Thread: Gurgling noise at engine turn off

Default Gurgling noise at engine turn off

MY04 freelander 1.8SE with 16k miles. still under warranty

When the engine is turned off there is a gurgling noise that carries on for about 10 seconds that you can hear inside the car from behind the dash area.

No mayonaise in the filler cap or on the dipstick. No loss of coolant.

Has been making this noise for about the last 2k miles.

Is this just likely to be a bit of trapped air, or early headgasket symtoms?

Thanks in advance.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Question Re: Gurgling noise at engine turn off

I've no idea but my guess would be trapped air in cooling system/heater matrix.
    interested to know what when you get it fixed

Apprentice
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Gurgling noise at engine turn off

Sounds like overheating to me.
    Maybe the coolant is boiling and when turn the engine off you can hear it for a while. Boiling coolant inside, turns to hot spots and trapped air. A good reasons for starting a HGF in the freelander.
    I think you sould first bleed the cooling system and keep an eye on that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

If you need to bleed "air" from the cooling system, How is it getting there?

It sounds like the start of HGF. It is totally gone when you have Custard in the Sump and Header Tank.

If it is overheating for any reason, get it checked out.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Well i bleed the heater bleed point last night and the problem seems to have gone this morning. But i also want to know where the air came from. There is no sign of over heating apart from the this bubbling noise when you turn the engine off. the strange thing about it is that it will often happen on short journeys when the engine hasn't reached operating termperature any way.

I bleed the system by taking the pressure cap off and loosening the bleed screw just before the heater till fluid came out constantly. Is there anything else i need to do to bleed the system? Is there a how to to bleed the system on line anywhere?

thanks for all help so far.

I had exactly the same problem on a number of occassions with my 'S' reg. 1.8 which was sorted by the garage and they said they had bled the system each time. Reading the Haynes manual it says that only bleed on a cold engine and ensure that the heater controls are set to maximum heat. The manual also says that there are two bleed screws on the 1.8. There is one on the coolant pipe and one on the heater return hose.. It says that when you are refilling the system you should bleed from the screw on the coolant pipe on the left hand end of the cylinder head first until bubble free liquid comes out. Reseal it and carry on until bubble free from the second one. Run the engine without the aircon and when cool repeat the bleed operation again. Keep going through the process until no air is released.
    In terms of where the air is coming from, any cental heating engineer will tell you that when you heat water you will generate air. The trick is in the design to manage the air in the system. I am not aware of cooling system bleed valves being a common fitting on vehicle engines, but I may be wrong here. So if you have them, then I think the manufacturer is possibly saying that air will collect in the system and has to be released on a regular basis. Of course the hotter the water, the more the air generated - bit like a kettle, so I would check for air on a regular basis to ensure none has accumulated and keep an eye on the temperature gauge and of course puddles on the floor.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Parsonm
    I am not aware of cooling system bleed valves being a common fitting on vehicle engines, but I may be wrong here.
    Most cars have bleed pipes from the top of the radiator and various other places on the engine.

It is common for them to block. When coolant is lost for any reason, it is always worth checking them.

When a system is working properly, the header tank and bleed pipes will be hot. If not , the system needs checking.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

i`m sorry but parsonm you are wrong about the air in central heating system,but right about the kettle,after the water as boiled in the kettle it then as no oxegen in it the same applies to central heating as if was the case(and we have seen it)the oxegen/water on the steel rads starts to corrode then and the boiler can then delevope a syptom called kettling were the boiler sounds like a kettle more like them new rapid boil ones,so lets count that one out.

