Thread: How is hub end float measured ?

Using Awaiting Confirmation Price's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default How is hub end float measured ?

My 110 now has new swivel balls and hub bearings etc. and has been reassemled up to the point of measuring the hub end float.

I've done the adjusting nut up to 61nm (or as close as I can get with a torque wrench showing increments of 5nm on its gauge) and slackened it off by a quarter turn.

I now try to measure the end float with a dial gauge. The magnetic stand is attached to the hub and the gauge is set against the adjusting nut. I think it is supposed to be on the end of the stub axle but the clamp on the stand gets in the way. I reckon the play on the stub axle and the the play on the adjusting nut must be the same as the nut screws onto the stub.

Now the issue - how do I measure the end float ? Is it the amount the hub can be pushed in by, pulled out by or the sum of the two ? This is the first time I've done this so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: How is hub end float measured ?

Is this on a late, shimmed hub or the earlier adjustable type?

I normally do it by feel, but using a DTI you need the difference between fully in and fully out. Using the hub nut should be fine.

swag

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for the speedy response.

It is a 1988 110. There is a shim to fit on the end of the axle shaft and the size of that wil be determined by using the dti to measure the play on that shaft.

This measurement now is taken before that shim is fitted.

The only other shims fitted are the ones that determine the resistance of the swivel bearings - fitted to the top swivel pin.

So I think the answer is this is the shimmed hub - but please tell me if I am wrong.

How easy is it to do it by feel - and do you know how important it is to get within specified measurements ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

when i replaced my hub bearings i just tapped out the shaft with a punch enough to get the shim on then the circlip. haven't had any probs with it!

cheers, Ben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I'd say you have an adjustable hub.
    The shims you're talikng about are the ones on the outer end of the half-shaft that go between the drive flange and circlip, yes?

I'm talking about the hub itself.
    On early hubs the wheel bearings are twin opposed taper-roller bearings. They are adjusted by means of 2 hub nuts with a lock washer between the 2. With this type of hub I wouldn't be too critical on setting precise end-float. I've always just done it by feel.
    Nip the inner nut up by hand until there is just the tiniest amount of play (re-fit the wheel so you can feel the play at the tyre.) Fit lockwasher, tighten the outer nut and re-check for play. Rotate the wheel checking for play at various points around the circumference, and also check there is no binding anywhere.

On later hubs the adjustment is performed using a tubular spacer between the 2 bearings, and only 1 hub with lock washer. You tighten the nut, measure the end-float, and by calculation, work out how much thicker the spacer needs to be to set the end float.
    If you have 0.040" end-float and it's supposed to be 0.010" you have to buy a spacer that is 0.030" thicker than the one fitted.

It's a pretty crap idea in that when new bearings are fitted the initial setting will change once they're bedded in. Meaning you have to do the whole thing all over again, including going and buying more spacers.
    The old set-up can just be re-adjusted.

swag

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I did my 86 110, and just had a good guess, its not had any probs in 2k miles, so i dont think its too crucial..

Cheers
    I once travelled far, i have the overwhelming desire to do it again.......

Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

A hound sleeps lethargically as a tiny petal is crushed by an elaborate iron arm, the hound dreams of becoming a repressive god.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

If the spacer tube is slightly curved or ridged, they are the collapsable type, used only once. ( as in Ford rear hubs) You tighten until you get correct float, it gives a bit.

( if you have too much float, you take shims OUT to bring the bearings closer together, not enough float, put more IN.)

I usually spin them and when they feel as if they are starting to nip, I back off a little. Main thing is don't get them too tight as it puts a preload on them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Oh yes!
    I put my head on back to front this morning!

swag

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I've definitely got an adjuster nut and a locknut. A lockwasher goes inbetween and there is an additional washer/spacer which goes on first before the adjuster nut.

Swag - you are also spot on about the shims going on after the drive flange/member.

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll get the wheel on in the morning and check out what I have got set now. If that is ok I'll go on to sort out the axle end float and replace the drive member,

Thread Information