Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover 1 300TDI Running Problems

Default Land Rover 1 300TDI Running Problems

Hi everyone,

I new to all this but I'm in desperate need for your help and advice on my land rover.

About a week ago she started to develop a problem, the engine struggles to start, she fires but doesn't seem to want to start fully for a minuet or so, when she does start she was running fine but the engine then wouldn't turn off when you take the key out, however, if you drive it some distance then turn her of, she stops fine.

I'm thinking maybe the fuel cut of solenoid? However, more recently she has been loosing lots of power on the road, not uphill but just on the flat too n My foot will be to the floor and she would struggle to get anywhere and a couple of times she has stopped, even in 1st gear. I've changed the glow plugs but no change, maybe there's a fuel problem... Injectors? Lift pump? Filter? Sedimenter? I have no idea...

Could someone please give some advice on where I should be looking? I'm in Carlisle Cumbria and if anyone is close and fancies helping me out that would be great as I'm needing the landy for work and can't afford to to have her running... Also can't afford to go to a garage and have expensive work done.

Many thanks guys!

Articles Editor & Moderator Satancom's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Land Rover 1 300TDI Running Problems

I would change the fuel filter, whip the fuel stop solenoid out and check its all clean in there. If any metal swarf comes out it could point towards your pump failing soon.
    Motors : 1980 Series III 109" V8, 2004 Mazda RX-8 (it starts sometimes too)

Quick update that may help, I just bled the fuel filter as the Haynes manual said and lots of air bubbles came out with the fuel...

It did make a difference, but not for long, the accelerator cable was also slack so I tightened it...

I've ordered a new sedimenter and fuel filter, do you think replacing these things will help?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

They won't do any harm and as they are service parts its worth doing them anyway If it doesn't improve the bubbles in the fuel could point to the connections on the top of the diesel tank, these crack and allow air into the fuel lines and can give running problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Satancom View Post
    They won't do any harm and as they are service parts its worth doing them anyway If it doesn't improve the bubbles in the fuel could point to the connections on the top of the diesel tank, these crack and allow air into the fuel lines and can give running problems.
    Thanks for this Satancom it's really helpful... I tried to get to the top of the fuel tank but the screws are rusted to hell... I'll whip those off in the week and see what's what, I did hear they ate prime to cracking and things... If so, is it just a case of replacing the sender?... Do u think its worth bypassing the lot and put a new fuel pipe from the tank to the filter?

Update!

Today I replaced the fuel cut off solenoid, it was a ****** to get off, in the end I smashed off the anti tamper plastic cover to get the old solenoid out.

Anyway, the landy now stops every time without fail as soon as you turn her off! Much better than before when I would have to stall her.

Now, just need to get to the bottom of where the air is getting in the fuel line. I'm thinking the fuel sender elbow joints or the sedimenter, I'm going to replace it all anyway, I'll give an update as to what happens when I've replaced and sealed the sender and sedimenter.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Replace lift pump. Cheap, and very common fault.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
    1998 Discovery 300TDI (Disco PEW) (staying with friends )
    1988 Range Rover Hybrid 3.5V8 EFI 88" (Boris)
    2001 Discovery TD5 ES (Reginald)
    1999 Renault Clio RT Auto 1.6 (for the mrs)

Quote Originally Posted by bananahead View Post
    Replace lift pump. Cheap, and very common fault.
    It must be the lift pump?

I've sealed and checked all the fuel line from back to front, all seems ok. The engine runs fine when I undo the bleed screw on the filter, but as soon as I do it up again, there is significant loss of power and then she stops? What is happening???? So will replacing the lift pump sort this problem?

I thought I had solved it with the sedimenter but tried driving her today... All ok for 30 seconds then loss of power... Had my foot to the floor in 1st and she stopped on me!

Nothing but white foam comes out the bleed screw... New filter? I can't seem to hand prime the lift pump, the little lever for this is very loose... New lift pump?

PLEASE HELP... I NEED MY LANDY FOR WORK... TIME IS MONEY!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Dose certainly sound like new lift pump time! It's about 25quid for an OEM pump worth every penny for peace of mind.

Replacing fuel lift pump tomorrow, Is it an easy thing to do? Any advice? Like: how do I get it in position (cranking the engine??) how to crank the engine?... How to get access to the lift pump?

What if replacing the lift pump doesn't work? Where do I go then? I've done everything...

Thanks for everyone's help so far... As you can probably gather, I'm new to all this, it's my first land rover =)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Lift pump is an easy job, two bolts hold it to the side of the engine and it has a gasket behind it. Make sure you put the pipes on the new pump the right way round. It's a bit of a fiddle getting the pump on and off working around the injector pipes and other bits &bobs but you ought not to be more than 15minutes changing it. New pump should come with new nuts & olives and a new gasket.

Update and I need of help!!

I've replaced the lift pump and I still have the same problem, I undo the bleed screw on the filter and it foams, but the car runs fine, but as soon as I tighten the screw, she looses power and stops? What else can I try?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Have you changed the fuel filter?

If all has been done then run a temporary fuel supply into the fuel filter to rule out tank/fuel lines/tank pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Satancom View Post
    Have you changed the fuel filter?

If all has been done then run a temporary fuel supply into the fuel filter to rule out tank/fuel lines/tank pick up.
    I've replaced fuel filter, lift pump, sedimenter and sealed the elbows on the sender unit... I'm thinking the pipe maybe split.... Although no leak, air is thinner than diesel so might be getting in. Will get 5 or so metres of 8mm fuel pipe tomorrow and put it from the sender to the lift pump?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Might be worth taking out the pick-up pipe while you're at the tank and checking it too.
    My Land Rovers over the years
    1975 Series III 88" SOLD
    1985 RRC 3.5 Vogue SOLD
    1982 Series III 88" SOLD
    1985 90 Updated to a 300TDi Defender SOLD
    1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
    1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE Broken for parts
    1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE Under rebuild
    1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE Offroader SOLD
    1993 RRC No engine Vogue Spare parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information