In response, first to TEMPL4R. I have to say that in over 40 years of motoring, I have only come across one vehicle that had repeated accumulation of air in the cooling system and that was my 1.8 Freelander. I have also been trying to remember another vehicle that I have serviced that had bleed valves and I have to go back to the Triumph 1300 and even then I think it was on the thermostat cover as this was the highest point in the system. I know my Seat Ibiza doesn't have any, nor did my previous Rover. I think modern design concepts play a part here. Engines are now lower in vehicles and are tiltled so as to slide under the car instead of into the passenger area in the event of a head on crash. Also radiators are not now governed to be mechanically in line with the engine cooling fan, so the units are lower. All of this means of course that the tee off the radiator for the expansion tank is probably no longer the highest point of the system. As a result any build up of air does not freely flow into the expansion tank and thus collects in heater hoses etc requiring bleed valves. Anyway the point I was trying to make was that if bleed valves are fitted by the manufacturer then it is a sure sign that they will have to be used on a regular basis.
    In response to smythe. I wasn't aware that you can reach a stage whereby no more oxygen will be given off. I thought it would just keep going until no water was left. As far as I remember the basic elements of water are Hydrogen and Oxygen with some additional base minerals depending from where the water was sourced from. When water is heated or permitted to evaporate, it returns to its base elements leaving behind deposits of lime etc which manifests itself as limescale. I can't believe that in central heating systems or car cooling system, you can reach a finite stage when it is not possible for any more "air" to be generated. Especially as most heating systems have open expansion and feed criteria with the water being topped up on a regular basis. I agree that fresh water in a system can generate more corrosion because of interaction between the different metals used and this will lead to air being generated. However, when the water becomes stale or an inhibitor is included, air generated by corrosion is significantly reduced along with a parallel reduction in the formation of limescale. As I have stated previously, I believe air generated by heating the water continues. I think we will agree to disagree on this point!
    However, it is the heating of the water that leaves the limescale deposit in both car cooling systems and central heating boilers. When this deposit reaches a critical stage, it insulates the water from the surface of the metal as on a kettle element or central heating boiler. This insulated area then becomes a "hot spot" as the water is not able to cool down the metal. However, the limescale I think then becomes very hot and the little amount of water within the scale itself turns to steam and explodes away from the area into the water. These minor explosions are I believe what is termed as "kettling". Fortunately for us modern day anti freeze in car engines contain an inhibitor to prevent limescale build up and the same can be said for the inhibitors used in central heating systems. Both car cooling and central heating systems also contain additional inhibitors to prevent the build up of sludge. This sludge is the end result of the mixtue of metals used in both systems.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I don't know anything about Central Heating, I'm a Motor Engineer, so I read your post with interest.

However, I have to say, that being a Professional Mechanical Engineer with 32 years experience, the French Cars, Renault and Peugeot mainly, due to the hoses which go all over the place and have lots of small pipes to the Inlet manifold, etc have Bleed Valves on 3 or 4 places, the notable Renault models were the 4, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 25 , 30 and Fuego. The K series engine in the Rover, MGF, Freelander and Lotus Elise all have bleed pipes from the block and the radiator to the Header Tank, it is a constant bleed.

The Mondeo, Sierra, Granada, Fiesta, KA, Astra, Cavalier, Vectra, Omega, Mercedes and BMWs of various Class, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Ssang Yong, etc, etc, all have bleed systems due to the mounting position of the radiator. All have a Header Tank.
    We had them on the Daimler Fleetline, Leyland Atlantean, Leopard, Tiger, National, Bristol LH, RE, VR buses, when I served my time and did 9 years as a Mechanic. Mainly due to the underfloor engines and heaters everywhere.

Most modern Tractors have bleed pipes on the engines.

Head Gasket Failure is usually signified by the heater getting cold as the water is purged out, mainly (but not nowerdays) because it was at the highest point.

If air/gas is getting into the system, it is by Combustion Gases getting in from a Gasket Failure, a cracked head or a cracked cylinder liner. If the system is leaking, then obviously air will take the place of the water lost, either via the place of leakage, or most commonly, the Radiator cap anti vacuum valve in it's centre.

Chris

TEMPL4R. It appears that I have been unintentially selective in the vehicles that I have known as from your list the only one I can identify with is the K series in the Freelander. And there I was swimming along in the sea of happiness!!!!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

As long as you don't have anything to do with the aforementioned Renaults, Parsonm, carry on in your sea of happiness.....

You don't know the fun you've missed...... they were abysmal.

Chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Theres no air in water (to take about)after heating it think about how you make distilled water,people who have combi boiler sytems (or multi points)can go years without topping up the water in the system so can cars ,i remember my vectra never needing any in 4 years and was in perfect condition and even my petrol freelander dont loose a drop,this week someone asked for there central heating system to be flushed as it hadn`t been done for 30 yrs and the ballvalve had seized in closed position so that hadn`t been topping it up either yet it worked perfectly with no water loss,it will probly play up now we have messed with it though !

Thread Information