Thread: Bleeding diesel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Bleeding diesel

Got the engine in and connected all the pipes and wires, now I need to bleed the system.
    I used the manual lever on the lift pump but there is no diesel getting to the fuel filter it feels like the manual lever on lift pump is doing nothing.
    What's the best way to bleed the system?
    Ex Discovery TD5 GS Auto owner, now drive a Nissan Navara.
    Range Rover TDI Sold
    Lightweight LR my play mate

If you can't whistle it, it aint music.
    Life rocks

Default Re: Bleeding diesel

If the lift pump is at the top of the cam, there'll be no stroke left in the manual hand pump. Spin the engine over to ensure the lift pump is at the bottom of the cam.
    Then check that fuel is actually being lifted to the filter by taking the feed pipe off.. Lift pump flap valves can stop sealing so it may not be pumping..
    if your getting fuel to the filter your laughing. undo the filter bleed, till full and follow it along to the fuel pump.. Of course there is a possibility that anyone of the unions from the fuel tank could be leaking air, so you'll be sucking air forever more.. Check all the joints too.

P.S Were does the milk come from in your county...Yum

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for the info The milk comes from my pet cow do you like her
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Still trying to get fuel up to the injectors I have taken some fuel out of the tank, it's not diesel that's in there i think it's cooking oil I'm thinking it wants diesel anyone any ideas? It seems rather thick could be why it's not pumping?
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Could be Graham... Might be worth taking the drain plug out of the bottom of the tank and starting afresh. It fair splurges out mind, be warned.

I think I'd go for a new filter while you're at it if you havent already..., and as tony says, crank the engine over a bit to alter the seating of the cam on the priming lever. (give it a bit more 'prime' so to speak) Do you have a starting handle? If not you may be able to turn the crank dog with a big spanner. It wont need much. (or use the starter, a quick dab, like)

It may also be worth your while taking the feed from the tank out and cleaning the gauze on that. Make sure all the connections are good and tight, it wont lift the fuel if its pulling air.

If that doesnt work, as tony says you may have a split in the diapragm of the lift pump. It's the one with no sight glass isnt it? It might be worth trying the one off the original engine, as I think it's the same lift pump. If you have the engine running with a split diaphragm in the pump, it either throws fuel out of the breather on the pump itself, or into the sump.
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks Sandy

The lift pump is different on the other engine I took it out the lever has a 90 bend in it. I think once there is deisel in the tank it will pump ok.
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Vegetable oil being that viscous, may well stop it from pumping.. It stops pumps on other vehicles.. What lift pump do you have? Ive fitted the petrol lift pump with the glass sediment bowl....perfect for diesels..
    I wasn't refering to the diaphram, that should be ok, but the little flap valves are what wont handle the thicker veg oil, or may not re-seat, hence no pumping..
    At this stage, why not get yourself a gallon of diesel and put the fuel pick-up straight into that.. Then you can see if the things pumping, and flush the fuel pipes etc.. The fuel in the tank you can then mix with more diesel and thin it down. But first you need to check that the pumps lifting..
    I've had a ball of silicon stuck in the pick-up pipe elbow, stopped it dead.. mind you I could feel it on the lift pump as I couldn't pump.. If pumping is that difficult, it will (may) be a pipe blockage.. Have you tried blowing back down the pipe.. Mind you the silicon ball I had stuck acted like the perfect non return valve.. Check your pipes!

If you can pump it but no fuel is lifting then there will be a leak in a joint.. Its never wise to have any joints in the pick-up pipe, they can leak and it'll suck air.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks Tony that's a good idea putting the feed pipe into a gallon of fresh diesel. I want to hear the engine run then i know if it's staying in the tuck i can sort all the other bits out after.

The lift pump has a lever on the side with no glass fuel bowl i have moved the engine so that it's on the cam, and it feels like it will pump but as said the oil is too thick.
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Try turning the engine over to pump the fuel through. You will get alot stronger pull from the pump then!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Has anyone got a drawing of the pipework on a diesel? I'm not sure it's piped up right.

At the moment i have fuel feed pipe from the tank going to the lift pump, from the lift pump it goes to the fuel filter, out of the fuel filter to the back of the injector pump (where the feeds are up to the injectors)
    Then a pipe from the front of the injector pump goes back and Tee'd into the return line from the injectors which then goes back to the tank.

This is how it was piped up when i got it and the engine ran, i did get it to start for about for about 10 seconds got the battery on charge again now. I still don't seem to be getting diesel to the pump.

Any thoughts.
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Sounds about right Graham.

There are flow markings on the filter body I think, but that shouldnt be a problem.

I am thinking you must have either a loose connection or a blockage somewhere prior to the lift pump, do you have the line between the pump and the filter disconnected? Might help see if anything is coming through, rateher than just the bleed nut on the filter casing.
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Yes Sandy i have the pipe off from the pump to the filter and not getting anything, I have the feed pipe into a can with a gallon of fresh diesel will check the pipe for a blockage. I also filled up the fuel filter with fresh diesel.
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Graham posts with a red face took a rag to the lift pump and cleaned all the gunge off, one of the connections is marked IN I had the pipes the wrong way around crossed over the pipes and got diesel up to the fuel fillter then the injectors, wound her over and she sparked into life. The engine sounds good no smoke out of the oil filler, just a bit from the exhaust when i opend the throttle then it clears. ticks over nice and smooth.
    Need to fit the radiator and all the gubbins throttle cable needs moding need to take off the viscous fan and sort out one that will fit.

Thanks for all your help guys I'm sure there will be more questions.
    Range Rover TDI Sold

Life rocks

Thread Information