Thread: not so sunny solex

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default not so sunny solex

I have a solex carb in my landy that freezes at the drop of a hat. To solve the problem I usually lay two lengths of tartan blanket (very traditional you know!) along the edge of the bonnet, between it and the wings. This gets the air intake to draw warmer air from under the bonnet rather than from the cold gale that otherwise blows through. I was just wondering if anyone had a more elegant solution? (I have thought of household draught excluder but it does not look up to the job and it would require several thicknesses to be laid down).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy
    1964 Series IIa 24V FFR "Grunt"
    2004 VW Lupo "Loopy"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Move to a warmer climate?
    I wish I could keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open my mouth & prove it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Mmm, not very cost-effective and I would start having problems then. Good try though!

Andy the Thermophobe
    2004 VW Lupo "Loopy"

Try these then:

1. Black foam packaging material that usually comes with TVs and the like?

2. Door draught excluders, the brush type? These are normally on a cut-to-fit metal bar with balck brushes, so wouldnt look to horrid.

?

Why does it freeze up so quick? Must be other Series owners in your part of the world, what do they use that prevents freezing?

The light at the end of the tunnel is only the torch of some idiot bringing me more work......

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Yeah my weber carb seems to freeze pretty easily, or at least we think that's what it is, I was thinking about muffling the rad grille this winter (or just driving the tdi ) but the gap at the side of the bonnet hadn't occurred to me.

What about loft insulation / water tank insulation type of stuff? I think at a plumbers merchants you would find insulation that comes inside a black plastic jacket for putting around a water tank in the loft?

What about loft insulation / water tank insulation type of stuff? I think at a plumbers merchants you would find insulation that comes inside a black plastic jacket for putting around a water tank in the loft?
    NO! Full of itchy-scratchy orrible stuff! Best left in the loft.......
    The light at the end of the tunnel is only the torch of some idiot bringing me more work......

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Webasto.
    Cheers,
    Keef.
    LtWt, SIII109, SIIA88, RRC
    Bored? 9/10 owners choose: ORRP - Misfits on Mud Terrains.

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Andy,

How's about some of the door rubber strip that Paddox sell to replace the door seals? You could stick it to the under edge of the bonnet with something like Evo Stik, or a similar contact adhesive. There was a bonnet seal kit available at one time apparently, for export models I think.

I think the biggest problem is that the air going to the carb from the filter is cold....sealing the bonnet edges will warm the air in the engine bay in general, as would a radiator muff. When we had a Landy with a weber carb, it always used to ice up in cool, damp weather, though not always in frosty weather, which we assumed was due to the air humidity.
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks Guys,

I think that I may try out Screwloose's brush suggestion as it will account for the difference in gap size along the length of the bonnet without the need to be cutting and trimming too much. Or maybe a radiator muff - I hadn't thought of that Bernie! Keef's idea about the Webasto was interesting but a bit more expensive and technologically advanced than I want to go. Its funny the number of wee bits and bobs that you can fit, if you know where to look!

And yeah, Sandy, I think that humidity has more to do with it than the cold per se. Moisty misty summer nights coming back from the coast will see her splutter a bit although the air temperature is "OK".

Thanks for all your ideas folks,

Andy
    2004 VW Lupo "Loopy"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Solex on my Series has a heater element for the float bowl. Don't know how common this is and mine isn't wired up, but could be something worth looking at.

HTH

Eatin' a little cheese, drinkin' a little wine, and soaking up the rays, baby.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I had a Kawasaki GT550 once which used to ice up, always on the way home from work at 6 in the morning. Of course, when you get to the shop at 2 in the afternoon the problem is non existant.

Any way, after much wrangling, they took the bike off me for a few days to try and replicate the fault, and when it packed in on a roundabout they finally believed me. Gave the mechanic quite a fright I believe.

The upshot of all this ( I'm getting to the point, honest) was that Kawasaki started selling the bikes with a small heater in the airbox, and recalling older bikes to have them fitted.

So, perhaps the heater element for the float bowl is a good idea. Be interesting to try out to see whether it makes a difference. Is it a heater that wraps around the bowl?

I was wondering with our Weber carb if it would be at all possible to do a similar thing to Kawasaki, and maybe wrap a longer pipe from the heater circuit round the elephants trunk to warm it a bit, but I think a heater directly on the carb is a much more direct, and probably more effective way of doing it.

It does show that it's not an isolated problem though, doesn't it?, if they were prepared to think about heaters!
    Less of them negative waves Baby.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

is there a rad couling on yours mate if not then fit one this stop thw wife as it points the warm air at the carb
    "DI it" i would rather cut of my left nut

Thread Information