Thread: Clutch/Transmission 'rattle' when in neutral at idle

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Clutch/Transmission 'rattle' when in neutral at idle

I have that annoying 'rattle' that goes away when clutch pedal is depressed (have had it now for about two years and although it's not got any worse I am fed up of hearing it!). No noise apparent when driving along apart from the odd 'screech' from somewhere if I take my foot of the throttle (any ideas?), so I'm guessing input shaft bearing? If so, how easy/hard to sort it? Cheers
    1998 Discovery 300TDi Off Roader
    http://www.jobstop247.org

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Clutch/Transmission 'rattle' when in neutral at idle

mine does it when i start it unless my foot is on the clutch i believe its the thrust bearing for the clutch i believe it may last a long time like this (been like it for 18 months at least) but you will soon know if its not alright!
    don't follow me,i'm lost too.95 disco 1 300tdi
    proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by *landy man* View Post
    mine does it when i start it unless my foot is on the clutch i believe its the thrust bearing for the clutch i believe it may last a long time like this (been like it for 18 months at least) but you will soon know if its not alright!
    Yeah I'm not worried about it, just fed up of hearing it and want to know how much time to allocate to sort it out! I'm sure that thrust bearing is the opposite - noisy with clutch down but fine with clutch up - might be wrong though!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Usually the spigot bearing or bush in the flywheel makes a noise when in gear with the clutch pressed, the box isn't moving but the engine is.

If you can vary the noise by pressing the clutch pedal and it stops when you engage a gear, it's backlash in the layshaft and mainshaft gears or more usually the transfer box gears. The helical cut gears thrust washers are worn. Try knocking the transfer box into neutral and see if the noise goes or quietens.

Thrust bearings generally are quiet until you press the clutch, but if it's in gear can come and go when you press the clutch where a spigot bearing makes the noise when stationary.

You can usually figure out where a problem is by seeing where it isn't. Diagnosis.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPL4R View Post
    Usually the spigot bearing or bush in the flywheel makes a noise when in gear with the clutch pressed, the box isn't moving but the engine is.

If you can vary the noise by pressing the clutch pedal and it stops when you engage a gear, it's backlash in the layshaft and mainshaft gears or more usually the transfer box gears. The helical cut gears thrust washers are worn. Try knocking the transfer box into neutral and see if the noise goes or quietens.

Thrust bearings generally are quiet until you press the clutch, but if it's in gear can come and go when you press the clutch where a spigot bearing makes the noise when stationary.

You can usually figure out where a problem is by seeing where it isn't. Diagnosis.

Chris
    Thanks TEMPL4R I will give that a go, however if I press the clutch down the noise goes, so how will I know if it makes a difference if I select a gear? Do you mean clutch down, select a gear, back to neutral then release clutch again to see it if makes a difference to the noise?

If I quickly stamp the clutch down approx 2'' then whip my foot off the noise will often go altogether or lessen considerably. Does that offer any help to diagnosis?

Thread Information