Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Radios

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default CB Radios

I'm not entirely sure where to post this thread, so I'm going to post it here and see.

I've heard horror stories of Customs staff confiscating CB radios from overlanders in certain African countries.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
    Eben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: CB Radios

Hi Eben,

I'll bet you were expecting me to respond...

I have travelled everywhere with an HF radio in my vehicle, and a massive HF antenna on the back.

I've never had ANY hassles in Namibia, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana or South Africa.

I do make sure that I remove the antenna before going through the border, just in case, and I don't draw attention to the radio. Also, the radio always looks a bit dirty and well-used. I think this helps them miss the radio if they search the van because it just looks like part of the landy, and doesn't "stick" out.

Botswana used to be full of s**t regarding radios, but they're pretty relaxed now. I believe that Kenya is particularly sticky, but I have no recent info.

I would not like to take a radio into Sudan or Somalia at the moment, but then again, I wouldn't like to take anything into Sudan and Somalia at the moment.

Marc
    Safari N'jema - Hamba Kahle

4 8 15 16 23 42

2006 300Tdi Kalahari S/W - White and muddy

1970 SIIA 88" - Semi-matte dark green

2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE - Cairns Blue

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Marc

Thanks for the update and the extra info.

I'm worried about Egypt, Algeria and Morocco as we'll be passing through them on our way back from Siberia. I've heard horror stories about Morocco.

The DHL man dropped my new ICOM IC-706 MKII-G transceiver with remote mounting kit off today. This thing can fry eggs at 10:00am and will be popped into Big Blue as soon as Matilda has moved out of the workshop. All the work on that Series 2A is going to cost me less than this one transceiver for the blue 110. There's a lot to be said for those old Landy's

I've got 2m/70cm transmission and reception covered with a micro antenna that was supplied with the rig, but I now need to get an antenna for the 0-30 and 50Mhz side of things. As a kid, I remember police Land Rovers running around what was then Rhodesia with those rather substantial sprung coil HF steel whip aerials. What vehicle mounting options are available today? I'm obviously not interested in something that sits on the roof with a magmount. I also need something with big nuts as I can guarantey you there won't be a community repeater anywhere nearby the day the rig is needed to call in an ambo. I can move the CB aerial to make way for an HF antenna, but would prefer to only do so if it's absolutely necessary and really like the idea of a long metal whip at the back of the truck.

Cheers
    Eben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Eban,

The first two times I went to Morocco (lone vehicle) I went through the border/customs with aerial up and CB on display. Nothing was said. It was ignorance on my part as it didn't cross my mind that it may be a problem. The last two times I've gone through I've been in company with other vehicles whose occupants were quite paronoid about the CBs being seen so I followed suit and took down my aerial and covered the radio. I've since read that CBs are a no no in Morocco. I've also been stopped twice by the Moroccan Police (speeding & crossing a white line) who saw but didn't say a word about the CB. I did question whether his Mk 1 eyeballs had been callibrated lately regarding the speeding: He just smiled and gave me an on the spot fine of about 25. I think for the official line on such things is to go through the country's embassy or consulate. And of course, Ignorance is Bliss ............ until you get your radio gear confiscated!!

AJ

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for the info AJ.

Eben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

while were on the subject......
    CB licences (for the UK). do you need one, how much are they and where do you get them from? i heard that you didn't need a licence until you are 21?? seems a bit strange to me, sounds like pub talk

cheers, ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Breese
    while were on the subject......
    CB licences (for the UK). do you need one, how much are they and where do you get them from? i heard that you didn't need a licence until you are 21?? seems a bit strange to me, sounds like pub talk

cheers, ben
    Ben, Hi,
    There's a link to the radio Comms agency in this post
    Should explain it better than I can, AFAIK your pub talk is right about the U21's.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

AFAIK your pub talk is right about the U21's.
    cheers lamlarra, must be labour talk, although the two are often confused with one another

found a good site here http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...bmanual/cb.htm for anyone else interested. you don't need one if over 75 either. don't ask me!!!

cheers, ben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hello All!

