Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Locking Problem

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Central Locking Problem

My wife has a 1996 300tdi Discovery which for some reason the central locking is not working. I checked every fuse which were fine. I was told the central locking uses the same Fuse as the electric windows which all work perfectly..
    So I changed the Central Locking Motor thinking that the drivers door could be the Master for the others, so I used another I have on another Discovery (exactly the same year etc) which is a working one with no change.

What happens? You put the key in the door, only the drivers door will open you need to lift the buttons on the other doors to open them. On locking push all the other buttons down before locking the drivers door with the key which then triggers the indicator and sets the alarm...

Any help will be most welcome

I have wondered if there is a ECU just for the central locking that has packed up? I hate electrical problems

Thanks
    Daz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Central Locking Problem

Hi Daz and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any key fobs or do you just use the key in the door lock?

I gather none of the lock actuators are working even if the drivers door button is pushed down or pulled up?

Depending on the vehicle build year (October till September) determines which fuses but in any cases of factory fitted alarms (10AS) with 2 button key fobs the alarm ECU controls the central locking.

Build year can be identified by the 2 year letters in your case before 6 digit at the end of the chassis / VIN number some thing like this SALLJGMF7XX123456
    XX
    being year code(A=Solihull)
    WA=1998
    VA=
    TA=
    MA=

Not all the fuses are applicable to all model years or equipment level but if all the following are good then the fault is in the Alarm ECU or wiring.

Check fuse F4 Engine Bay Fuse Box
    Check fuse F14 Fascia Fuse Box
    Check fuses F1, F2, F3, F5 Satellite Fuse Box 1
    Check fuse F3, F6 Satellite Fuse Box 2

John
    Current
    1997 WA Discovery 300tdi 5 door GS
    Previously owned
    Discovery 200tdi
    Defender 90 CSW
    Defender 90 HT
    109 III 2 1/4 Petrol
    88 IIA Petrol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by John_P View Post
    Hi Daz and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome mate, I was only told about this Forum last night as I was on another Landy Zone which I personally don't think is as good.
    Do you have any key fobs or do you just use the key in the door lock?

We have the key and a fob which only has the one quiet big button almost in an oval shape..
    I gather none of the lock actuators are working even if the drivers door button is pushed down or pulled up?

Thats right mate none of them are working at all if you press the drivers button down or pulled up.
    Depending on the vehicle build year (October till September) determines which fuses but in any cases of factory fitted alarms (10AS) with 2 button key fobs the alarm ECU controls the central locking.

Build year can be identified by the 2 year letters in your case before 6 digit at the end of the chassis / VIN number some thing like this SALLJGMF7XX123456
    XX
    being year code(A=Solihull)
    WA=1998
    VA=
    TA=
    MA=

Ours ends with MA so 1995
    Not all the fuses are applicable to all model years or equipment level but if all the following are good then the fault is in the Alarm ECU or wiring.

You saying about an alarm fault if I have opened the door and pressed this key fob button the alarm siren almost sounds like its being strangled lmao.... so not sure if that is relevent or not.
    Check fuse F4 Engine Bay Fuse Box

If this is the fuse for the hazard warning lights plus horn they both work

Check fuse F14 Fascia Fuse Box
    If this fuse is for the instruments, clock they work too.
    Check fuses F1, F2, F3, F5 Satellite Fuse Box 1
    Check fuse F3, F6 Satellite Fuse Box 2

Satelite Fusebox 1 & 2, are they the smaller boxes with 6 fuses in? if so is 1 at the top and 2 at the bottom of the main fusebox?
    John
    Thank you for your help on this mate, I have been ready to pull my hair out with it lol

Thanks Again
    Daz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Satellite fuse boxes are 2 on top and 1 below.
    1995 Discovery 3.9 V8 ES with LPG

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Sorry should have confirmed that on cars with one button fob ecu is for alarm and cental locking. The ecu is ringed in the pic.

discoveryI-1993-late-ecu.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loo-knee View Post
    Ours ends with MA so 1995
    I'm a bit surprised at that date MA were built October 1994 until September 1995 and your was registered in 1996 didn't think they stood around in fields back then .

Quote Originally Posted by Loo-knee View Post
    We have the key and a fob which only has the one quiet big button almost in an oval shape.
    That's another surprise as I had always thought the 10AS alarm / central locking unit was introduced for the full year run.
    The main reason I was interested in the build year was because there are some major changes to the electrics year on year 1993-1995 then more subtle changes 1995-1998

You don't have the later 2 button 10as alarm so your central locking is controlled by the drivers master actuator as you originally had been told and because its an earlier wiring harness does not have the same fuse layout.

