Thread: Can a 1969 LR with a non original engine be registered in France?

Default Can a 1969 LR with a non original engine be registered in France?

Hi.
    After a lovely week in very sunny Normandy a plan is being hatched to move there with my partner who is originally from there. It is a longer term plan as after 6 years of living with a French girl I still haven't got my lazy ass in gear and learnt the language.

Now I hope to have the LR done before we move but might mean the 6cyl Westlake will have to make way for a diesel (possibly sooner rather than later).

At last the question you say - when I come to register the LR there would it cause issues that the engine is not the original type fitted? What else might I need to do?

Cheers for any help and I appreciate that rules may change between now and them.

Toby.

PS. Anyone fancy swapping a Westlake 6 for a tdi?

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Can a 1969 LR with a non original engine be registered in France?

I would ask about 2 things - homologation and historic status. EU rules on homolgations are much stricter than uk and we (thankfully) opted out but how they are applied seems to be country by country. Germany is very strict (no suprise) so you can get your vehicle impounded for non-standard wheels (its happened). I don't know about France. Historic may help because there are exceptions for "historic" vehicles and the defination will vary by country. What you may be able to do is get your vehicle "homologated" in the UK - ie an engineers report, if you can get the Frech authrorites to accept that, then import it to France with that, but you would never be able to change the engine once in France as this would a change from the agreed configuration.
    Landrover Series, turning a journey into a recovery

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

AFAIK if you want to register a vehicle in France, it must have the original type of engine, original size of wheels and tyres etc. I am struggling to get my One_Ten insured in France because they do not recognise a 12 seat station wagon. That model being peculiar to UK.
    You will also need a certificate of conformity, which in your case will be a heritage certificate from BMIHT at Gaydon.

It has been discussed on here before, in the Defender forum. If you do a search on there it might turn up all the information you seek.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...ght=carte+gris

1984 One_Ten CSW with 4.2 V8 Bliss!
    Iyam proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

previously owned 1981 diesel, 1968 2a, 1994 300Tdi but it was a hardtop

We'll the plot thickens as mine is a 1969 pre EU there is no COC and the 2.6 apparently never went to France anyway.....

Think I just need to decide if I will get more use from the LR as a diesel (yes) and do it. Se it while here and worry about the registering in France when it happens (I won't learn French that quickly).

New question is whether to get the LR road legal with the 6cyl and then look at diesel or to do the conversion while I work through the restoration (and it's registered as diesel currently).

Cheers

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

At a recent event I happend to be in conversation with a guy with an ex-army Merc Unimog with UK road registration. He had the same problem the other way around, the vehicle had never been homologated or type approved for civil road use. it was used by the British Army then sold off (it dates from the 1980's). DVLA were helful but MB in Germany wanted to type approve ( a non-starter). I beleive the DVLA were helpful and went on an engineers report, but of course he's keeping it in the UK and may not be able to go across the channel. Does suggest that getting the papers done in the UK DVLA and Gaydon may be the best approach.

I've been looking at driving in France with my Series and Sankey, it apprears trailers need an MOT and log book in France and can be impounded so people make up "fake" logbooks referencing the Sankey chassis plate. The annoying this is your are not commiting an offences in your home country, this could be useful post Brexit as we would not be bound by EU law, so we would keep UK compaince for a defined "visitor" period. OK for my trailer issue but not much use if you plan to claim residence. What about keeping UK residence and UK plates, how many days would you need here? (Never mind the LR, think about the state pension.)
    Landrover Series, turning a journey into a recovery

Hi.
    Not sure on the residence thing and imagine one I go that should be it. My partner has scores of family and I have few.
    Currently 45 years old so don't see that the state will be able to afford a state pension worth having by then.
    Really need to concentrate on learning the lingo but have promised myself this LR is a keeper.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

try norman http://forum.landrovernet.com/member...-frenchblatter

you re best mailing him, though his website.

he is currently selling up - health reasons. so a very nice French registered RHD landy for sale , and even better property.

Thread Information