Thread: Ply lining

Default Ply lining

Some time ago I posted a tread re-ply lining my TD5 defender and I received some usefull replys with some DIY suggestions. I have not plucked up courage to have a go myself. Does anybody know if there are any ready made kits availble for DIY fitting or if there is a company that will ply line the 90 for me. I have serched the internet for the normall Van ply lining companies but all I have contacted say they do not ply line landrovers.
    It is a new defender so I would like to do a realy good job. Idealy I would like to line the sides with ply and cover with some sort of basic grey carpet. Any Ideas?

Default Re: Ply lining

you need to find a good carpenter mate

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Ply lining

Well what I did was go to the local plywood shop and get a nice big 8ftx4ft sheet of plywood. I then measured and jigsawed 2 pieces out of it, 1 for each side. I fixed the plywood to the sides by making some brackets out of some steel and using the bolts that bolt the roof to the van sides to hold the brackets at the top, and used the holes in the channel just under the van sides on the inside to hold the bottom brackets. Then used self tappers to attach the plywood to the brackets. I this of course left me with a gap between the ply and the van sides, so I stuffed that gap with felt/foam/old sweaters etc etc. Nice and quiet now. No drumming.

I haven't got round to covering the ply with some basic carpet, but all that would need doing is to buy a bit of material, cut it to length and stick it to the ply with some carpet adhesive or similar.

I decided to go with brackets rather than using contact adhesive to fix the ply to the van sides just in case, for whatever reason, I want to remove them. Like this, just a few bolts and self tappers and I'm back to drumming hell! A;so, they're less likely to fall off this way.

Go on, do it yourself instead of paying someone to do it
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself

Dennis

1995 Defender 90 TDi300 County
    2007 Yamaha Dragstar 1100 Classic

Thread Information