Thread: P38 EAS problems

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default P38 EAS problems

Hi everyone, be patient with me because a) I'm a woman & b) although I understand the basics of cars I'm not a mechanic but my Dad is but he's 76 & losing the plot a bit!

We both have '96 P38's & his 4.6 has a problem with the air suspension, it was stuck on the stops & he replaced the rear air bags, initially it did inflate but then blew off the bottom seating on one of the new (Britax) bags, since then he can't get any pressure to inflate the bags, the warning light goes off & he hasn't had any fault codes, he's pressure fed from the mains. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: P38 EAS problems

Quote Originally Posted by NickiB View Post
    Hi everyone, be patient with me because a) I'm a woman & b) although I understand the basics of cars I'm not a mechanic but my Dad is but he's 76 & losing the plot a bit!

We both have '96 P38's & his 4.6 has a problem with the air suspension, it was stuck on the stops & he replaced the rear air bags, initially it did inflate but then blew off the bottom seating on one of the new (Britax) bags, since then he can't get any pressure to inflate the bags, the warning light goes off & he hasn't had any fault codes, he's pressure fed from the mains. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
    NickiB
    Hi to you in Evesham a few miles up the road from my old stomping grounds! (Gloucester)
    Also two thumbs up to your dad for having a bash!

A couple of questions,
    a) Are the four warning lights flashing on the ride height control rocker switch?
    If so its an indication that the system has locked out electronically, and that fault will need to be cleared before you can do anything to get activity.

B) Assuming the four little lights are not flashing, can you hear any audible loss of air where the air spring blew off as it may not be seated and since these compressor is a puny state of affairs! It also does not have any guts even when new to inflate the air tank/reservoir on the frame and seat the bead on the bag perch. Sometimes some soapy water applied to the bag bead might help.

I get the inclination that you have some shop compressed air available?????
    If so are you charging the system into the right area?
    If you look forward from the compressor housing towards the front left side of the engine you will observe a round bomb like container 3" in diameter & 7 inches long with two black plastic 3/8 the air lines push plugged into the top and bottom.

By pushing down the ferrule you can pull out the hose. This upper hose is the feed to the reservoir from the compressor.
    Find a suitable shop air line blow gun that will snugly push into the hose and pre- charge the tank .
    While doing that fire up the car and take off the top cover of the compressor--it should be whirring away!

No whirring--its locked out and needs a scan to reset it or its most likely taken a dump!

Try those things first, maybe I can help you some more if you cannot get activity.
    Cheers Dennis
    zedcars

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: P38 EAS problems

Quote Originally Posted by zedcars View Post
    NickiB
    Hi to you in Evesham a few miles up the road from my old stomping grounds! (Gloucester)
    Also two thumbs up to your dad for having a bash!

A couple of questions,
    a) Are the four warning lights flashing on the ride height control rocker switch?
    If so its an indication that the system has locked out electronically, and that fault will need to be cleared before you can do anything to get activity.

B) Assuming the four little lights are not flashing, can you hear any audible loss of air where the air spring blew off as it may not be seated and since these compressor is a puny state of affairs! It also does not have any guts even when new to inflate the air tank/reservoir on the frame and seat the bead on the bag perch. Sometimes some soapy water applied to the bag bead might help.

I get the inclination that you have some shop compressed air available?????
    If so are you charging the system into the right area?
    If you look forward from the compressor housing towards the front left side of the engine you will observe a round bomb like container 3" in diameter & 7 inches long with two black plastic 3/8 the air lines push plugged into the top and bottom.

By pushing down the ferrule you can pull out the hose. This upper hose is the feed to the reservoir from the compressor.
    Find a suitable shop air line blow gun that will snugly push into the hose and pre- charge the tank .
    While doing that fire up the car and take off the top cover of the compressor--it should be whirring away!

No whirring--its locked out and needs a scan to reset it or its most likely taken a dump!

Try those things first, maybe I can help you some more if you cannot get activity.
    Cheers Dennis
    zedcars
    Hi Dennis

Yes not far from Gloucester!

Thanks for all that info, I'll print it off & give it to Dad in the morning & then let you know what he has & hasn't done

Cheers
    Nicki

Thread Information