Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sound proofing

Default DIY Sound proofing

Anyone suggest materials for soundproofing,read some place that carpet underlay was Ok ?
    Where does it need to go for most effect ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DIY Sound proofing

Camping roll mats, carpet underlay or cheap carpet tiles seem most popular. Stuck to the roof, sides and floors inc wheel arch boxes.
    If you search on here there is lots of reference material.

Neil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

A thick rubber backed mat in the back is a very good start. I found one of those dirt trapper ones in a skip - After a pressure wash and cut down - it's ideal

Try the carpet tiles behind rear benches, as they bend when warm, and stick in place well.
    I don't trust Fastcardirect.co.uk as they do not honour sales
    Before you judge someone to be an idiot, first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes !
    ( What kind of idiot lets you walk off in their shoes anyway?)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I might have gone a little OTT with my efforts but I am looking to semi convert to ao camper.

1. I've used Evo-Stik Flashband (Flashing tape) direct to the panels to cut down the reverb first. I have entirely lined the whole rear and front with this stuff. It is very easy to lay, wont be coming off (ever) and can be bought for 25 for a roll of 30cm x 10m. DYOR but it appears to be doing a job for me and doesn't smell which was my concern.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true

2. I then added a layer of foilbacked Airtec Double (bubble wrap insulation) I had left over from a job which was glued to the flashband using Evo-Stick Spray carpet adhesive.

3. On top of that I have applied B and Qs finest camping mats which are currently on offer. Again these were glued to the Bubble wrap foil suing spray adhesive.

4. Then I have fitted carpet to the rear which I have rivetted down using Aluminimum angle strips.

5. Going to add a thick rubber bootliner for when I need the loadspace for messier jobs.

I will expand this to the side panels, roof and bulkhead over the coming weeks. I've also used the Flashband and camping mats on the front and rear doors. The backdoor got some strengtheners rivetted onto it (split to ******y) the insulation treatment too as well as a new padded door card and now closes with a reassuring thud rather than the usual tinny rattles. Will add some pics shortly if it helps.
    'Dorothy' X Reg Defender 110 'Special Vehicle'. Source of great financial hardship.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

roof flashing tape (bitumen style, self adhesive) is good direct to the metal. B+Q, wicks, homebase all sell it.

i put the flashband in the rear of my 90 the other week and it has made an improvement, i am still undecided on what to do in the front.
    2003 td4 kalahari

www.tjrfc.co.uk
    - Tonbridge Juddians - best rugby club in the world!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE YCHJCYA2PDTHFH CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    I might have gone a little OTT with my efforts but I am looking to semi convert to ao camper.

1. I've used Evo-Stik Flashband (Flashing tape) direct to the panels to cut down the reverb first. I have entirely lined the whole rear and front with this stuff. It is very easy to lay, wont be coming off (ever) and can be bought for 25 for a roll of 30cm x 10m. DYOR but it appears to be doing a job for me and doesn't smell which was my concern.

2. I then added a layer of foilbacked Airtec Double (bubble wrap insulation) I had left over from a job which was glued to the flashband using Evo-Stick Spray carpet adhesive.

3. On top of that I have applied B and Qs finest camping mats which are currently on offer. Again these were glued to the Bubble wrap foil suing spray adhesive.

4. Then I have fitted carpet to the rear which I have rivetted down using Aluminimum angle strips.

5. Going to add a thick rubber bootliner for when I need the loadspace for messier jobs.

I will expand this to the side panels, roof and bulkhead over the coming weeks. I've also used the Flashband and camping mats on the front and rear doors. The backdoor got some strengtheners rivetted onto it (split to ******y) the insulation treatment too as well as a new padded door card and now closes with a reassuring thud rather than the usual tinny rattles. Will add some pics shortly if it helps.
    Get them pics up ASAP and lets see the results ,it must be like being in a padded cell ...great ideas I'll certainly look into them

Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Wot He Said ^^^^^^
    North East Defenders Scotland: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476586705901873/

1989 110 CSW 300Tdi (Big Jim) my first 110

2014 Discovery 4 HSE lux

Proud member of YCHJCYA2PDTHFH.

Bleeding Pleebs since 1994

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1262.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1266.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1269.JPG

Will add some more of the camping mat stage and final carpetting. I've paused on the carpet to make sure I cut it perfectly to fit the angled area where it meets the Bulkhead.

TIP. If you use angle strip like I am to hold the carpet in place, make sure you don't drill through the carpet as the drill will more than likely catch a thread which will wrap around the drill and ruin the carpet.

Noitceable difference already, the roof and side panels to follow when the rain stops. I will also attempt the same with the bulkhead and may see if I can add some under bonnet insulation too. I've decided to lose my side hatches in favour of Export twin windows so I hope the trade of wont be too bad when i add all that extra glass.