So check Main Fuse 1 (100A) and MF3 (60A) but if any of those had gone you would have multiple circuits down and as you say electric windows work it rules them out.

F4 (15A) Satellite Fuse Box 2 is the central locking fuse on a 95 and does not feed any other circuit.

Circuit is very simple contained within the master with only the 2 wire controlling the other actuators / motors normally very robust.

If the fuse is ok then check the Brown / Pink wire at the drivers door master controller for +12V, also check the black earth / ground wire for a good connection.

John

PS if its an overseas vehicle like a re import of a Japanese vehicle then the wiring is different again and may have an ecu.
    Current
    1997 WA Discovery 300tdi 5 door GS
    Previously owned
    Discovery 200tdi
    Defender 90 CSW
    Defender 90 HT
    109 III 2 1/4 Petrol
    88 IIA Petrol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have a 95 Disco with the 17VT ECU (one button fob). It would seem that the earlier of the 95 run had them but they are 433mhz instead of 418. Part no AMR2109 rather than AMR2106.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by John_P View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at that date MA were built October 1994 until September 1995 and your was registered in 1996 didn't think they stood around in fields back then .

That's another surprise as I had always thought the 10AS alarm / central locking unit was introduced for the full year run.
    The main reason I was interested in the build year was because there are some major changes to the electrics year on year 1993-1995 then more subtle changes 1995-1998

You don't have the later 2 button 10as alarm so your central locking is controlled by the drivers master actuator as you originally had been told and because its an earlier wiring harness does not have the same fuse layout.

So check Main Fuse 1 (100A) and MF3 (60A) but if any of those had gone you would have multiple circuits down and as you say electric windows work it rules them out.

F4 (15A) Satellite Fuse Box 2 is the central locking fuse on a 95 and does not feed any other circuit.

Circuit is very simple contained within the master with only the 2 wire controlling the other actuators / motors normally very robust.

If the fuse is ok then check the Brown / Pink wire at the drivers door master controller for +12V, also check the black earth / ground wire for a good connection.

John

PS if its an overseas vehicle like a re import of a Japanese vehicle then the wiring is different again and may have an ecu.
    I have checked the 15amp fuse in Satelite 2 which is fine, so it looks like I need to check this 12volt at the controller. Are we talking about the same thing when you say controller? you mean the central locking motor that has a plunger on it? or the rear of the handle with a micro switch?

The other thing is the car is a 1995 not 1996 checked on the logbook

Thanks again
    Daz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

As John_P says - Check the brown/pink wire going into the locking actuator (the one you describe as "has a plunger". There should be 12 volts going to it. Earths are a perennial problem on Land Rovers it seems.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peterdon View Post
    As John_P says - Check the brown/pink wire going into the locking actuator (the one you describe as "has a plunger". There should be 12 volts going to it. Earths are a perennial problem on Land Rovers it seems.

Will do, bloody hate wiring sooner walk up Everest lmao...

Thanks for all your help though guys I really appreciate it

Daz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You could try a different actuator if you can borrow a known working one from someone, you need the four wire one. Apparently these work http://www.maplin.co.uk/door-lock-mo...rdercode=YD78K and are relatively easy to fit if you have to buy one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peterdon View Post
    You could try a different actuator if you can borrow a known working one from someone, you need the four wire one. Apparently these work http://www.maplin.co.uk/door-lock-mo...rdercode=YD78K and are relatively easy to fit if you have to buy one.
    I have fitted a known good one mate out of my other Disco I have for spares and it does exactly the same
    Thanks though
    Daz

Hi,just bought my first land rover,1997 discovery.I have similar issues with my central locking.When I operate it,the doors all lock then unlock but the alarm arms.just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Muddler 152, this suggests one of your doors/bonnet are not shutting correctly, check the switch under the bonnet, this can be easily broken and will give the symptoms you have, check the interior light switches in all doors are working correctly.
    Series 2a Disco 300TDi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

No suggestion at all, there will be an indication of a mis=lock as any disco owner knows.

It's "bounce back"pure and simple, the master acutuator in the drivers door requries a slight adjustment.
    Undo the 4 screws of the mounting plate and move the plate whilst using the remote to get the exact position for the plate 1, 2 or 3mm thats all, then do up the screws.
    1997 Discovery ES V8 auto.
    Previously for 10 years: 1987 Range Rover Vogue Efi auto.
    Previously for 2 years 1985 TVR 350i manual.

USE LOGIC ON DIFFICULT JOBS - Get someone else to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information