Thread: replacing the intake manifold gasket

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default replacing the intake manifold gasket

98 disco v8 4.0 liter gasoline . My thermostate stuck open , car would not run up to temp , about 1/3 of the way i replaced it 4 days later i smelled antifreeze , i am sure its my intake manifold gasket! theres no cooliant in the oil, none burning out the exaust, small drip in the back of the motor rear of manifold, it runs fine ! what is the best way to replace what should i beware about ! I ask because you chaps are the best with landys! inlightin me! could the thermostate sticking made the intake seal leak.?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: replacing the intake manifold gasket

its the early 3.9/4 L you have have you heard about the porus block/craked linner issue while it is more common in the later engines this can happen to your block, there could be realy bad news ... is there pressure in the coolant when the car cools down?

I am at the moment rebuilding a later V8 so i am not up on the inlet manfold for your car as mine is differnt ... but get hold of the workshop manual for the car as it gives it setep my step

Aidan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

when car is cooled , i can squish the radiator hose and feel pressure , also when removing the reservoir cap there is pressure! please say thats good ,if its cracked what else will i look for?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

It could be Head Gasgets on there way out, i am not sure what elce to look for without lifting the heads, I am replacing my HG at the moment (you can see all the helpfull posts i have had in answer to my questions from people like Templar, JonV8 and Steve Medlock who know alot more about this than me) and Ed Chenug who is doing the heads on the same type of V8 you have

I am doing this work hoping that i wont have to do the block, but half expecing to have to

Aidan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thank you very much ! good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

No problem and thanks! it would it worth PMing Ed to see where he got a workshop manual for doing the work on his V8 they are realy quite good the other avenue would be the haynes manaul

Aidan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

There are 4 places where water can come out of the heads, (2 on each head, at front and rear). The front is where the water comes out and into the manifold, the rear is blanked off.

I would check the thermostat gasket again, as you have just disturbed it. It's the easiest option. Check the hose has a clean seating, they sit on white corrosion which needs cleaning off.

Chris
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the trouble is, yours is ridiculous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I cleaned both seatings on the thermostate housing , the leak seems to be in the back of the manifold , running down the back of the engine . Not leaking in the front , I am going to do a pressure test this week! how is the rear blocked , where can i find a good shop manual!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Here are the water ports.

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ........Such are they, whom God chooses for Himself, and gathers from the furthest ends of the Earth, servants from among the bravest, in Israel, to guard watchfully and faithfully, His sepulchre and the Temple of Solomon, sword in hand, ready for battle.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH and PhD Hons Drvl Cleckheaton and Grand Master of the Forum Lodge of Enlightenment

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

From the PDF file Chris provided shows that water will flow upwards from the 2 arrow pointing at, pass through the intake gasket(valley gasket) and goes up to the intake mainfold and out to the themostat hosing.
    If the black plastic coating on the intake gasket start to wear down or loosen intake bolts will create the leak at the back or the front of the engine.
    I just took care of it few hours ago, but more problems for me, seems like one of the bolts holding the water pump cover is leaking water out. I guess I need to use some thread seals before starting her up.
    I was on a camping trip during the passed few days, couldn't get in front of a computer for a while.
    Ed

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The water comes up the port on the right, that is the front of the engine, the rear port is blanked off by the intake manifold. The heads are identical, so when the other is fitted, the rear port becomes the front.

Chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

We will pressure test it this week , and check with a mirrior , i am sure this is where it is but want to be certian !!! i have lost most pressure when its cold! after sitting a while!

Thread Information