Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318
Results 4,756 to 4,767 of 4767

Thread: What did you do to your Series today?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Realised a couple of weeks ago that the rear reinforcement panel on the tailboard I bought was actually zintec rather than galvanised. It wasn't rusting in any way and would probably have been fine for a long time even without paint but I found out John Craddocks had some NOS galvanised ones in stock. Bought and fitted. It had a twist in it, probably from the galvanising process but it pulled nice and straight with the rivets and fixings.

'Gertrude' - 1981 Series 3 88" 2.25 Diesel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What did you do to your Series today?

nice ! i was pondering this a few days ago, the ribs on the tail board seeme to be riveted rails on earlier vehicles, but as your picture changed to the actual metal having raised pressings in it
    Drives: 1982 series 3 88" station wagon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdave View Post
    It's usually possible to get the grease gun on the nipples by turning the prop so that the yokes are at their most open position (jack one wheel up so you can turn the prop). If this fails you need a grease gun with a slimmer nozzle. David

or drop that end of the prop right off the tx box (or axle) and articulate the joint right out the way

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
    nice ! i was pondering this a few days ago, the ribs on the tail board seeme to be riveted rails on earlier vehicles, but as your picture changed to the actual metal having raised pressings in it
    I was informed that Series 3s had the pressed type whist Series 2s had the riveted rails. Not sure when the changeover date was - S2A era or S3 - perhaps sineone csn confirm. The older type do seem a bit more sturdy as you might expect. I had the opportunity to buy a good one at Newbury autojumble a couple of months ago but after some chin scratching, opted for the correct S3 type.

'Gertrude' - 1981 Series 3 88" 2.25 Diesel

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yeah, I had that idea, just got to motivate myself to drop the prop. New grease gun on order, old one was leaking grease past the compression piston in the handle. Should be here on Monday - try again then. Perhaps the nozzle is smaller. Thanks for the advice.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Land Raver View Post
    I was informed that Series 3s had the pressed type whist Series 2s had the riveted rails. Not sure when the changeover date was - S2A era or S3 - perhaps sineone csn confirm. The older type do seem a bit more sturdy as you might expect. I had the opportunity to buy a good one at Newbury autojumble a couple of months ago but after some chin scratching, opted for the correct S3 type.
    According to the chassis number of my S3 it is one of the first 1000 made, in 1982 - it has riveted tailgate strips and I believe it is the original.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Had a heart stopping moment at lunchtime. I had taken the S2 to the sailing club with a 15 foot flat bed trailer to pick up a load of scrap timber. I got half way back through the lanes when it suddenly lost power and coasted to a halt right on a blind double bend where the 30mph limit starts.

Panic!

I had been fidgeting around on the 'new' seats to get comfortable over all the pot holes - luckily I spotted my knee must have knocked the electric fuel pump switch off which is low down to the left of the steering column. I was lucky to get it running again before anyone came round the bends.

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Changed the clutch slave cylinder and pipe, the slow leak had become a not slow one. What a pig to get to. As it was raining i decided to do the whole job from above by taking the floor and tunnel out, made bleeding a lot easier. Really needs a captive nut plate, would half the time.
    Landrover Series, turning a journey into a recovery

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Continuing the refitting radiator saga, I thought I'd check the condition of the thermostat. Opened up the thermostat housing to find there wasnt one in there. Fortunately, I'd already ordered a replacement complete with the gasket kit so I have stripped down the whole thing and wire brushed years of crap and the remnants of the long since departed gaskets and what looked like bathroom sealant! Class. Question is - do I engine enamel the housing before refitting? Thoughts?

