Thread: freelander misfire

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Question freelander misfire

hi i'm hoping someone will be able to help me ive brought the other half a v reg freelander 1.8 i about 8 weeks ago and it has been running fine upto 3 days ago when it developed a misfire we took it to the local garage they swapped plugs leads distributor cap and it is still there they said it is probably a sensor somewhere but other than that they hadnt got a clue

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: freelander misfire

First thing on a K series, check the oil and water, for the Head Gasket.

Next get a compression check done, that will decide if it's a mechanical problem like a valve.

Did they do the plugs as well as the leads? Does it seem to be one cylinder or general misfiring? Have they checked the fuel pressure?

You didn't happen to put fuel in just before it started to misfire? They are not prone to injectors failing.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

hi yes they did fit new plugs as well as leads, the very first thing they said was head gasket but they did check compression and said it was good, the problem does seem worse after its been running a little while i wondered myself if it was fuel but they were sure it was electrical is it possible to check fuel pressure . it appears not to be just one cylinder missing but what i did notice when i drove it yesterday was it is worse when your driving really slowly say around town than it is if driven at speed

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You can check the fuel pressure using a gauge on the end of the fuel rail. has the fuel filter been changed? I usually look at MAFs when things run rough.

JONV8 is the Man for electrical problems, he's forgot more than I know on that subject. He'll probably be along to advise you on that.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

thanks a lot for your help i will get them to check fuel pressure when it goes back in on wednesday we havnt had the car long but to the best of my knowledge i dont think the filter has been changed looking at all the receipts there's no mention of it being done

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

They are in the tank, so it's not often changed. Takes about 20 minutes. Move the rear seat, take a plate off and undo the pump. It's in there.

Chris

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

despite massive expense my landrover dealer has had vehicle 3 times now and they still cant find problem despite changing plugs,leads.rotorarm/fuel filter/re programming computer . they checked compression it was good fuel pressure good changed filter anyway. it seems to have stumped even the"professionals"

Diagnostic Expert
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Tell the garage to try an engine Ecu off a known good car,10 mins work.I have a similar car with the same problem and it is down to an Ecu that wont respond properly to sensor inputs,I have cured it with a borrowed Ecu from another garage,trouble is we are stuck with finding a s/h Ecu as they are not available from LR at the moment.

Gofer/teaperson
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Manythanks for that i will get on to garage and will post the outcome

Thread Information