Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: RF receiver

  1. #1
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default RF receiver

    Hi I am a new member joined just over a week ago and have been reading about battery drain which is what my newly aquired RR 4.6 petrol/LPG 2001 has got wrong with it.
    I have been reading blogs every day and have come to the conclusion that I need a new RF receiver (ywy500170) My question is dose anyone know a good place to buy one and of course at the cheapest price.

    If I get one I will be removing the case to make sure it's the new updated one.

    my thanks in advance

    Mark

  2. #2
    Mechanic
    Join Date
    22nd Oct 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    923
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Before spending the money, try disconnecting the aerial from the existing one. This will reduce the sensitivity of the receiver (so you'll need to hold the remote near the drivers side rear window to unlock the car) but may be enough to stop the receiver from keeping the BeCM awake. I assume you have confirmed that the BeCM is staying awake by watching the P light next to the gear lever?
    Formerly owned a '93 4.2 Classic LSE
    '98 4.0 ex-police P38, the everyday car
    '97 4.0SE P38, will be nice when it's finished
    All on LPG

    A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

  3. #3
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Hi Thanks for the reply
    I have done a drain test with a multimeter and when I lock the car it goes down to .08 then after 2 mins it drops to .03 for 20 secs then back up to .08 and this cycle keeps repeating.
    I have read about and will try disconnecting the aerial tomorrow but (is this a definite fix)?. I would prefer to spend the money and get rid of the problem once and for all.
    I do need to fix this before wednesday as a friend needs to buy my discovery and go to his fathers funeral and I need a reliable car to get me to work, so can't afford to wake up in the morning to a dead battery so I would really would prefer to buy the new part.

    Regards

    Mark

  4. #4
    Engineer catweazle's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st Feb 2010
    Location
    SW London.
    Posts
    1,866
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
    Hi Thanks for the reply
    I have done a drain test with a multimeter and when I lock the car it goes down to .08 then after 2 mins it drops to .03 for 20 secs then back up to .08 and this cycle keeps repeating.
    I have read about and will try disconnecting the aerial tomorrow but (is this a definite fix)?. I would prefer to spend the money and get rid of the problem once and for all.
    I do need to fix this before wednesday as a friend needs to buy my discovery and go to his fathers funeral and I need a reliable car to get me to work, so can't afford to wake up in the morning to a dead battery so I would really would prefer to buy the new part.

    Regards

    Mark
    I think they are near 200 now so you need to be sure,i would try the ariel first in fact i would disconect it altogether and use the key for a while,to prove it.There are many other reasons.

  5. #5
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Hi Catweazle I loved watching that program on a sunday morning.

    Ok I will disconnect the receiver all together and see if the BeCM stays asleep with the multimeter and will post results.

  6. #6
    Mechanic
    Join Date
    22nd Oct 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    923
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    If it is the receiver that is causing it to stay awake, I'd find and switch off the RF source that is keeping it awake. But that's what I do for a living so I have the kit to find it.
    Formerly owned a '93 4.2 Classic LSE
    '98 4.0 ex-police P38, the everyday car
    '97 4.0SE P38, will be nice when it's finished
    All on LPG

    A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

  7. #7
    Engineer catweazle's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st Feb 2010
    Location
    SW London.
    Posts
    1,866
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
    If it is the receiver that is causing it to stay awake, I'd find and switch off the RF source that is keeping it awake. But that's what I do for a living so I have the kit to find it.
    that would be fine for your own invironmet,but i dont think mrs brown next door would appreciate you disabling her wireless doorbell.weather station.Baby alarm.lol.

  8. #8
    Mechanic
    Join Date
    22nd Oct 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    923
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    All those things, and everything else that operates on 433 MHz, are only intended for momentary operation. When something goes faulty and stays on all the time, it isn't doing what it is intended to do as well as causing grief to everyone around it. I did one job where a car dealer called the office to say that they could not unlock any of the cars, new or secondhand, on their forecourt as well as customers cars that had been dropped off for service. A guy living opposite the garage had a parcel delivered that morning and his wireless doorbell had been ringing constantly ever since so he took the battery out of the receiver. The doorbell button was stuck in and transmitting a permanent signal which was causing the problem. If you know there is a problem, report it (Ofcom on 0207 981 3040).

    Anything that is working permanently shouldn't be and the momentary operation of something working as it should wouldn't be often enough to cause a problem. A quick blip from a weather station every 10 minutes isn't going to be often enough to cause a P38 battery to go flat overnight.
    Formerly owned a '93 4.2 Classic LSE
    '98 4.0 ex-police P38, the everyday car
    '97 4.0SE P38, will be nice when it's finished
    All on LPG

    A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

  9. #9
    Engineer catweazle's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st Feb 2010
    Location
    SW London.
    Posts
    1,866
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
    All those things, and everything else that operates on 433 MHz, are only intended for momentary operation. When something goes faulty and stays on all the time, it isn't doing what it is intended to do as well as causing grief to everyone around it. I did one job where a car dealer called the office to say that they could not unlock any of the cars, new or secondhand, on their forecourt as well as customers cars that had been dropped off for service. A guy living opposite the garage had a parcel delivered that morning and his wireless doorbell had been ringing constantly ever since so he took the battery out of the receiver. The doorbell button was stuck in and transmitting a permanent signal which was causing the problem. If you know there is a problem, report it (Ofcom on 0207 981 3040).

