Thread: 300tdi vacuum pump or exhaust manifold gasket noise

Default 300tdi vacuum pump or exhaust manifold gasket noise

Hi all.
    I have a 1998 disco 1 300tdi auto. Just over 230000km on the clock. I'm hearing a tapping noise under the bonnet that increases with revs. My thoughts are that its either the vacuum pump or the exhaust manifold gasket. Hopefully not the head gasket. My problem is I cant tell exactly where the noise is coming from. Any tips on how to source the sound? I'm not keen on the vacuum pump failing on me if that is indeed the problem!

Default Re: 300tdi vacuum pump or exhaust manifold gasket noise

I have just changed the brake vacuum pump on my 300 TDI. i had a tapping noise that increased with revs and seemed to disappear at idle. Tappets checked, injectors cleaned and the noise was still there. I then changed the vacuum pump (it was also showing signs of leaking between the split line where the rivets weaken) and the noise has now gone. I have still got to change the manifold gasket as there is oil leaking from it but the vac pump cured the noise. Cheapest new one I could find was on e-bay for 59.99.

I've also just noticed that the rocker cover gasket is leaking some oil. Would this cause a tapping sound?

My rocker cover gasket is leaking (after several attempts to seal it!!!) but the tapping disappeared after the vacuum pump change, the leak is still there.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

i had this , went down the route of lift pump gaskets and brake servo . and it turned out to be a snapped rocker shaft . . same symptom but the noise got progressivly worse very quickly . you could also hear it blowing back through the air intake . alan

Interesting. The noise has been pretty constant for the last month or so. Is there any way to test if its the vacuum pump without actually removing it? I've got a mate revving the engine while I try listen under the bonnet with a long screw driver but the tapping is only really noticeable when driving.

Thread Information