Thread: Measuring wheel width / offset

Question Measuring wheel width / offset

There's lots of info on tyre sizes, but wheel sizes seem more difficult to fathom.

I seem to have inherited a motley collection of wheels with my new SIII lightweight: one is stamped with a width of 5.5, the spare is stamped 5 and the rest are unmarked. I want to measure them all: do I measure to the outsides of the rims or the insides?

Similarly where do I measure between to get the offset? I will be needing some new tyres this year and I'd like to plan for a wheel/tyre combination that (a) has a bigger rolling radius without reducing my steering lock and (b) can accomodate a future u/g to more extreme suspension.

Can anyone give me a definitive list of wheel widths and offsets for the various Landy offerings that could go on my lightweight (std l/weight, SIII swb, SIII lwb, 101, wolf, Defender) and the commonplace oem fitments (8-spoke and modular)?

Final question: is there a difference in the rims for a tubed or tubeless tyre and if so how can I tell which my rims are designed for (assuming there is nothing stamped on the wheels)?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Measuring wheel width / offset

Rim width is measured between the inside faces of the rim.
    Measure the offset by laying a straight edge across the back of the rim then measure the depth to the back of the hub mounting face. Smaller measurement= greater offset.
    All SWB/Lightweight rims should be 5"
    All LWB, 90/110 and Defender should be 5.5"
    Wolf and 1Tonne should be 6.5" with more offset than a LWB rim.
    2B FC=6.5" +1/2" more offset than a Wolf rim.

I have sets of all the above rims, and could measure them if you want.

Tubed rims will have the centres rivetted into the rim with 4 groups of 3 rivets. Also the bead seat will be flat.
    Tubeless rims should have the centres welded into the rim, and the bead seat will have a small hump just inboard of the rims edges. This is what makes a tyre "pop" onto a rim when inflating a newly fitted tyre.

Check the valve holes in the rims too. There are 2 different sizes.

swag

Quote Originally Posted by NGTC_Man
    There's lots of info on tyre sizes, but wheel sizes seem more difficult to fathom.

I seem to have inherited a motley collection of wheels with my new SIII lightweight: one is stamped with a width of 5.5, the spare is stamped 5 and the rest are unmarked. I want to measure them all: do I measure to the outsides of the rims or the insides?

Similarly where do I measure between to get the offset? I will be needing some new tyres this year and I'd like to plan for a wheel/tyre combination that (a) has a bigger rolling radius without reducing my steering lock and (b) can accomodate a future u/g to more extreme suspension.

Can anyone give me a definitive list of wheel widths and offsets for the various Landy offerings that could go on my lightweight (std l/weight, SIII swb, SIII lwb, 101, wolf, Defender) and the commonplace oem fitments (8-spoke and modular)?

Final question: is there a difference in the rims for a tubed or tubeless tyre and if so how can I tell which my rims are designed for (assuming there is nothing stamped on the wheels)?
    I found this site useful Tyre bible

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Here are some measurements.

SWB, Lightweight etc..5" wide, 5" backspacing
    LWB, 90/110....5.5" wide, 4.75" backspacing
    2A FC, Wolf, 1Tonne....6.5" wide, 4.5" backspacing
    2B FC....6.5" wide, 4" backspacing

Obviously the 2B rim has the greatest offset (smallest backspacing) but they're rare.
    1Tonne rims are the next best thing, and as seen in another thread, plentiful (Vass' near Bedford) and cheap at 20 each.
    The only tubeless rim in that list is the Wolf.

swag

Thanks Swag, that's very helpful.

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I was just measuring my D130 and wolf rims for the hell of it and though they are both 6.5" wide the backspacing is 4.5 for the wolf and 4.7 for the D130.

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Standard recent production Defender steel rims are also tubeless. They should be stamped to that effect as well, so making identification simple.
    1960 Series 2 88"
    1965 Series 2a 88"
    2006 TD5 90 - Some people are beyond help!

Thread Information