Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the difference between heating oil and Diesel ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Question Whats the difference between heating oil and Diesel ?

Morning all...../big yawn

El Thicko here

Whats the difference between heating oil for a central heating system and diesel.
    In an emergency could heating oil be used either as a part mix with diesel or on its own.
    Apart from the obvious ie fuel tax, what probs could there be ?

Just outa interest

Engineer
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You can run a simple diesel on almost any oil, even used chip oil (as long as you filter out the crunchy bits). I saw a bit on topgear with a deisel run on veg oil using a 1/100 mix with turps thinners as a viscosity thinner.

Heating oil is probably very similar to diesel, may even have less contaminants. Only downside is Mr Customs Man taking an interest in you. There may be a tracer colour or molecule in the heating oil to tag it in the same way as "red" diesel. This can be detected as much as 100 tanks full later after you have used it in a vehicle.

Customs are taking a great interest in this now: we have had to register as dealers (at work) and from 1st April all sales of red diesel over 100 litres we have to take name, address, intended use (in a yacht for God's sake!) and then report it to HMCE at the end of the month.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I put some in a tractor, when ran out of the red stuff.
    Seemed to run bit down on power otherwise OK.
    3.9 RR LPG can't beleive I bought another one

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

It was perfectly acceptable for me to run my vintage diesel powered excavator on a mixture of kerosine [parrafin to you, I think] and engine oil.

The problem is, that nowadays kerosine costs more than petrol or diesel here.

Ash

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Unhappy

The most significant problem could be no vehicle to run if the Customs & Excise catch you!

Heating oil will contain a tracer that, as has already been said, will remain in the system for a long time. If C&E suspect that you have been running on non-duty paid fuel, they may confiscate your vehicle plus fines. Its really not worth it.

We used to use red diesel to prime fuel filters on trucks when servicing them but nowadays that can land you in serious trouble.

Your engine will run, but may be more smokey/down on power.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Well without being too OT i was thinking of worse case scenario's, specificaly what if the Iraqi war got so bad that Petrol etc was in very short supply ....or worse non at all or even rationing
    Would be reassuring to know that "in an emergency" one could substitute something else without damaging the engine....and i was only thinking of real life threatening emergency situations

So in short if things did get really bad one is better off with a Diesel engine than they would if they had a petrol one

I'm sure I can bodge a propane cylinder to the LPG system.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Originally posted by stephen cobby
    I'm sure I can bodge a propane cylinder to the LPG system.

Well its funny you say that cos my next question was gonna be what grade of gaz does one use in the landy's.
    Now in the caravan if we use calor it freezes in winter.....so we use propane all year round which saves changing regulators etc.
    So which gaz does a landy use and could one really use propane.
    If so could you easily syphon some of from your own domestic gaz fuel tank.....or would it be better having some large propane bottles as a standby

I think if it's gas, and it's flamable, it'll probably run. I've heard of people running LPG cars on the blue and red cyliders. Also, if you can compress and liquidise it, you can run it on house gas.

Heating oil can be used, but it'll be a bit smokey and run rough. Should I ever need the devils own fuel, then I can drain the 2 big fuel tanks of red diesel on the boat.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ok.....so what happens to the cars running on the blue gaz in winter when it freezes ......
    .......and i know it does cos the year before last all the caravans in North Wales at New Year who had the blue bottles froze up at -12

Whereas us on the red waved bye bye to em cos we was warm and cosy

So which gaz does for cars all year, and has any one heard of gaz freeze ups

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thumbs up

I think LPG is a mixture of propane and butane. Remember though, calor gas bottles rely on heat from the air to vapourise the gas (which is why they get cold), but LPG vehicles have a vapouriser which takes heat from the radiator.
    Graham
    1974 LPG-powered SIII Lightweight

If the bottle is inside, it should be protected to some degree. I sometimes have trouble starting on gas when it's very cold, and need to start on petrol, then I can switch back over.

Using Awaiting Confirmation Takeo's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Talking Alternative fuels

Hi y'all !

In most European countries (not 100 % sure about UK) normal diesel = red diesel = domestic heating fuel, NO difference at all, except for color.

All diesels will also run on paraffin (kerosene) or JP4 (add some diesel for the right smell and it will get you tru MOT without any smoke).

Some of our German friends run their Land-Rover diesels on 75 % table oil from Aldi or Lidl + 25 % diesel. They even demonstrated that in Billing 2002. No apparent problems, except for some smell. Cheaper than pump diesel.

A 3.5 L V8 (carbs) will run happily on 1 part methanol + 1 part acetone + 3 % lead acetate (50 % cheaper than petrol). DO NOT TRY THIS !!!

LPG = usually a mix of 50 % propane and 50 % butane, because butane freezes in winter. All lpg systems will run on straight propane, but make sure that you get the gas in the liquid phase to the evaporator or use special forklift truck gas bottles.

All of the above info is given for educational purposes only. Please only use legal fuels in your trucks !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

'need to start on petrol'

That is the important phrase isn't it ?
    Gas can be used on petrol engines but not diesel engines. Whereas cooking oil can be used in a diesel engine but not a petrol engine.

Mark.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Originally posted by G r a h a m
    but LPG vehicles have a vapouriser which takes heat from the radiator.
    But doesnt that mean you've gotta run on petrol for longer in the winter until the rad is warm enough......and what if the gaz has froze.....will that mean it'll take even longer to vapourize

Thanks for that "educational" info Takeo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information