Thread: TD5 ECU oil in loom

Default TD5 ECU oil in loom

I apologise if this has been covered numerous times, but I could only find threads where it is already causing problems and I am not used to engines with electrics.

A friend of mine has just bought a very early TD5 90 fter being jealous of my 110 and already has the land rover bug. The chassis on it is sound and in good condition and no rust that we have found yet, and everything else seems to be working as it should. However, as seems to be a common problem with the td5, there is oil in ecu plugs. It has been cleaned out, and will continue to be cleaned until the amount of oil in there reduces. Is the oil in the wiring loom a big problem?

At the moment it is not causing any problems with the running of the engine. Are there any common signs to look out for if it is starting to effect the running of the engine?

Is there any way to reduce/stop the oil ingress down the wiring loom, short of replacing the whole loom?

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: TD5 ECU oil in loom

The oil will continue to move through the loom until the problem is fixed. You only need to replace the injector loom in the rocker cover. I've read somewhere on the net that it's the O ring that fails and this can't be replaced via landrover parts however Cat do the same size O ring. I replaced my injector harness and it made one hell of a difference. At low rev / idle the engine used to cut out / stall as if I was in the wrong gear even in 1st low!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You can replace the injector harness, when I did mine the harness cost 42.00, this cured the fault I had straight away. Mine was 'missing' on one of the cylinders which I believe is the common indicator that you have a problem. I also cleaned out the plugs with electrical contact cleaner. I was advised at the time that this may not cure the oil in the loom fault, however I have had no problem since.

There are no problems with the engine running at the moment, just oil all over the under seat compartment and plugs, that is slowly being cleaned away. It seems the replacement loom is the cure, however, does it need to be done now, before there are problems, or is it just something to be aware of and replace as soon as a problem occurs?

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

It's not urgent just keep a check on oil level, but the quicker it's done the quicker your mate can stop cleaning up the oil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dag019 View Post
    There are no problems with the engine running at the moment, just oil all over the under seat compartment and plugs, that is slowly being cleaned away. It seems the replacement loom is the cure, however, does it need to be done now, before there are problems, or is it just something to be aware of and replace as soon as a problem occurs?
    I am surprised that oil has spread all over the compartment, if it is that bad then I would stop and get the ecu out, open it and check its clean. If you get oil in it (which you should notice before this happens) and it ******s the ecu then you are in for a 1200 replacement.

I should clarify it is not ll over, just a considerable amount on the floor of the compartment. But as there are no problems at the moment will wait am monitor it until the loom needs replacing.

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

If there's oil in the red plug... the loom needs replacing

Thread Information