

Hello all, picked the disco up the other day after having the cylinder head replaced. I followed the disco out of the garage and noticed a bit of black smoke, I thought it might clear and could be residues from having A. the turbo failing and B. the head being replaced.
    It was also down on power and has clearly not been right since we picked it up on Thursday.
    Any how I have had it in for a look and a think at the workshop this morning. I unplugged the Mass Air Flow Meter and it made a huge improvement to performance on a test run.
    Think I need to be ordering a new one Monday morning!!
    Performance is not spot on with it unplugged but it would not as it is running its back up strategy for the MAF.
    Can anyone confirm the symptoms of low power and black smoke being caused by the MAF?
    Thanks
    Tom

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Td5 Mass Air Flow Meter

Low power yes , black Smoke , dont know ... didnt with mine. I think the disconnect test seems pretty conclusive to me , however as head was off check that the loom that would have been disturbed by both turbo and head replacements is not chaffed . Also whatever the temptation I think most would advise to go genuine siemens (e.g. Land Rover) , fitting a cheap copy is not worth it . especially since you have seen the results of a badly behaving MAF , and how no MAF at all is better than a rubbish one.
    Graham

Discovery II TD5 Auto

• Millennium Edition + Cold Pack
    • AlliSport Intercooler
    • JanSpeed Exhaust
    • EBC Brakes
    • Koni Heavy Track Shocks
    • Pipercross Filter
    • EGR Less

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have ti agree with 23skidoo i would never buy another non genuine MAF, i went through 7 non genuine ones on a range rover, all varying in price from cheap 45 to quite expensive 300 (genuine new for the lucas v8 is 760 +vat) but they all gave flat spots and poor fuelling. The MAFs for the discovery are quite a bit cheaper than the range rover and personally i would never buy a none genuine one again.
    Mark
    squizzel

2003 Discovery TD5ES

1971 Morris Minor Traveller
    Under restoration

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=12994

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I will be ordering a genuine one like that then, I had heard about the non-genuine ones being trouble, but what you chaps have said seriously confirmed that. Thank you to you both.
    The black smoke was not excessive; more like what you would normally expect to see out the back of a tdi- td5 is normally pretty clean. I followed it to the garage and I kept a close eye on the smoke then to assess the over all condition of the engine as we had been running on engine oil/diesel in the sump for some time- it was still very clean then but we had a good puff of black out of every junction on the way back. Some how as a result of the MAF being disturbed when the head was changed it has failed, if I take it back to the garage they will only charge me to replace it. I changed the turbo myself and it was fine after that. Bad luck I guess!?
    Thanks Again
    Tom
    PS. I will report when I have fitted the new MAF

Thread Information