Replaced the nylon bush at the bottom of the gear selector lever (old one was completely missing - must have disintegrated and fallen off as there was no trace of it). This is a feature of later SIIIs and is not the same as the earlier "round ball with rubber O-ring" arrangement. Not easy to find a bush with the right dimensions as it needs a big enough internal diameter to be able to fit over the flange at the end of the stick, but not so big that it flops around once it's in place. In the end I used a piece of nylon spacer with ID of 12.8mm, OD of 18mm and cut to the required 9mm length, but slipped a section of rubber tube over the end too, to take up the slack between the shaft and the new nylon washer once it was over the flange. Held the gear stick upside-down in the vice, one quick tap with the rubber mallet and the new bush was in place. It's vastly improved the gearchange, which has been pretty terrible since I bought the car last October - quite embarrassing to be stuck trying to find a gear (any gear) at busy junctions! I'll see how long it lasts but I don't do big miles so hopefully some years.

Also started to fit parts of the sound insulation kit I bought recently: just the easy ones so far - luggage area floor and driver/passenger footwells. Too early to notice any difference, but this is going to be a long job as I know I need to change the bonnet and doors soon, so no point sticking anything onto those panels yet.

Refitted the speedo cable to the back of the gauge but for some reason it's still not working - I'm sure it's engaged properly at the dashboard end so wondering if I've managed to somehow pull the inner cable free at the gearbox end with all the faffing about I've been doing recently...sigh. One good thing is I discovered a tip in an old post here about freeing up the steering wheel without using a puller. Basically loosening off the nut then drumming furiously on alternate wheel spokes like some sort of demented King Kong (and making monkey noises definitely helps the process). Came free in seconds!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swordcollector1 View Post
    Replaced the nylon bush at the bottom of the gear selector lever (old one was completely missing - must have disintegrated and fallen off as there was no trace of it). This is a feature of later SIIIs and is not the same as the earlier "round ball with rubber O-ring" arrangement. Not easy to find a bush with the right dimensions as it needs a big enough internal diameter to be able to fit over the flange at the end of the stick, but not so big that it flops around once it's in place. In the end I used a piece of nylon spacer with ID of 12.8mm, OD of 18mm and cut to the required 9mm length, but slipped a section of rubber tube over the end too, to take up the slack between the shaft and the new nylon washer once it was over the flange. Held the gear stick upside-down in the vice, one quick tap with the rubber mallet and the new bush was in place. It's vastly improved the gearchange, which has been pretty terrible since I bought the car last October - quite embarrassing to be stuck trying to find a gear (any gear) at busy junctions! I'll see how long it lasts but I don't do big miles so hopefully some years.

Also started to fit parts of the sound insulation kit I bought recently: just the easy ones so far - luggage area floor and driver/passenger footwells. Too early to notice any difference, but this is going to be a long job as I know I need to change the bonnet and doors soon, so no point sticking anything onto those panels yet.

Refitted the speedo cable to the back of the gauge but for some reason it's still not working - I'm sure it's engaged properly at the dashboard end so wondering if I've managed to somehow pull the inner cable free at the gearbox end with all the faffing about I've been doing recently...sigh. One good thing is I discovered a tip in an old post here about freeing up the steering wheel without using a puller. Basically loosening off the nut then drumming furiously on alternate wheel spokes like some sort of demented King Kong (and making monkey noises definitely helps the process). Came free in seconds!
    i was thinking about that, wondering if some deftly chosen nylon tube + boiling water would make it slip over the end and remain its original size/tightness

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
    i was thinking about that, wondering if some deftly chosen nylon tube + boiling water would make it slip over the end and remain its original size/tightness
    I did a bit of research into Nylon 66 (the type most commonly used for car parts), and got some surprising factoids. Its melting point is 268 deg C, and I couldn't get boiling water at a mere 100 deg C to make much impact on it. Also it is supplied "dry" (very low moisture content), and absorbs water from the air once exposed. Some web pages I read actually suggest freezing nylon to make it expand (water molecules expanding when frozen), which is really counter-intuitive! In the end I just chose my sizes carefully and used Special Land Rover Tool No. 1 - it was my first attempt, which was a bit disappointing in some ways as I'd bought several different kinds of spacer and was looking forward to a good "junior scientist" afternoon in the garage!

Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318

Thread Information