Thread: discovery will not crank over

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default discovery will not crank over

Hi I'm new here. just got a Disco last week. its a '95. I already have a problem, yesterday I washed it in the morning, then drove it around a bunch during the day and then parked it for a few hours. In this time the tempurature drastically dropped to -10C. When I went to start it last night It would not crank over. some of the door pins (to turn on the interior light) were frozen shut. I thought there may have been a problem with the alarm, but I got them all working. When I turn the key, everything comes on like it should, but when I turn it to start, I just hear some solenoids clicking under the hood. It is not the battery, we hooked up another one and still the same problem. I just bought it, but it has been owned by a friend for a few months now, and it has never had this problem.

I think it has something to do with the alarm system. can anyone help me out?

also, where is the starter solenoid? could that be causing my problem? I cannot hear it clicking.

DAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The alarm on my Disco can be disabled. I'd suggest reading you r manual and doing the same. At least it will rule that out.

Your starter solenoid should be the other end of the power lead coming out of the back of the starter motor. Then with the ignition on you can 'bridge out' the two big terminals on the solenoid with an old big screwdriver and see if the engine crank; pull a the main HT lead off the dizzy or the fuel solenoid lead off the fuel pump (petrol/diesel) so that it won't start with your head under the bonnet!

HTH

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

thanks for the reply. I got it fixed. it was the starter solenoid. the guy I took it to said it was all covered in grease and would not move. thanks for the help.

I figured out it wasnt the alarm but putting the alarm into diagnotics mode. it was very good, you can test all the sensors that way.

DAN

Thread Information