Thread: UK driving test 70 years old today

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default UK driving test 70 years old today

It is exactly 70 years today since the very first person passed a driving test in the UK at the cost of 7 shillings 6d. He was none other than Mr J Beene, hopefully a better driver than TV’s Mr Bean.

Since then, there have been a staggering 87 million tests carried out in Great Britain. But in the early days of motoring there were few rules or regulations – in fact, France was the first country in the world to introduce driving tests in 1893, along with the first registration plates and parking restrictions. By 1934, the death toll in Britain alone was 7,343, despite the fact that there were only 2.4 million vehicles on the roads, 1.5 million of which were cars.

“Motoring in general is vastly different now compared to 1935. Our job is to rise to that challenge by matching the level of the driving test to the rigours of driving today on Britain’s roads,” says Gary Austin, Chief Executive of the Driving Standards Agency. “It has been an incredible 70 years, and we look forward to ensuring safety on our roads through the test for drivers of tomorrow,” he adds.

Transport Secretary Alistair Darling agrees, pointing out that recent changes to the driving test, including the New Drivers Act and the introduction of the written theory test, ensure that new drivers fully prepare for their driving career, not just to pass a test. “The driving test has changed dramatically since the first Mr Beene passed his test,” he says. “Today, we have one of the best road safety records in the world – the number of road casualties is at its lowest for nearly fifty years, but more needs to be done – and will be done – to make roads safer.”

Indeed, even in 1935 – the very first year that driving tests were introduced – the number of road deaths began to fall dramatically, and since then the test has been adapted to reflect advances in car design and changing road layouts. Arm signals for example – when people would literally stick their arm out of the window to alert other drivers to the direction in which they were going to turn – were thankfully removed from the test in 1975. And since 1996, drivers and motorcyclists have had to pass a written theory test before they are able to take the practical driving test. But it’s not only changes to car and road design that have changed the face of the driving test over the years – world events have also had an impact, with driving tests actually being suspended for the duration of World War Two and again during the Suez Crisis.

TOP TEN REASONS FOR FAILING A PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST
    Observation at junctions
    Reverse parking
    Use of mirrors
    Reversing around a corner
    Incorrect use of signals
    Moving away safely
    Incorrect positioning on the road
    Lack of steering control
    Incorrect positioning to turn right
    Inappropriate speed
    [Source: DSA, based on 12 months to January 2004]

DRIVING TEST TIME LINE
    1888 – The first recorded sale of a manufactured car was to Emile Roger of Paris who bought a petrol-driven Mercedes Benz.
    1900 – the first British woman, Ms Vera Hedges Butler, passed her driving test in Paris
    1903 – Windscreens were introduced, made of ordinary glass, and inflicted terrible injuries in accidents. In fact, safety glass was not introduced until 1926, and was made compulsory in 1937.
    1934 – Belisha beacons provide advance warning of new pedestrian crossings.
    1935 – Voluntary testing is introduced by the Road Traffic Act in 1934.
    1951 – Zebra crossings introduced.
    1958 – The Preston Bypass was the very first stretch of motorway built.
    1967 – New drink-drive laws come in to force – the limit is 80 mg alcohol in 100 ml blood.
    1996 – A separate written theory test is introduced.
    2002 – A video hazard perception test was introduced to help new drivers recognise potential road dangers

DRIVING TEST FACTS AND FIGURES
    The first fatal accident occurred in Harrow On The Hill, London, on February 25 1899.
    The DSA now conducts 1.3 million car tests and 1.4 million theory tests a year.
    32 million people in the UK currently hold driving licences.
    The current pass rate is 43%.
    Currently in the UK, you must be 17 years of age to obtain a provisional licence to drive a car or ride a motorcycle. The only exception is if you are in receipt of a full disability allowance, when you can obtain a provisional licence at the age of 16.
    Since July 1, 1996 the ‘Community Model’ driving licence has been established by European Economic Community (EEC), with all member states now required to use this as a basis for their national driving licence.
    [Source: DSA]

NEW DRIVERS ACT
    If you first passed your driving test on or after June 1, 1997, this Act affects you.
    In essence, if you reach six or more penalty points within two years of passing your driving test – or during the probationary period – the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will automatically revoke your driving licence when notified by a court or fixed penalty office.
    To regain your full licence you must then:
    Obtain a provisional licence
    Drive as a learner
    Pass the theory and practical test again
    But remember, passing the re-test does not remove penalty points from your licence, and if the total reaches 12, then you are liable to be disqualified from driving by a court.
    Last edited by Newsreader; 22nd Jun 2007 at 00:31.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: UK driving test 70 years old today

I'm sure Bernie you remember that day 70 years ago when you passed i'm sure to you it seems like it was only yesterday
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    Orwell

RANGE ROVER SPORT 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hubber
    I'm sure Bernie you remember that day 70 years ago when you passed i'm sure to you it seems like it was only yesterday
    That's right, doesn't seem five minutes ago ...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

There's an article on the BBC website where people describe their driving test disasters etc, reminded me of a couple of stories ...

One guy I knew took his test in the 50s or 60s, no seat belts. He did it in a van, Bedford Beagle I think, tip-up passenger seat to access the battery. The examiner gives the signal for the emergency stop, Colin slams on the brakes and the seat flies forwards, propelling the examiner through the windscreen. He failed.

My brother's test was going well he thought. He had practised all the normal test routes with his intructor. He did all the manoeuvres etc, but then the examiner started directing him down all these streets that weren't ones he'd practised. Then the examiner asked him to pull over and stop. Oh dear that's it I've failed, thought my brother. But no. The examiner said he was lost! He was a relief guy brought in at short notice and wasn't very familiar with the area. He asked my brother if he knew the way back to the test centre, which he did, so he told him to drive back and it wouldn't count as part of his test. He passed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ive reaslised today that ive actually been driving for 10 years, that makes me feel soooo old
    I might not be a lady.................but im all women!!
    Janie.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Red face Re: UK driving test 70 years old today

Hi JSE

You want old. I drove my first car when I was 16 years old and a virgin. The next time I drove I was 40 and had a 10 year old child with another on the way.
    Insert Wordy quotes here: (........................)
    Insert Witless Wise sayings here: (........................)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Hayden
    There's an article on the BBC website where people describe their driving test disasters etc, reminded me of a couple of stories ...

One guy I knew took his test in the 50s or 60s, no seat belts. He did it in a van, Bedford Beagle I think, tip-up passenger seat to access the battery. The examiner gives the signal for the emergency stop, Colin slams on the brakes and the seat flies forwards, propelling the examiner through the windscreen. He failed.

My brother's test was going well he thought. He had practised all the normal test routes with his intructor. He did all the manoeuvres etc, but then the examiner started directing him down all these streets that weren't ones he'd practised. Then the examiner asked him to pull over and stop. Oh dear that's it I've failed, thought my brother. But no. The examiner said he was lost! He was a relief guy brought in at short notice and wasn't very familiar with the area. He asked my brother if he knew the way back to the test centre, which he did, so he told him to drive back and it wouldn't count as part of his test. He passed.

now that was a funny story
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    Orwell

RANGE ROVER SPORT 2007

Thread Information