Thread: TD5 Clutch Problem - Help!

Unhappy TD5 Clutch Problem - Help!

Hi All
    I'm into my second Discovery, T-reg (99) Series II TD5 GS, which I've had from new (fsh etc). It's sufferred the 'normal' list of problems: power-steering failure, oil-pump failure (new turbo etc), bonnet release etc, but the latest has me stumped.

We drove up to London a week ago on Sunday, and it behaved completely normally in heavy and slow traffic. Coming home, however, almost immediately, the clutch became much softer, and, although it operated sort-of normally when driving at speed, if I ever had to keep it floored (traffic, parking etc) it would lose pressure and eventually engage even when fully-floored, necessitating throwing it into neutral fast. Release it and it would 'recover' - back to its new looser feel. Pumping had no effect.

I took it into my local garage, who have been maintaining it for the last 3 years (and whom I trust), and they replaced the master cylinder - trying the simplest, cheapest and most obvious option first. Unfortunately, this has not fixed it, and it's much the same as it was when the symptoms first arose. They did say that the first bleed had not worked, so they had to bleed it again - even to get it back to its new loose feel.

Help! Although they'll happily do a full investigation, if anyone out there's got any suggestions about what it might be, or where they should look, which might save me a quid or so, I'd be very grateful. Could it be the bleed problem (mentioned elsewhere and on other forums), or the fork (about which I know or understand nothing )?

Regards to you all,
    Nigel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: TD5 Clutch Problem - Help!

If it's losing fluid, check the slave cylinder.

(That's the simplest and cheapest)
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Acording to my garage, it didn't appear to be losing fluid anywhere (master or slave).
    Nigel

Diagnostic Expert
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

With a new m/cyl and no fluid loss,could be the flexible bit of hose swelling-shouldnt really happen but it would explain the gradual engagement.If the slave was leaking enough to give this problem,you would soon have nothing at all. Only other things involve moving the gearbox back and inspecting the clutch and that indifferent dual mass flywheel!

Hi, sorry I can't help you with your clutch prob.
    You mention the normal probs for a 99 td5 Disco II.
    You worried me with the oil-pump.
    When did it happened? Waht's the normal milleage for that to happen?

filipe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

We get a very similar problem with Peugeot 406s and VW Golfs. The clutch pedal slowly goes to the floor and works again when released, that is the master cylinder. But, you've changed yours. They have concentric slave cylinders, these overheat with heavy clutch use, and can be a pig to bleed.

If it isn't losing fluid, then the only other thing that comes to mind is the clutch release arm is cracking and bending. When the Dual Mass starts to play up, you usually have difficulty getting the gears, slipping or a lot of noise.
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Thenks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I guess it'll need further garage investigation. From what you all say, it REALLY does look like the master cylinder, but having had that replaced, I don't know - especialy as it's exactly the same as before replacement (and I DO trust my garage).

I was being a bit sarcastic when I referred to the 'normal' problems; only 'normal' in the context of 'lots of' problems

However I love responding to requests, so this is what happened to the oil-pump. Driving along the M40, around 75000 on the clock, the oil light flashes, getting more regular until it stays on. I pull over immediately (within about a mile of the first flash), and get recovered. Initially I thought it might be the Watchdog problem of the retaining nut, but it turns out that the shaft seized - and nobody has the faintest idea why. L/R recommended a new engine (5,500+) - apparently they no longer have mechanics but 'technicians' - but my local garage repaired it for about 1600, 500 of which was the new turbo.There was no engine damage (apart from the oil pump) as there had been no floating debris, but you've only got to starve the turbo bearings for about a nanosecond.

Now, of course, the oil-pump is not a serviceable item, and should last the life of the engine, which L/R claim at 150,000 miles........

'Normal' problems .................

My 1967 IIa was never so much trouble (or cost).

Nigel

Hi cheers for the info,
    That seems the famous oil pump problem referred to in an LR internal bulletin (I don't remember which but i have seen it in www.disco2.com).
    Apparently, in the first TD5 engines the sprocket securing the oil pump pulley was not properly attached in some engines and it would came lose until one day ... disaster.
    LR fixed this by using some sort of glue. As far as I kone, these cases were covered by warranty.
    I didn't had that problem, until now... with slightly less than 90 miles.

Back to my clutch problem:
    After the replacement of the master cylinder, it was just getting worse, so I had a travelling machanic, who does a lot at my place of work to take a peep. He jacked up to look at the slave sylinder, and loads of clutch fluid ran out of the chassis; slave, however, looked fine, and he said he'd be back to bleed it.

But - when preparing to bleed it, he discovered that the hose had a hole in it - missed by my garage, when they decided to replace the master. It looks as though a bulhead clip came adrift, and the hose has been rubbing, until it sprung a hole.

So back to my garage on Monday - for a free repair - I HOPE!

Thanks for all your advice etc
    Nigel

Diagnostic Expert
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

That clutch fluid running about in your chassis is not doing any good,esp the black poster paint its got on it from the factory.Maybe the garage could help retreat it-after all we dont always get it it right first time eh ?

Thread Information