Thread: Rattling noise when clutch disengaged

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Rattling noise when clutch disengaged

Hi guys,

By no means an urgent problem this, but I'm curious just the same. I had the engine out of my 1996 Discovery last Winter and before refitting I decided that it'd probably be a good idea to replace the clutch as she'd done 160,000 miles on the original!

Having refitted the engine everything was fine for a while until gradually a rattling sound was heard coming from the transmission. The noise can only be heard when you're idle with the clutch disengaged, and becomes worse when pulling off from a standstill.

The noise got gradually worse until eventually settling on the level it is now, and it hasn't got any worse in about 9 months. The clutch is otherwise working perfectly.

I find that the rattling noise is VERY loud when I first start the engine, it dissapears when I put the clutch in, and then when I release the clutch it comes back at a lower level (which is where it stays unless I turn off and restart the engine again)

There's no way I'm taking that gearbox away from the engine again, especially as the clutch itself is working perfectly and the noise is no more than a minor annoyance. I am however curious as to what the noise might be, and wondered if you guys might offer some possible suggestions.

By the way, I'm not saying that my changing the clutch has definately caused the problem - it could easily be something else. It just appears likely to be related to the clutch replacement because the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed and I had recently replaced the clutch when the noise first appeared.

Thanks guys! (and girls?!)

Brian

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rattling noise when clutch disengaged

When you changed the clutch did you change the release bearing too?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

HI

was it a cheap cluch kit????

Had this problem years ago when I first fitted an Isuzu to my rangie. Turned out to be the springs in the clutch plate!!!
    Put in a decent quality Valeo plate and peace reigned supreme.
    Cheers
    Mick

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Sounds like the thrust bearing to me.
    With reference to Valeo clutches. In my experience they break rather than wear out, and whenever I've removed one, there's still material left on the disc, but components of the plate have failed. I swear by Borg & Beck clutches, and recommend them every time.
    Having said that - Valeo are fitted as standard, and fitting the 130 plate in place of the standard 200/300TDi item is a good idea.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

When I replaced the clutch I did replace the release bearing as well. I can't recall the make of the clutch I bought, I simply walked into my local Bearmachs, asked for the parts I required and I was given them in exchange for a bill! I think the clutch itself came to around the 80 mark which to me is expensive?

I'm not an experienced mechanic and it was the first time I had attempted the job so it's possible I missed something, although I did take my time and did my best to make sure the job was done properly. The clutch does otherwise work fine so there can't be much wrong with it...

A couple of people I've mentioned this to have suggested the thrust bearing, but in my experience the thrust bearing makes a high pitched rattle, where as the noise I've got is low frequency.

I'm thinking about buying a small, cheap run around car this Summer and if that happens I'll be able to afford to take the Disco off the road for while. I guess I'll take a look at it then.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Brian

Thread Information