Last time I see an Icom IC706, it was not a CB but an Amateur Radio.
    You need a totally different licence to use an Icom. I went on a course for a year to get my licence. If you want to know more about where you can take the radio, without getting into trouble, then get in touch with the RSGB at
    http://www.rsgb.org/
    They will tell you where you can take the radio and if you need special permission to take it certain places.
    You may already have your Amateur callsign, but if you have not and get caught using it in the UK, you will get a big fine and get it taken from you.
    Nice radio though, I sold all of my stuff, co's I found the locals too boring to talk to. But well handy if you break down in the middle of a jungle.
    All the best Gaz
    IT'S NOT OVER TILL THE FAT LANDY SINGS

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Bit new to green laning in the UK, but is it a good idea to dig my old rig out of the loft and install in my landi. Or just stick with mobi phones to comunicate.
    2003 - Td5/G4 - My Toy
    1981 - Series 3 - Kids Toy
    1986 - 90 HardTop - Rebuild Project

Dave Pickles, Harden, West Yorkshire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

but is it a good idea to dig my old rig out of the loft and install in my landi.
    may as well, not much use in your loft it's another toy to play with anyway!!

cheers, ben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CoBoL
    Bit new to green laning in the UK, but is it a good idea to dig my old rig out of the loft and install in my landi. Or just stick with mobi phones to comunicate.
    It's great to have constant comms with whoever you're laning with. If your buddies have CBs then go for it: It's cheaper and immediate.

AJ

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eben
    but I now need to get an antenna for the 0-30 and 50Mhz side of things. As a kid, I remember police Land Rovers running around what was then Rhodesia with those rather substantial sprung coil HF steel whip aerials. What vehicle mounting options are available today? I'm obviously not interested in something that sits on the roof with a magmount. I also need something with big nuts as I can guarantey you there won't be a community repeater anywhere nearby the day the rig is needed to call in an ambo. I can move the CB aerial to make way for an HF antenna, but would prefer to only do so if it's absolutely necessary and really like the idea of a long metal whip at the back of the truck.
    As with so many things in life, there is no simple solution to your problem.

Firstly, there is no single antenna that can cover 3-30MHz without some form of complicated electronics. My solution is to use an antenna matching unit of some description, attached to either a 9-12ft steel whip, or a helically wound whip. I personally use a 1.4m helically would whip attached to a Motorola heavy duty ATU that is mounted on the right rear part of the roofrack. This is just about optimum for a vehicle mount installation, and is the best practical solution as far as getting a good radiated signal out.

Mounting an antenna (even a very long one) at the back of a typical 4x4 is not a good solution, as much of the radiation will be shielded by the body of the vehicle. A far better solution is to mount the antenna on the front bumper or bull bar. This puts almost all of the antenna away from bodywork.

A very fine antenna is the "High Sierra" antenna made in the USA. It is a manually tuned electric drive antenna that would operate very well if mounted on the bullbar. I've use High Sierras with excellent results, and the only reason I don't still use one is that I need an antenna with ALE (Automatic Link Establishment) capability that tunes automatically. You have a switch in the cab that either lengthens or shortens the antenna. When you hear a marked increase in receiver noise you know it's virtually spot on. If I remember correctly, I spoke to over 35 different countries in one weekend from my van using a High Sierra and a 100W transceiver.

Marc
    Safari N'jema - Hamba Kahle

4 8 15 16 23 42

2006 300Tdi Kalahari S/W - White and muddy

1970 SIIA 88" - Semi-matte dark green

2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE - Cairns Blue

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Have you looked into whether some of the ex millitary FFR atu wing boxes would fit?
    A switchable antenna matching unit sounds the wauy to go with a discreet box inside the vehicle so you can switch between bands as you need and a selection of whips to cover any bands not covered by the atu.
    Or a selection of multiband aerials and a switch to change between them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata
    As with so many things in life, there is no simple solution to your problem.

Firstly, there is no single antenna that can cover 3-30MHz without some form of complicated electronics.
    Marc
    Just thought I would say, that there is a mobile antenna that covers 3 to 30 megs. It is made by a company called Outbacker. You can see their range here.

http://www.web-counting.com/cgi-bin/...ml?id=hfFTZMJU

The link above will take you to the antenna that covers 160 to 10 mtrs, which is the whole of the HF spectrum. All you will need for local chat is a 2 /70 cm whip for VHF. If you are planing on using your HF radio to get help when in trouble, then most people that you contact on it will be at least 50 miles+ away. So you will need a VHF line of sight radio to get help.
    All the best Gaz G7UVF
    IT'S NOT OVER TILL THE FAT LANDY SINGS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information