    Anything that is working permanently shouldn't be and the momentary operation of something working as it should wouldn't be often enough to cause a problem. A quick blip from a weather station every 10 minutes isn't going to be often enough to cause a P38 battery to go flat overnight.
    Its not the overnight problem we see so much,thats an internal BECM fault,its the 3 day event,
    Weather station blip 6 times an hour on average wakes the car up for 3 mins at about 1 amp.
    along with any othe influence.although other makers keys wont unlock the car they do wake it up,multi storey car parks.
    London airport complete nightmare.
    My middle workshop keeps them awake constantly,it tirned out to be the bldng alarm.
    We have one car lives next door to a large Hospital has had every updated reciever unit but still does it.

  10. #10
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Hi Guys

    Ok have taken off RF receiver and now car says engine disabled and won't start, put RF unit back on disconnect battery reconnect battery car starts,take RF unit off again car starts or it did last night, tried it again this morning and engine disabled again.

    Any ideas why this is happening.

    I am now going to try it with RF unit fitted but just with the aerial disconnected.

  11. #11
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Ok have taken what I think was a dead battery anyway out of my door bell checked battery drain and no change next unplugged my wifi which was only about 15 feet from my car and no change to battery drain next unplugged RF aerial and battery drain went down and stayed down so I think it is the RF receiver which I will replace on Tuesday with the updated receiver ywy500170 cheapest I can find where I can go and collect it is 238. hopefully this will sort the problem once and for all.

    I will post results for future reference for other members

  12. #12
    Mechanic
    Join Date
    22nd Oct 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    923
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Wi-fi won't have an effect as it operates on 2400-2483 MHz and not 433 MHz. The Land Rover receiver frequency is 433.92 MHz and the revised receiver has better selectivity but still isn't brilliant. It will still be woken up by a Vauxhall keyfob on 433.98 MHz for example, but won't be affected by something on 433.8 or 434.0 MHz for instance which is an improvement on the old one which would. The receivers in virtually all cars have pretty poor selectivity but they are made to a price. Unfortunately for us, the P38 system is one of the few that wakes up the cars electronics when it receives a signal rather than waiting to receive a signal with the correct code.
    Formerly owned a '93 4.2 Classic LSE
    '98 4.0 ex-police P38, the everyday car
    '97 4.0SE P38, will be nice when it's finished
    All on LPG

    A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

  13. #13
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
    Wi-fi won't have an effect as it operates on 2400-2483 MHz and not 433 MHz. The Land Rover receiver frequency is 433.92 MHz and the revised receiver has better selectivity but still isn't brilliant. It will still be woken up by a Vauxhall keyfob on 433.98 MHz for example, but won't be affected by something on 433.8 or 434.0 MHz for instance which is an improvement on the old one which would. The receivers in virtually all cars have pretty poor selectivity but they are made to a price. Unfortunately for us, the P38 system is one of the few that wakes up the cars electronics when it receives a signal rather than waiting to receive a signal with the correct code.
    Just thought I would try the wifi as another post on this site said that every time he turned this wifi off his battery was ok but as you say it had no effect didn't work for me.

    I was timing how long the battery drain was and it was 2 mins at .82 then down to .30 for 30 secs then back up again and so on and on and on, something must be permanently transmitting a RF signal for it to be almost to the second.

  14. #14
    Trainee
    Join Date
    3rd Apr 2013
    Location
    Amersham uk
    Posts
    21
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Ok fitted new Rf receiver and now seems all ok no more battery drain.

    Used car for first time yesterday and the first speed bump I went over the EAS fault came up on the dash so when i got home I reset it, firts little hole I hit fault came back but it seemed go on to it's high susspention setting then about 10 miles later I got a Violent shaking/ shudder of the hole car ( scared the living S**T out of me).

    Can any one tell me what the hell was happening I never had that happen on a car before ????????

  15. #15
    Mechanic
    Join Date
    22nd Oct 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    923
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Default Re: RF receiver

    Seems you've got an EAS fault too. You'll need to be able to read the fault codes to find out what but the fact that it started at a speed bump suggests a problem with one of the height sensors. You need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAS-Air-Su...item334e095668 to read and reset the EAS fault codes. No idea what the shuddering was though.
    Formerly owned a '93 4.2 Classic LSE
    '98 4.0 ex-police P38, the everyday car
    '97 4.0SE P38, will be nice when it's finished
    All on LPG

    A proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rf receiver, can I bypass it
    By Scott1103x in forum P38 forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd Mar 2011, 07:17
  2. USB GPS Receiver
    By myers in forum GPS/Navigation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th Sep 2010, 17:00
  3. Receiver tow hitch for 110?
    By Prospector in forum Land Rover Defender
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th May 2010, 14:19
  4. Keyfob RF receiver
    By boniface in forum P38 forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th Dec 2008, 02:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •