Thread: DIY LPG Conversion

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default DIY LPG Conversion

As a mechanic I'm more a tinkerer and bodger than master mechanic.However,I've always fancied buying an old Range Rover and doing an LPG conversion.
    I'm confident about the 'plumbing' side of it- fitting the tank and fuel pipes etc- but less so on the electrics and the actual intricacies of the carb.
    How easy are DIY LPG conversions for the enthusiastic punters like yours truly ?
    0 to 60........eventually !

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I did an lpg conversion on a 2.25 series 2 about a year ago. If the rangie is to be on carbs then the wiring would be the same. In all honesty, and I'm no electrician, it was a doddle. Just a case of following easy to understand wiring diagrams and finding a switched live of the ignition switch. I found the mounting securely of the tank the hardest bit as the load deck is only alloy and needed reinforcing to stand the stress involved under braking etc.
    As an aside the hardest thing is getting it insured. my way round that was i told the insurance the lpg was fitted when i first insured the vehicle and then fitted it at a later date, when i could afford it. I was never asked for a safety certificate as i said it never had one when i bought it!
    Dean
    If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!

Trainee
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

How do you get a safety cert. if you want one?
    Glen

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Get it checked by a registered installer
    Darren

'90 Discovery TDi (need to sell/ trade in for newer Range Rover/ Freelander)

Using Awaiting Confirmation
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default LPG KIT

Get in touch with Chris Perfect, advertises in Landy mags or find website.
    I fitted one of his kits on my V8 Disco, carb model, a couple of years ago and its been absolutely supurb. Cheap to run and starts from cold even in the middle of winter. No extra for insurance, in my case anyway. Chris can supply fitting certificate if you need one.
    Paul.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default LPG

Hi All How do you get over the health and safety aspect of fitting DIY LPG kits, Any type of gas appliance has to be fitted by an approved installer even if its nat gas or LPG ie CORGI Registered installer who has to take A.C.S exams in gas safety to be able to install anything .A little known fact if you get a non registered gas installer to fit a gas appliance in your home and it blows up or it causes damage to your home your house insurance is usualy invalid ,How does it work with cars i would think the LPG fitted to vehicles would come under leisure ie caravans ,motorhomes and boats, very dangerous stuff LPG.Cheers Dave CORGI Registered gas installer.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Dave

It doesn't come under the same regulations.

Some insurance companies are happy with DIY kits, others want inspection certificates.

N*****h U***n want the earth ( and are C**p), so don't use them if my experiences are anything to go by ....
    Darren

'90 Discovery TDi (need to sell/ trade in for newer Range Rover/ Freelander)

Using Awaiting Confirmation s.stirley's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

There's no govt regulation on LPG installation for vehicles currently, they are said to be working on it. Currently they let the LPGA sort-of deal with it - but since they are an association for making their members more money they don't exactly do it how you would like.

In practicality anyone can install a car LPG system and the only thing that gets asked is for a certificate to COP11 (code of practice issued by the DVLA, but based on construction and use regs really) by some insurance companies. Our last 3 cars were LPG and we were never asked for a certificate once .. I converted 2 of the cars myself and had a local installer check them over once completed and do the first fill and tune up. Cost 50 pounds for that and around 400 for the parts for one and 550 for the other, quite a saving over the 1175 I paid for the first one to be converted by some cowboys out near Solihull who aren't even in business anymore

Feel free to PM me more questions on LPG as I'm still involved with the local installer and can get you info and kits etc through them probably.

Simon

Thread Information