Thread: Leaking transfer box rear seal driving me nuts

Default Leaking transfer box rear seal driving me nuts

Wondering if anyone can help.

Try as a I might I cannot stop my rear transfer box seal leaking, a considerable amount. Iíve attached a photo of the leak after a 45minute drive in the landy this morning (after refitting a new seal for the second time.
    It is leaking out from the groove in the transfer case, where it meets the handbrake plate.

IMG_0014.JPG

Iíve now changed the seal twice in the past couple of weeks and it is still leaking. Last week I bit the bullet and bought a supposedly new old stock flange off ebay for lots of cash. It was covered in old Ďwaxí type material so looked authentic but I was a bit surprised to see some old scuff / dents marks on the edge of the flange when cleaned. Anyhow, the flange sealing surface looked marginally better that mine so I decided to fitted it and it has made no difference. Very frustrating.

My next option is to fit one of the SKF / speedi-sleeves and see if that improves the seal although I suspect it will make no difference.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong / how I can fix it.

Do you think I might be overfilling the box? Iíve been using the fill plug in the transfer box and filling until the oil comes out of the hole. Is this the right way of filling the box
    Iím assuming I using the right oil - standard EP90.
    There is clear ridge that can be seen on the photo of the flange. Could this be the issue or is there were the metail oil catch thing sits (that I had to tap on with a hammer).
    IMG_0014.JPG

Grateful for any thoughts before I spend more money trying to fix it. If it was a little drip (as is the case for the rest of the landy) I wouldnít mind but itís not and its annoying!!

Many thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Leaking transfer box rear seal driving me nuts

Hi,
    I don't think your problem is the seal at all. It will be play in the rear output bearing that allows the shaft to wobble in the seal. It could even be the outer case that holds the seal that is cracked, or the shims that hold the end cover on may be bent or have grit between them.
    You will need to chock wheels (as you have no handbrake), take off rear prop, handbrake drum and backplate, and remove the speedo drive from the transfer box. This assembly uses large profiled shims to adjust the end pressure on the output bearing. Check the bearing for wear grooves, replace if it is worn and clean the shims. Use thick silicone grease on the shims when you assemble them to prevent mineral oil seeping out of them.
    With no play in that bearing the seal can do it's job properly.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

+1 wot he said! But why would you need to tap the oil catcher thing on with a hammer, it should just slip into place easily? Where was it tight? David
    1982 ex-mil 109 2 1/4 petrol on lpg series III, 'Phoenix'

1983 2 1/4 diesel 88" series III, 'Willy', currently in bits.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Also make sure the transfer box base cover plate is flat, and that it is not leaking from there and just tracking back. It can sometimes take several attempts or even a new plate to get it to seal properly and most leaks that are not the seal come from there. Sometimes the nuts are put on to tight and it distorts. I think Rocky Mountain do a nice thick alloy one with fins.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

other things to check. how is the prop? if things are loose, or tight it can run out of balance or put loads on the shaft. check both uj's and the sliding joint - form the guy who had the front of the diff snap off, learning the hard way.

also the correct fill is so it runs out of the level plug on the rear of the box. it's possible or oil to migrate from the main box or overdrive. so check after a run when he oil has cooled.

from memory the actual oil level is only just up to the bottom lip of the seal, it is possible to change it without draining oil, by jacking up the rear. so if it's leaking when stood, best to look elsewhere. maybe remove the hand brake give a good clean to pin point the spot.

the box breaths through the cover plate on top of the main box, under the seat box lip. check this Is clear.

It shouldn't leak even if the transfer box is grossly overfilled. The original 80in (which used the same seal and an interchangeable flange) was filled much higher - until they found problems with the oil migrating to the main box! Cure - drop the level.

You could also try checking the flat plate (held on by four screws) on top of the transfer box isn't loose, leaking oil, and tracking down to the area that you think is the culprit.
    For months I fiddle-faddled around trying to get the lower pan plate to seal properly - even going to the expense of buying the after-market finned aluminium alloy item.
    After a run the oil would be dripping from the pan and the prop area but with only the thinnest of smears from the actual path. Worth putting a spanner on the bolts and giving it a tweak.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hey gents,

Seem to have a similar problem on my '73 109 SIII, with constant seeping coming out of what looks like a drainage hole (?) in the outer case directly behind the transfer box. The below photo of the 2 drips was taken about 30 sec after cleaning.

IMG_0847_900.jpg

Has anyone had this?
    Ordered a number of gaskets and seals to try and have a go at stopping the leak, but after reading the above am wondering if it's the case.
    Should there normally be a plug in that hole, or why's it there?

Am over in Canada and relatively new to all this, so greatly appreciate your input. These forums have been a huge help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The point your seeing the oil leak from is the drain hole for the oil catcher to try and keep the oil off the handbrake shoes.
    Remove the drive flange and check the seal land area on the rear of it if that is ok you can replace the oil seal after stripping the hand brake off.
    1972 Series 111 SWB with 200di engine fitted with Ashcroft high ratio transfer case.
    Member of NERO [North East landrover owners club] Done some green lanes with this group planning on entering RTV trials with them also.
    Member of Cumbria Classics done some green lanes with them and some more planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_asg1 View Post
    Hi,
    I don't think your problem is the seal at all. It will be play in the rear output bearing that allows the shaft to wobble in the seal. It could even be the outer case that holds the seal that is cracked, or the shims that hold the end cover on may be bent or have grit between them.
    You will need to chock wheels (as you have no handbrake), take off rear prop, handbrake drum and backplate, and remove the speedo drive from the transfer box. This assembly uses large profiled shims to adjust the end pressure on the output bearing. Check the bearing for wear grooves, replace if it is worn and clean the shims. Use thick silicone grease on the shims when you assemble them to prevent mineral oil seeping out of them.
    With no play in that bearing the seal can do it's job properly.
    I agree.
    However IME the modern seals we are offered today are flimsy and not like the originals whatsoever.
    I don't think they are up to the job.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

If that is the case then it would be possible to get the dimensions from the seal and get a different reputable make, maybe in a different configuration like double lipped. I've found Bearmach to be good enough.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I used the Britpart one with the G for genuine number last time and it hasn't leaked yet.David
    1982 ex-mil 109 2 1/4 petrol on lpg series III, 'Phoenix'

1983 2 1/4 diesel 88" series III, 'Willy', currently in bits.

When I rebuilt my gearbox a couple of years ago(?) I fitted a leather seal to the front output shaft; they are as you know, the same size at front and rear. Paddocks sent me a conventional seal and the leather one and I made the decision to fit the conventional one at the back because the front one is easier to change. Anyway, at first it, (the leather one), dripped oil and I resigned myself to fitting another seal but after a while the drip stopped, I suppose the leather swelled and took up the gap. Now the oil loss at that seal is minimal, par for the course, by Land Rover standards.

Thread Information