Thread: Electric seat swap

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Electric seat swap

Hi all,

I plan make the dreaded manual-to-electric seat swap on my 1999 TD5. I have done some research on this forum which makes me call it the dreaded swap, since all I have found is problems and little solutions.

There seems to be an issue with powering the seats (fuses and relays), it requires computer settings. I have the Nanocom tool.

There seems to be chronic lack of documentation

So does anybody have a word of advise on this? Does the Nanocome allow the setting change and what does it do? are the adjustment switches sending signals to the computer or is it all controlled through local relays. As a backup plan I was just going to use a bunch of relays and power the lot through a power supply and home made harness, but would prefer a plug and play setup using standard harness.

Many thanks for any information, if you can.

Regards,

Jorn

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Electric seat swap

I don't see why you need to have a computer to control the seats the D1 doesn't, just a bunch of relays under and a switch beside each seat will do. You do need a D2 wiring diagram to comfirm the operation.
    1997 Discovery ES V8 auto.
    Previously for 10 years: 1987 Range Rover Vogue Efi auto.
    Previously for 2 years 1985 TVR 350i manual.

USE LOGIC ON DIFFICULT JOBS - Get someone else to do it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

my mate says all the plugs for the seats are all ready to plug in he offerd me some out of his old td5 leather ones,i asked him about fitting ..he said i need the panel changing in the chubby box.or to fit the one he got with the td5 seats then as i remove my old seats the conector block is all ready to connect under my old seats.....but mine is cloth seats and are in good nick..my wife hates leather

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

forgot to say my disco is a 300 tdi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ok all, I will answer my own question for future reference.

So got my seats and have installed the passenger one to start with. There is basically a power supply plug fitted with the car loom (brown). This plugs into the seat and powers the electric seats, movement and heating. For the heating the car loom has a plug fitted already which will plug into the center heating switch. The seat movement control switch is rather elaborate, and has a seperate loom from the switch to the seat (grey connector). There is no wiring in place at the car for the switch so you need to get this loom and threat it to the centre console (easy).

Now for the powering up: the seat has a series of relays and fuses. It gets power and them signals from the control switch. The seats are not always powered (off when car off) and this is done with a single relay, which is switched on by the car trought the ECU - hence the need to program the car. Nanocom has the electric seat fittet/not fitted option and you simply toggle this and the seats are moving.

Took about 30min to remove and fit the seat including nanocom action.

Since I am converting from manual to electric I need a bunch of things: 1) Seat 2x, 2) wire loom 2x, 3) seat control switch with holder 2x, 4) new center console 1x (with the holes for the seat switch). 4) Heating switches 2x and 5) panel with extra holes 1x.

I am still a few parts short and expect some more ebay deliveries. Another 2 weeks and it should all be good.

Soon I will have a full 7 seat set of tan half leather seats for sale. 1999, only 55kmiles. Good shape, but the velvid is starting to roll a bit, if you know what I mean..

Regards,

Jorn

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Well done Jorn the fitting of electric seats comes up now and again in the forum so when you fitthe driver side take & post a few pics of the plugs and connections, that would be good for future reference..
    1997 Discovery ES V8 auto.
    Previously for 10 years: 1987 Range Rover Vogue Efi auto.
    Previously for 2 years 1985 TVR 350i manual.

USE LOGIC ON DIFFICULT JOBS - Get someone else to do it.

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi, I am new here but am interested in the seat swap! I have a TD5 2000 basic 'S' model and have bought a complete interior from a ES TD5 of the same year, it came with 7 leather seats, front ones electric & heated, all the switches, centre console with switch holes, a loom which someone has cut off where the dash starts (woe) all the door cards etc.etc. I have noticed the fuses/wiring etc. under the passenger seat, and wondered how much additional wiring is involved in getting my seats to move & heat up???? I also have the small loom wires from the switches to the seats, when I purchased the interior I was told that the wiring was the same on all Discovery 2's and it was only a matter of connecting the existing connections to the seats and adding the relays under the bonnet!! but when I removed the centre console I realised by loom only has about half the wires running through it compaired to the hacked out loom I have with the interior I Bought.
    Any body got any help on this one??? any wiring diagrams to help? I take it it is not as simple as powering the fuse box under the passenger seat and connecting it to all the switches???
    Any help would be great as I am looking forward to having a nice interior......

Also if it helps anybody I run my own sign & sticker company and can supply almost any sign/sticker you can think of!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Well the concept is simple. The seat connects to the control switches with the dedicated loom, which is not part of the vehicle, but comes with the seats. The seats than just gets power from the car which is part of the car's wiring.

Finally, to ensure power is provided you need to switch on the power seat function in the onboard computer for which you need some from of interface like Nanocom.

It is simple if you have all the bits and retrofits any D2 as far as I know.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The wiring loom between seat and control switch looks as follows: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESOX:IT and if this is the one that is cut you will need to find new ones. They are the same for left and right.

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi js5d!
    Thanks for replys! I got a complete interior with all the looms, only the large loom that runs under the centre console in the plastic carrier has been hacked off where the dash/heater box starts. I have the centre console with all the switches and the looms you show above. I have not yet taken out the passenger seat but there seems to be a lack of connections under the two front seats. My car is only a TD5 S model that is missing a lot of the main loom under the centre consol. I think you are saying I do not need all of those wires and can power up the passenger seat with a 12V supply which may or my not be under the passenger seat already, then I connect these sub looms above to the switches. How am I doing? does this sound correct???

Thread Information