Thread: freelander auto fluid can i use this cheaper than n402

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default freelander auto fluid can i use this cheaper than n402

want to change fluid texaco n402 about £50 for 5 ltrs . this is only £25 but will it be ok

Carlube
    Introducing some new addition to the Carlube Transmission Oils range – ATF-U Automatic Transmission Fluid 500ml, 4.55L & 199L. To complement the extensive range of Carlube gear oils and transmission fluids currently available.
    Carlube ATF-U is a fully synthetic fluid offering advanced lubrication protection for automatic transmissions and power steering units.

be ATF-U is suitable for use in a wide
    range of vehicles and is especially suitable for winter use and for cold starting where ‘shift sticking’ can occur.
    Specifications - GM Dexron VI; Ford Mercon V / Mercon SP; Ford M2C- 202-B; MB 236.6, 236.7, 236.9, 236.10; BMW 7045E; LT71141; Toyota T-II, T-IV, WS; Mitsubishi/Hyundai SPII,SPIII; Chrysler ATF, ATF 3+,ATF 4+; Honda Z-1; Nissan Matic D,J,K; JWS 3309; Volvo 1161540/97341; VW/Audi G-055-025-AZ; Subaru ATF; Texaco N402

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: freelander auto fluid can i use this cheaper than n402

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybryn69 View Post
    want to change fluid texaco n402 about £50 for 5 ltrs . this is only £25 but will it be ok

Carlube
    Introducing some new addition to the Carlube Transmission Oils range – ATF-U Automatic Transmission Fluid 500ml, 4.55L & 199L. To complement the extensive range of Carlube gear oils and transmission fluids currently available.
    Carlube ATF-U is a fully synthetic fluid offering advanced lubrication protection for automatic transmissions and power steering units.

be ATF-U is suitable for use in a wide

range of vehicles and is especially suitable for winter use and for cold starting where ‘shift sticking’ can occur.
    Specifications - GM Dexron VI; Ford Mercon V / Mercon SP; Ford M2C- 202-B; MB 236.6, 236.7, 236.9, 236.10; BMW 7045E; LT71141; Toyota T-II, T-IV, WS; Mitsubishi/Hyundai SPII,SPIII; Chrysler ATF, ATF 3+,ATF 4+; Honda Z-1; Nissan Matic D,J,K; JWS 3309; Volvo 1161540/97341; VW/Audi G-055-025-AZ; Subaru ATF; Texaco N402

Well on the face of it and per advertised claim it would seem it covers the specification.
    I didn't see Mazda nor Jaguar X type pass off for the Jatco application but Texaco and VW is there which uses the same box.

Just remember the quality of the fluid is dependent upon the blender and the price will often reflect the quality. That stated oils and fluids are often blended and packaged by the same company.
    For example:-
    On this side Ashland Oils is the maker/blender of the famous Valvoline brand.
    You can buy the exact same oil in an auto parts store bottle/jug bearing their "in house" brand for about 30% cheaper. You have to look at the small print on the back of the container in the small print to determine who ACTUALLY made/blended it. So in short, you are probably paying extra to simply hold and use the exact same oil in a bottle that you are going to throw into the trash once empty.
    My advise is do some homework on the product before using it.
    Lastly if you are going to service your own Freelander/Jatco transmission get familar with the procedure and which drain/level plugs to open and a suitable flexy filler to get oil in the box afterwards.
    Dennis
    zedcars

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

It does state Texaco N402 specification in their link below..

http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?page=112

Let me know if it works and I may try it myself!
    Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Guys here's a filling tip.
    This I suppose really relates to a "full fill" from dry but it has merit when you may have pulled a shaft, 4wd unit or similar and fluid has been lost like a change .

Recently I had a Freelander /Jatco come into the shop with a growl from the transmission and a flare on 2-3 upshift when cold. The noise came and went depending upon temperature being worse when hot--(or at working temperature) and the flare was detectable. The customer had done his own servicing and was worried about the growl more than anything else.

I drove the car for 24 hours to evaluate it --yes symptoms confirmed. I also confirmed he had used the LR dealer fluid.

We did a cold level check--yes level was low. We topped it up, 2 Qts low!
    A cold test revealed no flare and the growl was gone!

This noise was aeration of the fluid medium much like a power steer system low on fluid.

Yesterday we did a fill after the power pack had been removed. It was filled, I supervised the operation !
    I went out on test worked great !
    I parked it and came back to the car next day to drive it up the street and do a final before delivery.
    It flared for a second on 2-3 upshift.

I immediatly re-checked the fluid--- a qt low!

I think it is easy to get this transmission level incorrect.
    Obviously when in service there is some additional filling of cavities in some cases which drops the level during the initial re-instatement to service.
    We have consequently instituted a shop policy of doing a cold re-check of levels to make sure the transmission has the correct level. From recent experiences it is very easy to get this wrong and do permanent damage to the clutch packs which may not show up until later with a full failure.
    Dennis
    zedcars

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Carlube ATF-U is suitable for use in a wide range of vehicles and is especially suitable for winter use and for cold starting where ‘shift sticking’ can occur.
    changed the auto fluid used the carlube atf u .no problems nice gear change .n402 atf u.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I'd be very interested to know how much fluid you drained from your auto box and how much you replaced?
    I believe the unit holds around 8 litres, but that you can only ever drain off around half, as the torque converter retains the remainder.
    As they supply ATF-U in 4.55 litre containers, I was wondering if you can replace 4.55 litres in one go?

Thanks for the update

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

hi only put in 4 litres thats all that came out approx .took the freelander for a ten minute drive first then drained fluid about 3 and half litres came out then got my mate to start up the freelander and shift the gears park neutral drive 4 2 1,
    then back to park then turned off freelander and the other half of litre came out . put the drain plug back in and filled up with 4 litres all ok

I'd be very interested to know how much fluid you drained from your auto box and how much you replaced?
    I believe the unit holds around 8 litres, but that you can only ever drain off around half, as the torque converter retains the remainder.
    As they supply ATF-U in 4.55 litre containers, I was wondering if you can replace 4.55 litres in one go?

Thanks for the update [/QUOTE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I also plan to do this soon.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

If anyone else is interested, I bought a 4.55Ltr tub of Carlube ATF-U from Euro Car Parts yesterday for £21.

It's £28 on their website, but if you use the discount code WINTER25, the price will be reduced by 25% to £21. Also, free delivery

I think it's a very good deal.

Link below..

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...0850&0&cc5_869

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd update this thread, I drained a total of 4.5 litres of warm red translucent fluid, topped up with the 4.55 litre tub of Carlube ATF-U mentioned earlier.

All good, smooth gear changes and easy selection, appears to be excellent value for money, and well worth while.

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Bit of a thread resurrection , but how is it going since the change ? It is important by the way that you change at the specified temp and also check at that temp as well to get the right running level HTSH
    1986 110 CSW TD6
    1992 90 300Tdi Auto
    1999 Range Rover dse auto
    2001 freelander td4 Auto

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I have used the carlube U (full synthetic) as well now for this particular freelander , as am not certain that all the problems will be fixed by the solenoid that I have just replaced with a new one (gen LR part) . The other Freelander I have needs the same solenoid I think but will probably use Redline D4 atf for that ( £14 a us quart 946cc)
    1986 110 CSW TD6
    1992 90 300Tdi Auto
    1999 Range Rover dse auto
    2001 freelander td4 Auto

Thread Information