If you use flashband for bigger sections like the floor be aware that it can tear if it sticks and you then try to lift it to reposition it. I peeled the backing part way when i did the wheel boxes and then as I smoothed it in place I removed more backing so it was more manageable. You can cut it into smaller sections if you prefer as it is really there to limit vibrations and there is little to no benefit to using a long run over a short run.
    Last edited by clarkster; 11th Aug 2010 at 00:50. Reason: error
    'Dorothy' X Reg Defender 110 'Special Vehicle'. Source of great financial hardship.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I used closed cell foam (same as camping mats) on the roof of the 90, stuck on with spray on carpet adhesive. Worked really well all winter, stopped condensation, made the inside warmer and cut down the sound. Unfortunately when the hot weather came (well the one hot day we've had this summer ) it all started falling off. So now I've got to do it again, will try Evo Stick contact adhesive this time, unless anyone has any better ideas?
    The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up!

---------------------------------------------
    Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

1984 V8 110 CSW
    1991 200TDi 90
    Big pile of 11a bits

Milton keeeeynes ,land of roundabouts 'n' concrete cows...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Clarkster , thats gonna be one well insulated defender if you do convert it to a camper .Nice and toasty warm in there :-)

I have the Wright Off Road stuff in the front of my Defender , its not cheap , but its brilliant .And you can wash it out and it comes up like new :-)

In the rear i have old carpet on wheel boxes , tyjis was there when i got it . On the floor of the rear tub i have a section of the matting that they use on golf course driving ranges , then on top i have a full rubber load liner that i got second hand .Now its rather quite .The roof just has the same cheap old carpet on , stuck in my PO and so far hasnt fallen off , in the 4 yrs i have had it , plus however long he had in before me .

Oh , and a huge, thick foam dog bed in the rear tub for my pooch , she gets comfy ride and i get even more sound proofing ;-)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1262.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1266.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FcB0L666iwA/TG...0/IMG_1269.JPG

Will add some more of the camping mat stage and final carpetting. I've paused on the carpet to make sure I cut it perfectly to fit the angled area where it meets the Bulkhead.

TIP. If you use angle strip like I am to hold the carpet in place, make sure you don't drill through the carpet as the drill will more than likely catch a thread which will wrap around the drill and ruin the carpet.

Noitceable difference already, the roof and side panels to follow when the rain stops. I will also attempt the same with the bulkhead and may see if I can add some under bonnet insulation too. I've decided to lose my side hatches in favour of Export twin windows so I hope the trade of wont be too bad when i add all that extra glass.

If you use flashband for bigger sections like the floor be aware that it can tear if it sticks and you then try to lift it to reposition it. I peeled the backing part way when i did the wheel boxes and then as I smoothed it in place I removed more backing so it was more manageable. You can cut it into smaller sections if you prefer as it is really there to limit vibrations and there is little to no benefit to using a long run over a short run.
    Excellent ,the more pictures the better ....when you say "angle strip "do you mean the wood strip with the needles sticking up which grips the carpet ?Rather than drill it could you stick it down with some of the powerful adhesives like No More Nails ?

W'eve just finished having a loft conversion done and the lads left some insulation material ,its silver foil both sides which sandwiches what looks like a glass fiber material,its meant to keep the roof warm in winter and cool in summer and said to be more effective than the more standard loft insulation...anyway I was thinking of using it as its just lying around doing nothing .

Looks like flash band first ,then this stuff Ive just mentioned above, and then a bit of black carpet all over the floor/wheelarches and then up the sides ,around the windows.
    I'll probably get some good quality hardboard and have it cut to fit around the windows to sandwich the insulation in place and then run the carpet up the sides to the point where it reaches the roof liner ( which I don't have yet ,but am on the look out if anyone has a grey one for a 90 for sale let me know !) The roof I'll flash band ,more of the insulation material and then ,when i get it ,the roof liner ....if I can ram in any camping mat material I'll do that as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

By 'angle strip' I meant Angle Aluminium which I was going to pre drill and rivet in place. Bit extreme but thought it would be a neater finish. I just couldn't bring myself to glue gripper rods in the back I wasn't sure of the best order with the multi layer insulation but flashband first makes most sense. I did the cab roof this evening and so far that is Flashband, camping mat glued to that and I might add some foil back insulation to either the mat or headlining.

Alas having a poke around I managed to knock though the chassis I think just beyond where the rear Crossmember extensions would come to. Rear Cross was only MOTable without tow bar fitted and the tank guard is hanging off as the area of the rear cross it bolted to is gone Also seems to be a fair amount of play in the fuel tank when I push it up lying below. That has ensured I woke up worried at 5am. What a total dog I bought.

Milton keeeeynes ,land of roundabouts 'n' concrete cows...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

I too have used the Angle Ally strips , they do finish off the job rather nicely .

Mark

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Damn. I thought I was the first

I flashed and padded the seatboxes, battery compartment, trans tunnel, etc beneath the heavy rubber flooring. Makes a noticeable difference and now the noise has moved rear to the side panels and roof that I have yet to complete. Nice to know the efforts are not in vain. Easy to add extra insulation to the seatboxes as it is always possible to add a few extra washers/spacer to raise the seat frames up to allow it to fit beneath. Chickened out on the bulkhead as it was a bit too fiddly but will give the same treatment to the footwells. More pics to follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information