Thread: steering relay and MOT

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default steering relay and MOT

Hi there guys. As my MOT has crept up on me (No reminder sent!) I decided to check over all the ball joints in the steering to find out where the large amount of play in the wheel was coming from and I noticed that when the steering wheel was turned the bottom of the relay was moving side to side, by about a quarter inch or so. So no prizes for guessing where all the play is coming from!

Question 1, is the relay covered by the MOT? I'm guessing it would be.

second question, How to I go about sorting it? Is it just a case a case of replacing bushes, or the actual relay arm or both? kinda need to do it pretty quick as well which doesn't help!

cheers guys, Gill

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: steering relay and MOT

Is it the shaft in the relay or the relay in the chassis thats moving?

Articles Editor & Moderator Satancom's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yes any play in the steering system will be noted and is a possible fail. The arm under my steering relay was loose after a heavy off road section and it was fine after tightening up. But if its worn it may be more cost effective to replace it rather than try and repair it!
    Motors : 1980 Series III 109" V8, 2004 Mazda RX-8 (it starts sometimes too)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CCKW353A1 View Post
    Is it the shaft in the relay or the relay in the chassis thats moving?
    I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't really got a good look in about it yet, Just got a guy at work to waggle my wheel while i lay underneath looking for movement. It seemed to be the whole bottom arm that was moving, including the shaft but what it was moving in i couldn't say. I'll have a better look tomorrow.
    cheers, GIll

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

If the shaft is moving within the relay, you need a new relay. I've heard of pattern part relays shearing with relatively little effort, leaving the vehicle with no directional control, so buy genuine only (Blanchard or Dunsfold would be your best bet). If it's the relay case moving, check the collar is fitted to the chassis at the bottom end, check the two bolts at the top and make sure the bolt flanges on the top of the chassis cross member are still secure. If that doesn't sort it out, have a word with Tony109 - I got one of his thick relay collars and it does make a difference.

As Snagger has already said I think your collar might be missing from the bottom. They look a bit pointless being just a small lightweight piece of steel but are vital to stop the relay swinging around.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

cheers guys. I never got a chance to have a look today due to thunderstorms and even some sleet and it's june next week! hopefully it's just the collar then. I'll let you know when I've had a good look.

gill

A common problem is the relay moving in the chassis.. Have a look at the thread "Relay location" if you find the relay moving in the chassis.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Right guys, had na wee holiday so never got round to checking the relay properly, but have now managed to have a good look while doing a few other jobs. It seems to be the whole relay that is moving. It's quite difficult to tell from the bottom, but certainly sems to be the whole thing. The collar is there, but it is not flat. It has a couple of dents where it looks like the relay has bashed off it, and it's kinda pulled up in between the bolts. basically it looks twisted. so would a new collar be the first port of call?

cheers, Gill

Quote Originally Posted by erubus View Post
    Right guys, had na wee holiday so never got round to checking the relay properly, but have now managed to have a good look while doing a few other jobs. It seems to be the whole relay that is moving. It's quite difficult to tell from the bottom, but certainly sems to be the whole thing. The collar is there, but it is not flat. It has a couple of dents where it looks like the relay has bashed off it, and it's kinda pulled up in between the bolts. basically it looks twisted. so would a new collar be the first port of call?

cheers, Gill
    If the entire relay is moving in the chassis, then a new collar that is robust enough to fully locate the relay would be a wise upgrade
    phpZax0XrPM1..jpgphpaKhXMkPM4..jpgphpkIeFQ6PM5..jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

pm sent tony.

gill

Thread Information