Thread: Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol 2005 model missfire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Exclamation Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol 2005 model missfire

Hi guys

Please help me try and solve this problem

I have a 2005 ford focus 1.6 petrol – this is the story:

In June the coil pack went (AA man confirmed this with diagnostics)– so I ordered a new one and fitted it – the car ran fine until just before Christmas, when it started to kangaroo, when cold/damp – and the engine light would come on and go off without any pattern at all.. sometimes it would be fine and then sometimes not..

I brought the replacement coil pack from Euro Car Parts, and rang them up and said that the coil pack was faulty – they sent me out a new one FOC... so i fitted that in and the problem went away for a week or so – and then exactly the same thing has come back – kangarooing again...

So i I then brought new plugs and leads – and have swapped over the leads(not done the plugs yet) – and that hasn’t changed anything?

I don’t really know what else to try? – any suggestions please?
    1979 Series 3 SWB 88" County Series
    2000 Africa Twin XRV 750 RD07A

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol 2005 model missfire

Have you not had it plugged into a code reader to see what faults are shown ? - if theyre obd2 system the readers can be bought off ebay for about £30 iirc , might save you time,money and effort to grab one for yourself or pay a local garage a £5 if friendly just to read the fault codes for you
    2002 td5 auto ES facelift - any advice i offer is as an enthusiast not a mechanic or an engineer despite what it says in my avatar.
    link to my work in progress thread Nanocom Evo2 Equipped

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi rovers

my son used to have a 2000 model 1.6 ford focus with a misfire tried everything you have but it turned out to be the mass fly wheel ripping chunks out of the fly wheel sensor due to it flexing and had to be replaced, hope this helps.

graham

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSKOOL View Post
    Have you not had it plugged into a code reader to see what faults are shown ? - if theyre obd2 system the readers can be bought off ebay for about £30 iirc , might save you time,money and effort to grab one for yourself or pay a local garage a £5 if friendly just to read the fault codes for you
    my son had a local mobile mechanic to look at it he pluged in a reader and said he thinks its either the cam sensor or flywheel sensor so got the mechanic to fit a new cam sensor but it was still the same so my son bought and fitted a flywheel sensor which worked better but not right then he removed it again and found it to have a chunk missing from it so took it back to where he bought it from and changed the car.

graham

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

yup sometimes it gets it spot on and others it leads you in the right direction , my local garage used to plug my cars in for nothing for me until a mate gave me a brand new obd2 scanner he never used - if anyone local ever wants to use it feel free to give me a shout
    2002 td5 auto ES facelift - any advice i offer is as an enthusiast not a mechanic or an engineer despite what it says in my avatar.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

so do these scanners do any car will it do for a d1 and or a citroen c2 ( my sons )

graham

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSKOOL View Post
    well the friendly AA man said a code that was linked to the coil(apparently the code related to a fault upto the coil pack(so from plugs,leads,coil pack))

when the coil went a second time the local "friendly" garage near me in london charged my £20 to say "its the coil - you need a new one".....

so i guess i need to get the proper code from the diagnostic reader and then go from there? -

its almost like its related to dampness getting in somehere? - but is not like a landrover engine.....to me its like a spaceship.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by cornish rattler View Post
    so do these scanners do any car will it do for a d1 and or a citroen c2 ( my sons )

graham

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The coil pack at the end of the head, a common fault, misfires and poor running. The plug gap is too wide or the leads are breaking down, so it takes the coil out.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPL4R View Post
    The coil pack at the end of the head, a common fault, misfires and poor running. The plug gap is too wide or the leads are breaking down, so it takes the coil out.

Chris
    tEMPLAR THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE - WHAT DOES "The coil pack at the end of the head" MEAN? - I THINK ILL WHIPE THE OLD PLUGS OUT AND FIT NEW ONES AFTER CHECKING THE GAPS... IVE ALREADY CHANGED THE LEADS... AND THE COILPACK(BOSCH) NOW TWICE.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

OK update:

well ive now changed:

plugs
    leads
    coil pack (twice)

and still the fault is there...

now i suspect its the fuel filter............which could be blocked

but ive given up so giving it to a friendly mechanic to sort as the Mrs needs the car this weekend... urrgghh...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Other thing to check is an air leak on the breather pipes. Some engines have a pipe at the back of the engine that comes over the flywheel and under the coil. They collapse and split where they join the block.

If it hasn't had a fuel filter it won't hurt, but they generally come up with an EML and lack power at higher revs when there is a fuel demand.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

thanks Templar - the EML is on and the problem happens under load(taking off from traffic lights) - or if you floor it... which may explain when fuel is in demand..

ill have a look at the breather, but pretty usre its more than that..

thanks..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

What code does it throw up, that is usually a good indicator.

A Lambda working out of limit is a common one on BMWs when the filter is blocking.

Chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ok FINAL UPDATE ON HERE - AND ITS WORTH IT FOR FORD FOCUS OWNERS:

THE WIRING LOOM COMMING FROM THE ECU TO THE COIL PACK IS SLIGHLTY UNDER TENSION AS FORD DESIGNED IT TOO SHORT... SO THE WIRING DOES A SHAPR TURN BEFORE THE PLUG CONNECTS TO THE COIL PACK.. ON THIS TURN THE WIRES GET BRITTLE WITH AGE AND HAS CAUSED ONE HT WIRE TO CRACK (TINY) - THIS MAKES AN INTERMITTANT MISSFIRE AND HAS BEEN THE CAUSE OF ALL OF MY TROUBLES... FORD KNOWS AOBUT THE FAULT, BUT WONY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT - THE PLUG AND SECTION AND WIRE IS NOT SOLD SEPERATLY - SO A NEW SECTION OF WIRE WAS SOLDERED IN AND SHRINK WRAPPED...

SOO...... AFTER ALL THAT I AM RELIEVED ITS ALL OVER AND THE BILL WASNT TOO BAD EITHER..

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP....

Thread Information